Server Lag on the Server I'm hosting

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by sexyexample, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

sexyexample

Hey guys I'm extremely new to craftbukkit and was wondering if you guys can help me out.
    When 3 people are on my server it starts to lag horribly.
    I'm sure even my crap build can handle more than 3.
    When there is two people there is slight lag but is still playable.

Amd Athlon II x4 620 OC 3.00 GHZ
    4 GB DDR3 RAM

1. What OS are you using (Brand and version - Ex. Windows XP SP3)?

Windows 7 Ultimate

2. What architecture is the OS you are running (x64 or x86)?

x64

3. What version and architecture is your java install? (Type: java -version in command prompt.)

java -version command is working out

Java SE 6 Update 23 x32

4. What build of CraftBukkit are you running? (do NOT say latest. Say the build number.)

5. What command are you using to run your CraftBukkit server?

@echo off
    "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -Xms1024M -Xmx1024M -jar craftbukkit.jar
    pause

6. What plugins are you running?

Essentials
    iChat
    Permissions
    WorldEdit
    WorldGuard

7. What error are you getting (post your server.log file if possible)?

Occasional
    "[WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?"

8. What have you tried already?

I've tried more ram and running without plugins.
    No increased performance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. Offline

feverdream

Its java; its going to be slow.

3. Offline

sexyexample

Are u serious?
    So slow that it can't even support more than 3 people?
    Do you have any recommendations?

4. Offline

Plague

Some say that -Xincgc instead of the -Xms helps. Also W7 is a resource eater...

5. Offline

sexyexample

Ok will try!!!
    Also, will hosting with ubuntu be better?

6. Offline

Plague

No, if you don't know Linux just stick with windows otherwise there'll be another "HELP ubuntu noob!!!!" thread :D

7. Offline

feverdream

Your issue could be hardware; problem s we have no way to know that. Some hard-drives are slowand that creates issues as minecraft is very IO heavy on top of Java being slow.

8. Offline

sexyexample

Sorry for being so noob.
    Is this the right way to do it?

@echo off
    "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -Xincgc1024M -Xmx1024M -jar craftbukkit.jar
    pause

Also if i want to use 2GB instead what do i put for the M, just 2000M?

9. Offline

kjab

How much ram do you have?

To use 2G of ram change the command to this
    Code:
    java -server -Xincgc -Xmx2G -jar craftbukkit.jar nogui
    After adding the -server flag i noticed a reduction in lag. Also the lag may be caused by the world being generated as your users expand. This should subside once they stop spreading out. To limit the size of your world use BorderGuard

10. Offline

sexyexample

Thanks for your help!!!
    I currently use 4Gb of ram I'll look into BorderGuard.
    It sounds very promising.
    --- merged: Feb 9, 2011 2:32 AM ---
    Hold on...
    using your command i get java is not recognized as an internal or external command.
    What's the problem?

11. Offline

kjab

sorry i use ubuntu. The entire command for you should be
    Code:
    "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -server -Xincgc -Xmx2G -jar craftbukkit.jar nogui

12. Offline

sexyexample

Now i get:
    no 'server' JVM at 'ProgramFiles(x86)\Java\jre6\bin\server\jvm.dll'
    maybe -server is a ubuntu command also?

13. Offline

Plague

That's a special option, maybe the java type you installed does not support one, just run it without -server.

14. Offline

sexyexample

Ok thanks!!!

15. Offline

Chrom3

How about your internet connection?
    http://speedtest.net/
    Do that since we can run a server with more people on than you but on faaaar worse hardware.

16. Offline

sexyexample

Here you go:
    [​IMG]
    Is the upload too slow?

17. Offline

HotelErotica

Internet could be an issue, But not at 3 people, Assuming every client uses 20kb/s, 1.7Mbits should give you like 10 connections with some headroom
    --- merged: Feb 10, 2011 1:11 AM ---
    Are you running DynaMap plugin? Just one person watching that could completely eat up your upload. Nvm

18. Offline

regancali

try running ur worlds from a ram disk program for windows and see if the disk i/o is the problem. to find one google ram disk for windows. I had alot of lag until I put my worlds and programs on ram disks.

The other question is are you running the server from the same computer you are using to play minecraft? If you are you need to have at least 6gb of ram other wise your client is using 1 gb the server is using 1gb and windows is left with 2 gb and you are running into not enough ram so windows is lagging. You will also have processor issues with this kind of set up. Minecraft is extremely resource intensive.

19. Offline

sexyexample

Yes, i do play from the same computer i'm hosting.

I really appreciate all the help guys.
    Looks like its time to go ram shopping.

20. Offline

regancali

before you buy more ram make sure its the ram instead of the processor, use the system monitor to see if the processor is pegging, more than likely it is both ram and processor if playing on the same computer. For best results, you should host the server from a different computer, but that is not always possible.

21. Offline

sexyexample

With three people on, my processor is at around 60 - 80 % range.
    Sometimes up to 90%.
    This is ridiculously high.
    What processor do u use?

22. Offline

regancali

i have a phenom quad black 965 with 16gb of ram on a machine i built just to host servers, i run 6 with about 12or so players, but i don't play on my server, i use a laptop to play on, which of course lags, but everyone else gets pretty good play. My procs run about 25 to 30% for the most part unless i am running a map, i also use ubuntu 10.10 server for my operating system with ubuntu desktop installed.

If you are running at 80+% ur system is overtaxed and will lag, whether u can change it out to a more powerful proc is a question that can be answered with the right info but i will leave that to others. I think your best bet is to play on a different machine or bring your freinds and play on my server, lol.

23. Offline

sexyexample

You host 6 servers simultaneously on one machine and your processor is only at 25 - 30%?
    DAM that is crazy!!!
    Do you think that my rig can support 8 people if i play on another computer?
    Also do u mind if i go check out ur server?

24. Offline

anon

Hire a vps. Its cheap, 24/7, good internet speed and definitely can suport more than 3 players :p

25. Offline

sexyexample

I have already looked into this option.
    The server is just for a group of friends to have fun with.
    So i have no intention on spending money on a vpn.
    Thanks for the suggestion though. [​IMG]

26. Offline

TnT

I run 5 concurrent people easily on my 4600+ processor. Check your plugins. Try running the world in a ramdisk (I/O is brutal for Minecraft) and check for other processes slowing you down.

27. Offline

regancali

it would more than likely handle that many players if you were on a different machine, the client is an absolute resource pig, it will eat memory and processor until theres none left for anything and then just stop, that is one of the reasons they put the 1024 memory cap on it, if you let it run wild it will crash your system when it takes all the resources, the -Xincgc is the garbage collector, it recycles ram that is no longer being used but is still assigned, so try playing on a different machine than your server.

Yes u can check out the public world i have on my server, I host one public and 5 private whitelisted servers. There is some lag at times due to my ISP not providing consistent bandwidth up. I am changing ISP's next week to try and solve that problem. I also have maps that u can check out at the website. http://littlebigminecraft.net so take a look.

28. Offline

sexyexample

How do i access your public world?
    Do i just put littlebigminecraft.net:25565
    into the multiplayer ip connect box?

29. Offline

regancali

yes

30. Offline

SeeD419

It's the old 'find the bottleneck' game. If your RAM isn't full, and your processor isn't maxing out, it's probably your upload speed.

My processor has sat at 100% with RAM usage at 95% for hours and users claimed to experience no lag, so I wouldn't really assume it was hardware unless you physically see the hardware at it's absolute peak because even at it's peak mine still performed fine.

I'm not gonna claim to know the answer, because I don't - but by looking at your setup, my guess would be your upload speed is what's killing you. Your hardware looks more than sufficient to host a pitiful 3 connections. I've hosted 12 players on a machine very similar to yours, only with an upload speed of 5mb/s.

Just my 2 cents...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.