Saving/loading hasmaps with locations?

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by CevinWa, Jul 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

CevinWa

Im pretty new to coding and i've got a problem.
    When i try to save my HashMap<Location, ArrayList<Block>> it won't go using slapi. i think i need some method on converting Location to string and block to object but im not shure about how to do so and i know nothing about sereilizeable or what is it called. Really helpful if someone took the time and helped me with this. :D
    And im thanking you just for wathing this.
    //Cevin

2. you cant actually convert an streing to an location reliable, becayuse the world may be unloaded at the moment of your atempt, the same goes for block, you actually need to store the x,y,z,and the world name, and then you have al objects that arew serezizeable, so you can use the slapi to store them to a file

3. Offline

CevinWa

How do i store the x,y,z and the world name?
    And don't you have to get them back later and get them back into the location hashmap or something. thank u for helping me :d

4. He just told you, in a string.... separated by a character like ; or something.
    And then just use string.split(";") to get an array of them and then just re-create the location... pretty easy.

5. Offline

Cowboys1919

Then use another character to separate different blocks like "|"

example file "worldname;14;80;22|worldname;73;97;14" and so on,

6. Offline

CevinWa

But im like noob on this. Don't understand, is there a tutorial on doing this? cuz I really whan't to learn it.
    searched google but found nothing.

7. Cowboys1919
    It's alot of data to be manually stored and loaded, we were suggesting on how to make Location be serialized for use in object writer.

CevinWa
    You also shouldn't store Block there... you'll need a string that holds X/Y/Z too, without world because I assume it's the same world as the key locatino's world.

And you've never made strings before ? It's too easy... let me provide an example to use with a method so you don't have to manually do it over and over:
    Code:
    private HashMap<String, ArrayList<String>> blocksHashMap = new HashMap<String, ArrayList<String>>();

private String locationToString(Location loc)
    {
        return loc.getWorld().getName() + ";" + loc.getBlockX() + ";" + loc.getBlockY() + ";" + loc.getBlockZ();
    }

8. Offline

CevinWa

And then then i'l just add loc to the hashmap with hashmap.put(loc);?
    and this should be within the class where i store the block in the hashmap with?
    public void onBlockPlace(BlockPlaceEvent event){
    Material block = event.getBlock().getType();
    Player player = event.getPlayer();
    Location loc = event.getBlockPlaced().getLocation();?

9. put() has 2 arguments.... the 2nd argument must be the ArrayList containing the blocks... which I recommend you swap with String or even Vector if that's serializable.
    And why are you asking how to use that, isn't it pretty obvious what it gets and what it returns ? :/ it only has 4 lines which 2 are only brackets...

10. Offline

sayaad

I think you would want to see my post here.

11. Offline

CevinWa

Like this?
    MyArrayList.add(locationToString(loc));

12. Offline

Kodfod

for the saving/loading part

That's the best tut i have seen for this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.