Server crashes more and more frequent, now it won't stay up for even 5 minutes

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by LEOcab, Mar 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

LEOcab

I've been running Spigot for the past several months. (Spoiler alert: this isn't a Spigot question.) For the past few weeks I've been experiencing frequent server crashes for no apparent reason. It got to a point where the server wouldn't stay up for longer than a few hours and would crash, usually right after a player login (not the same player, not the same world, and no correlation between login coordinates).

Eventually I went to the Spigot forums for help, to no avail. I removed every non-essential plugin, still crashing. Then I decided to dump Spigot and run regular Bukkit. It worked fine for a few hours (certainly longer than Spigot did) but then it started crashing again. And again, and again, and again. Yay, now I can bug you guys about it. ;)

Here's the latest crash report:
    http://pastebin.com/RNb71RJq

As you can see, it complains about the server running out of memory thanks to a horse, and there were only 2 players on. I have almost 5GB allocated to the server so I don't see how that's happening. I was monitoring the server chat as well as top (it's a Linux VPS). The last I saw was one player complaining about lag and falling off the world, while top claimed Java was using 100% CPU and 96% memory. Memory usage normally starts out low and grows a little every day, but I've never had problems with the server crashing due to memory limitations before. I've certainly never seen it reach that high of a percentage under normal circumstances.

It should be noted that I haven't made any software or hardware changes to the server between the time when it was running normally and the time the crashes started to happen. I had been using the same version of Spigot and the same plugins for roughly a couple of months.

What could be the problem here? As of that crash report I'm using the latest beta of CraftBukkit and only using the following plugins which are essential to my server functioning correctly:
    • Essentials
      • EssentialsChat
      • EssentialsSpawn
    • GriefPrevention
    • Multiverse-Core 2.5
      • Multiverse-NetherPortals 2.5
      • Multiverse-Portals 2.5
    • NoCheatPlus
    • PermissionsBukkit 2.0
    • PlayerHeads
    • Vault
    • WorldBorder
    • WorldEdit
    • WorldGuard
      • WGCustomFlags
      • WGKeepInventoryFlags
    Thanks in advance if you can help me.

EDIT: I'm no Java expert but check line #72 of the crash report. Am I right in assuming that this horse is running at a speed of 206 blocks per second on the X axis and 321 blocks per second on he Z axis? That could explain a lot, if I'm interpreting it right.

2. Offline

TnT

While I would normally lock this thread because that unofficial build you ran could possibly have caused this error, I hate to see someone lose out on getting support especially after being turned away from another community.

I would suggest running Minecraft Region Fixer to clear off the entities in your world. If that fails, you may be required to either purge that chunk the horse is in, or full on replace the world.

For best results, always stick with the server you know and trust: CraftBukkit.

3. Offline

LEOcab

Thanks for understanding, TnT. I appreciate it. I'm running region fixer right now, I hope something comes up. :)

4. Offline

TheDarkLord197

Yes, It does look like you crashed due to entities. You could try /stoplag, To see if that will stop it from crashing.

5. Offline

LEOcab

Code:
    Deleted 46 entities in chunk (6,23) of the region file: r.-1.0.mca
    Deleted 2141 entities in chunk (6,24) of the region file: r.-1.0.mca
    Deleted 100 entities in chunk (6,25) of the region file: r.-1.0.mca
    Deleted 1227 entities in chunk (7,23) of the region file: r.-1.0.mca
    Deleted 34636 entities in chunk (7,24) of the region file: r.-1.0.mca
    Deleted 258 entities in chunk (7,25) of the region file: r.-1.0.mca
    Deleted 386 entities in chunk (8,23) of the region file: r.-1.0.mca
    Deleted 2760 entities in chunk (8,24) of the region file: r.-1.0.mca
    Deleted 76 entities in chunk (8,25) of the region file: r.-1.0.mca
    Deleted 36 entities in chunk (17,22) of the region file: r.-1.0.mca

I think I've found the problem. I just got word of certain players accidentally spawning hundreds to thousands of mobs from a single spawn egg, a glitch that I've seen a couple of times before in MobCatcher. I visited MobCatcher's webpage and apparently there is no version compatible with 1.7.5, which is what my Spigot was. I'm going with that. Let's see what happens after region fixer finishes its scan and I downgrade to either Spigot or CraftBukkit 1.7.2.

6. Offline

TnT

You're seriously going to use Bukkit, and use me like that? You cannot get support for your unofficial build, so you come here where I provide you the answer you need (despite my better judgement), only to go figuratively spit in my face and go back to using the software where you cannot get support?

Here is exactly why we do not provide help to those who use an unofficial build, then switch back to using our software just to get support. I personally feel really insulted. Locked.

JBoss925 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.