Server Lag on the Server I'm hosting

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by sexyexample, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

TnT

I have half the upload speed that the OP has, but can host 5-10 concurrent people at a time. There is something else going on there.

2. Offline

SeeD419

Hmm, wonder if he/she/it is connected wirelessly.

I had some serious lag issues before I went to direct connection. I realize I'm just taking shots in the dark, but what else can we do, lol.

3. Offline

TnT

That's actually a very good question.

Lots of this kind of troubleshooting is a shot in the dark when the obvious isn't the case. I hope the OP is willing to try lots of things, because I think we're at the point of trial and error here.

4. Offline

sexyexample

I am connected using the ethernet cable so it is wired.
    What's an OP?

5. Offline

TnT

Original Poster.
    --- merged: Feb 12, 2011 4:49 AM ---
    Have you tried a ramdisk? Do you have the luxury of trying a different OS for your server (Linux makes ramdisks easy)?

6. Offline

Toasty

If you go with Linux, CentOS is a better option from a performance/stability and management perspective, but Ubuntu is mush easier to use (I suggest 10.04 as it's an LTS release).

7. Offline

Obsidian

FWIW, what're you running in the background, alongside minecraft? What antivirus/firewall do you use, along with what things are also running such as Steam, Desura, and the various IM clients?

8. Offline

sexyexample

Yes i can try different os's. I'm currently dual booting windows 7 ultimate and ubuntu 10.10.
    Only Kaspersky Internet Security in the background.

9. Offline

TnT

Does it do this in Ubuntu?

10. Offline

GamerX

Do you have monsters on?
    My server started to use very much of cpu power after i turned on monsters.
    Before i did that it could lay on 15-25% CPU usage, with running chrome with waay to many tabs open.

So im wondering if it is the monsters who is doing this??

11. Offline

sexyexample

Yes it does, but not as much.
    Can host about 5 on ubuntu.

When aggressive mobs are turned off the lag is lessened but not by much.
    The point of beta minecraft is the monsters right?

Also, the lag decreased by a lot after putting the server into a ramdisk.
    Thanks for all the help guys!!!

12. Offline

Pookie21

hey i dont know if this is still an issue for you, but i had the same issues.
    i used "java -Xincgc -Xmx1024m -jar" in my RUN, and there was a CONSIDERABLE increase in speed. took 14% off my ram usage too. Also, try setting priority to high for the javaw and java precesses, under the Processes tab in the task manager (right click task bar > Start Task Manager). :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.