Server CPU Upgrade

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by Matthewenderle, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Is it better to keep my Dual Quad-core processors that run at 2.2ghz or purchase two Dual-core processors that run at 3.0ghz? I have the money right now. I was thinking about getting them till both Minecraft and bukkit become multi-threaded and affinitive.

2. Offline

Jonchun

Right now, the 3.0ghz option does seem really attractive. However, I doubt multi-threaded servers will pop up for quite a while... Still, unless you're experiencing significant slowness with your current server, you should think a bit before you upgrade.

3. Well I am running two 1.2.5 servers and a classic server for a friend. Plus I host websites off it too. OH and soon a rsps again.

4. Offline

Jonchun

You're doing all of that at home? I think the gameserver hosting is fine, but I don't know about the websites... You should probably look into more professional solutions for a bare minimum of a cheap shared account.

(I assumed you were using your own hardware from your wording. Correct me if I'm wrong)

5. I am running it off a Commercial grade internet connection. This is also a corporate grade server. Don't get me wrong but just since most of the people on here are under 13 doesn't mean I am. This isn't your typical HP home computer with a custom tiger-stripe sticker on the side that says "Imma Frag you!". This is a $420 rackmount server that I bought. I already upgraded the CPU's from dual cores to quad thinking that it would make minecraft run better, forgetting about the affinity and treading. I'm not ignorant to computers, at all. When I did the upgrade I accidentally broke a Tantalum Capacitor "second picture and second left" off and was able to re-solder it on since I had one in my truck. Just look at those odds!

I mainly was just asking for opinions on if and why I shouldn't upgrade to a faster processor.

6. Offline

Jonchun

Oh then ignore my previous comment :D

In my opinion, upgrading to a faster processor would come down to how much load those minecraft servers receive... If they aren't very big (and don't need the power), you probably don't require an upgrade.

7. Offline

TheBeast808

Why would you buy two processors are all? Minecraft isn't even multithreaded, and it will never be multi-process.
    IIRC,
    Multi-threaded = can use more than one core
    Multi-process = can use more than one processor

8. Offline

evilmidget38

Considering he's doing more than just Minecraft on the server, there's really no reason not to. Plus it's an actual server, most of those have 2 processors come with them(unless you custom build, but they still often have two slots).

9. yes i do more than just minecraft. My business runs off it as well. I figured that I will put vmSphere on it and merge two cores together to one VM for minecraft that way it will be ~4Ghz. The version I just got licensed can do that I guess.

Plus if I only have one cpu, I only use 50% of my total ram if i have it in the two banks for cpu0 and cpu1.It only has 8 slots each cpu so that cuts my ram down quickly.

10. Offline

chaseoes

Many of the larger plugins nowdays are multi-threaded and can take advantage of the extra cores.

Darky1126 likes this.
  11. Offline

TheBeast808

Obviously. There are no plugins that take advantage of multiple processors that I know of. Multiple processors =/= multiple cores. When I said Minecraft isn't multithreaded, I was referring to the fact that most of the work is done on one thread. Obviously some things are in separate threads, like network activity and I think chunk saving, but most things aren't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.