Server Crashing when new player joins

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by jzeta, Feb 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

jzeta

First off, here's some data on the server comp:

Java: 1.6.0_23-b05
    CraftBukkit: git-Bukkit-something-207 (MC: 1.2_01)
    Bukkit: "The server is also sporting some funky dev build of Bukkit"
    I use the following batch file to launch my server:
    "@echo off / java - Xmx1024M - Xms1024M - jar craftbukkit.jar nogui / pause" (/ = line break)
    Plugins: Essentials, WormholeXTreme
    Error messages: [Warning] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? (I thought this was innocuous, and related to the fact that I am running a dual-core chip)

Problem description: Server has been chugging along with no issues for some time now. I hadn't made any changes to it or either plugin when I started having issues. If no one was currently logged in, and then 1 person would log in, everything would function normally. However, if a second player would join, the server would freeze, some lag would occur, and then everyone would crash, prompting a "Timeout" error in the minecraft launcher for the individuals in question. I haven't had an issue like this one before. The only error message I'm getting is the one I reported above, which I've always gotten.

What I've tried: Rebooting of both server comp and server. Updating Craftbukkit, java, and both plugins. No difference, same issue occurs. Has anyone seen this before?

What I'll try next: seeing if I can reproduce the issue after removing the plugins. I feel like that's not the issue here but who knows, I'm kind of a n00b at this.

Comments? Do I get bonus points for not going "Waaaaaah, my server is broke! *whine* *nonhelpful description of issue*"?

2. Offline

TnT

So you know, that message is damn hard to get rid of, but possible. If you aren't seeing your RAM overloaded, and no CPU spike, you're probably experiencing disk I/O issues.

Replace your Java command with this: java -Xincgc -Xmx1024M -jar craftbukkit.jar nogui

Also, update your CraftBukkit. I think 207 was fine, but you might as well update if you only have those two plugins.

Something like that... :p

3. Offline

jzeta

Ok. I updated CraftBukkit (I must have done something stupid when I thought I updated it, because it seems to be in the 3's now, but oh well) and I changed my java command as well.

The issue seems (*knocks on wood*) to be resolved.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Now, just curious: what does that Java command do, and why is it better than the default one I had before?

4. Offline

TnT

When you run /version, you see the proper build number now (231)?

[quoteThe issue seems (*knocks on wood*) to be resolved.[/quote]
    Niiiiiicccccceeeeeeee

Not a problem good sir.

Check this shit out.

5. Offline

jzeta

Well, now I have fun issue. The server is running fine, but wood won't stay on fire. All the fires in the word went out, and now wood will not ignite and remain on fire without burning out. I am really at a loss on that one. Any ideas?
    --- merged: Feb 3, 2011 1:23 AM ---
    And yeah, I have 231 up now.

6. Offline

TnT

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU
    I'll check mine out. I'm going to be so pissed if that's the case.:mad:
    --- merged: Feb 3, 2011 1:33 AM ---
    You're right. There goes my home (it used to be trees.) :(

This is what you do, restore from backups, and grab an older build (that's what I'm going to do).

7. Offline

jzeta

Welp, I found the artifact site that it seems like the craftbukkit builds are posted on, but I can't seem to actually download older versions. Help me tnt-kenobi, you're my only hope. Googling seems to reveal nothing. I feel like I'm missing an easy way to get an older version.

8. Offline

TnT

I'm going to try this version once the restore stops.
    http://bamboo.lukegb.com/browse/BUKKIT-CRAFTBUKKIT-211/artifact

9. Offline

jzeta

Damn. 211 didn't work for me. I got suspicious and went back to 207, the version I originally had and still nothing. I guess a restore is essential. Here's the awesome part: I haven't backed up my server in a long while. Unless there is an automated back up system I'm unaware of, I'm kind of screwed. I suppose I could do a system restore; I think that rolls back changes made to files.

10. Offline

TnT

Yikes
    BackupPlugin

11. Offline

jzeta

Well, that will be useful going forward. Thanks for the help man. Hopefully a sys restore will do it.

12. Offline

TnT

Hopefully *crosses fingers*. I doubt it though, to be honest.

13. Offline

Pezmantbh

It's funny how you guys are angry that a bug has been fixed :p

I find that when a person griefs on one of my clients servers', the memory and CPU go up a heck lot with massive forest fires. I have been frantically searching for a way to remove all fire from the world, but only found stuff that removes it within a close range to you. This is good for me :D

14. Offline

TnT

If Notch says its intentional, who are we to argue?

15. Offline

Pezmantbh

He has said quite a few times that if there is a bug that is so awesome it makes the game more fun, he will keep it... So it would be good if there was an option to turn burning wood on and off...

16. Offline

jzeta

No one is angry, pez, except maybe at your irrelevant comments. I don't really care about your opinion on how fire works; you are welcome to it but your situation is not the same as mine. If you are trying to suggest that the fire burning out thing is an actual correct minecraft function, that would be interesting information. However, there have been no minecraft server updates recently, just 1.2_01, which I've been running for some time. This issue started occurring when and only when I grabbed the latest craftbukkit build. So logic would seem to dictate that this is a craftbukkit issue, not a minecraft issue. Perhaps I'll need to switch back to vanilla server for now.

TnT, did flipping to a backup and using an older build of craftbukkit fix the issue for you? Or are fires still burning out?

17. Offline

TnT

An early build (pre 207) will work. I just ended up dealing with it though, because I wanted to keep using the plugins. Fires are still burning out for me, on build 241.

18. Offline

jzeta

Alright, well thanks again for the assist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.