Server Management Question

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by obscurehero, Jun 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

obscurehero

I'm wondering if anyone has any great ideas on how to accomplish this.

Basically, I want to be able to administer a server on another network in an efficient manner. The owner of the server (an old windows xp box) doesn't know how to administer a bukkit server. After about a week of training myself (and some old programming knowledge from yesteryear) I feel fairly confident in the server as it is. Obviously, new RB's will come out as well as updates to the plugins. Not to mention updates to MC. I need to be able to periodically remote-in to the computer to manage the server directory. Is there a way to set up an FTP directly into the server folder? Should I use some kind of cloud service to manage this? Any recommendations?

I'd love to actually have it be a linux (ubuntu maybe?) box, but I know too little about using linux yet to try to tackle doing something like that on there. I know next to nothing about BASH. Although, I'd entertain the switch if you guys think it'd be a better/easier choice.

McMyHost/myBukkitAdmin and milkAdmin seem to be plugins that would be nice to help administer the server console window without having to login. McMyAdmin also looks interesting... but its only server administration still.

Can someone explain server wrappers to me. It looks like I'm headed toward that territory.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2016
  2. Offline

Redyz

Well, if you want to have total control to both the folders and the server, I'd suggest a remote management solution such as TeamViewer; but that would imply total control over that guy's computer.

3. Offline

obscurehero

That's fine as it should be a dedicated computer server! Thats actually a perfect suggestion!!

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.