Solved Saving and Loading Data

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by Nashor, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Nashor

Hello. Today I am here to ask about saving and loading data. I am working on a faction like plugin and am using XML (JAXB) to store my data. I am wondering what the best way to save and load my data is. Currently, I have the information loaded from a file onEnable and the information saved onto a file onDisable. However, if the server unexpectedly crashes, I fear the data might all be lost. My question is what is the best way to go around saving/loading my data in a safe but efficient way. Thank you.

2. Offline

PogoStick29

Save and load the file every few minutes? Also, you might want to look at my tutorial on custom config files:

3. Offline

Nashor

Thanks for the video but JAXB works perfectly for what I am doing.
    I've done some testing and here is what I will probably do. Saving a file is actually pretty quick (though my test was a relatively small amount of information I think even a larger amount will still be fast) ranging at only a few milliseconds. Therefore I will probably load the information onEnable into my storage list. Whenever a change is made, it will affect the loaded storage list variable and also save the file. This ensures that the data is being actively saved and that I also do not have to constantly load the information from the file whenever I want to fetch information.

4. Offline

PogoStick29

Sounds good :D

5. Offline

tom1000o

when i work with large plugins (like the faction like one you're making) i would usually set a sync repeating timer that saves it every 5 or so minutes, just because you never know how often changes will be made. that's just my preference tho, your way ensures minimal data loss while mine risks a few minutes of data loss for better performance on larger servers. best of luck to you ^.^

6. Offline

Nashor

You are probably right. This also seems like a bit less of a hassle than what I planned on doing. Thank you for the input!

7. Offline

tom1000o

no problem :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.