Script Plugins, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by H2NCH2COOH, Jan 15, 2013.

?

What do you think about script plugin?

1. I'm an admin and I'm smart. Only scripts can fully express my talent.

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. I'm an admin and I don't brother myself with scripts.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I'm a plugin developer. A good script plugin will help me with my development.

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. I'm a plugin developer and I can't see any use of script plugins.

8 vote(s)
    66.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

H2NCH2COOH

I created my first bukkit plugin as a script plugin. Just after I uploaded it to the Bukkit Dev, I found out there are at least half a dozen other script plugins (and they are all better then mine T_T). So I get curious about people's attitude towards script plugins. Do you like script plugins? Do you know any? …

2. H2NCH2COOH
    Script plugins are definitely helpful and help save time when testing code which is great.

I wouldn't put yourself down by saying all the other plugins are better, for one yours supports Ruby, i don't think many other do, as far as I know anyway.

3. Offline

raGan.

I think good script plugin can replace many simple plugins, and that is very useful. I know and use only CommandHelper, which is way too good to not be used. You can literally run your server only with CH installed.

4. Offline

RainoBoy97

CommandHelper and Skript :)

5. Offline

H2NCH2COOH

100+ viewings and only 5 votes? This isn't providing any practical information…

I used to think that script plugins should provide full freedom which requires a powerful script language, but now I'm thinking that maybe simplicity plus just enough freedom will do.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2016
    CeramicTitan likes this.
  6. Offline

Ne0nx3r0

This is just my opinion, but I think many people mostly want an extremely simple pseudo-coded language to accomplish those simple, but specific tasks.

A lot of people who could code in Ruby could just as easily code their own shake-n-bake plugins in Java.

That's not to say there's not a market for it though.

7. Offline

H2NCH2COOH

Indeed.

8. Offline

Ne0nx3r0

To be fair, there is a HUGE need for plugins that give the average non-coder admin the ability to create psuedo-plugins with batch-like qualities.

If you could streamline the process of for example setting up those psuedo-coded plugins and offer a gallery of examples, you would cut the need for many small plugins.

9. Offline

raGan.

Define "enough freedom". In my opinion, good script language should be simple enough to be much faster than actually coding plugins and capable enough to replace less complicated ones completely. But of course, different users have different needs.

10. Offline

H2NCH2COOH

I believe freedom equals API size plus degrees of complexity the language can achieve. That is why I used Ruby and provided the full bukkit API.

I'm sort of afraid that a custom script language cannot cover the ever changing needs of servers.

Why don't people like to poll...

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2016
  11. Offline

Kodfod

As a fellow plugin developer I would never have to use a scripting plugin, however I do see a lot of server admins who would like one that is simple, easy to understand, easy to use, very versatile, little limitations, and very powerful.

So I can't really vote on the poll as my vote would be:
    I am a plugin developer and would never use it, but see demand for such plugin.

12. Offline

Rprrr

I'm a plugin developer (& server admin), but I don't use scripts, so that means they don't help me with my development. But I do see the use of scripts: non-developers can make simple plugins with them, so they don't have to request every, simple plugin.;)

13. Offline

H2NCH2COOH

I see, maybe I should come up with a new poll with some better choices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.