Running 3 servers on same computer with different IP's

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by ibab, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello.

So I've got a dedicated server and 3 IP's with it. I was hoping to be able to have like play.domain.com for one of the servers, then tekkit.domain.com for the other and so on. So the players wouldn't have to switch through the ports.

What I did, was just open the server.properties and gave each server different ip into the server-ip field. However, after starting up the server, the port was already in use.

I'm not an expert or know much about ports or this kind of a situations. I was wondering if this is even possible and if it is, how can I get each IP their own ports?

2. Offline

TnT

Do you have three different IP's attached to the server?

Moved to the correct forum.

3. Offline

RiotShielder

You need to put each server on a different port, you can't define a port with a subdomain, but you can do domain.com:25565/:25566/:25567 provided your ports are on 25565, 25566, and 25567.

4. Offline

Konkz

What he said.

5. Offline

Wendo

No, he doesn't. If he has 3 IP addresses, then he really doesn't. What he needs to know is if those 3 IP addresses are in fact bound to his server in some way, ideally presented as 3 separate NIC's (or aliases of a single NIC).

If this is a linux host and you have shell access run ifconfig and see what the output is, you should see the three different IP addresses, hopefully as eth0, eth0:0 and eth0:1

If not, you'l likely have to go back to your hoster and get that setup, then you can bind each server to a different IP address/NIC

6. Was on vacation at Turkey, but am now back. Thank you for the replies.
    So basically, I've got a server from OVH (Or actually from Kimsufi) and I bought 2 IP Fail-Over's which are both basically routed to the original IP of the machine.

When I type ifconfig, I will see eth0, eth0:0 and eth0:1

OVH gave me a tutorial about eth0:0 and eth0:1 and I followed those. Here's basically what I did.

Code:
    nano /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:0

DEVICE="eth0:0"
    BOOTPROTO="static"
    BOOTPROTO="none"
    IPADDR="the new IP address I got"
    NETMASK="255.255.255.255"
    ONBOOT="yes"

Exited and saved the file.

ifup eth0:0
    And the same for eth0:1.

7. Offline

Wendo

Just add one IP address each into the server.properties for each server you want to run. Each server will bind only to the IP address you have in server.properties.

In saying that, I'm doubtful that your netmask would be 255.255.255.255, that's not really a valid netmask but I've never had this exact situation so it may still work

8. Offline

jacklin213

should b 255.255.255.0

GTX_680 likes this.
  9. Even though the netmask is 255.255.255.0, it still doens't work.

In the server.properties, each server has their own IP defined. Despite of that, the second server which I'll launch tells me "[WARNING] **** FAILED TO BIND TO PORT!".

EDIT: Nevermind. I just got it working now. Thanks for the help.

10. Offline

Omnitv

Good luck managing three servers at the same time on one machine.
    I feel sad for the machine.
    -CPU
    -RAM
    -Motherboard
    -HDD

11. It has i5 CPU, 16GB RAM, 2Tb HDD and 100Mbits down/up. I believe that should be fairly enough to host 3 servers.

12. Offline

Wendo

You'll likely have HDD speed issues at the very least if any of the servers have many people. If they are all very lightly loaded (5 users each) then it'll probably be ok, but more than that I wouldn't be surprised if you some issues. Also make sure you leave a good chunk of RAM free for the OS to use as disk cache.

Also given the envorinment you're running these, I would be surprised if the netmask was supposed to be 255.255.255.0, I would expect something more like 255.255.255.248, but you provider will be able to tell you for sure, this is something you want to have right

13. Offline

ImminentFate

you seem to have enough ram, so try popping a server into the Ramdisk. However, this may stuff the RAM completely, as everything will happen in flash memory. It will be a hell of a lot quicker though.
    If you're gonna use this solely to run servers, get a CentOS operating system. No more wasted ram on keeping Windows Aero running.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.