Inactive [RPG] The MineQuest v0.61 - RPG System with Customizable Quests, Classes, and NPCs [1000]

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by jmonk, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Offline

jmonk

MineQuest - RPG System with Customizable Quests and Classes
    Version: 0.62-test
    Overview:
    MineQuest started out as a plugin to add some RPG-like progression to Minecraft. It had 8 (By default, now completely customizable) character classes (4 Combat, 4 Resource - also by default) and you gained experience by doing tasks related to the class (e.g. Warriors fight with a Sword, or WarMages cast WarMage Spells). All combat classes gained health when they went up in levels, and all classes gained related abilities at certain levels.

An example of a custom class configuration is now available: http://www.theminequest.com/node/112

Now MineQuest has grown to be a much bigger project than gaining abilities and extra health. It includes mobs that get harder over time based on a level adjustment (determined by active players in the server). It has built in economy(iConomy Supported)/town systems that are available if people so desire. Most likely the coolest thing so far is the quest system.

Good Places to start in game are /minequest, /cubonomy (economy), and /quest (questing specific). Also poking around the help pages (Linked as more information below) gives some details about more advanced commands as well.

Quests:
    MineQuest is equipped with a system that is being developed so that minecraft can have real instanced dungeons where a select party can teleport into a world that has traps, harder monsters, and special loot. When complete players are brought back to their original locations.

These quests are completely customizable as they only load from a text file. MineQuest will search the bukkit directory for the appropriate .quest file when the quest is started. This means that anyone running a server could write a quest. Not just plugin developers!

The spell system is nothing special, and I'm sure that others exist out there, but what really makes MineQuest unique is the complete package, dungeons and everything.

Requirements:
    MySQL or SQLite

Suspected Conflicts:
    Towny, Essentials Spawn, World Guard, mcMMO,
    Other plugins that modify damage/health

Video:
    This is a video of the first real dungeon created, the first time through http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq85ppcwuM8

MineQuest 0.40 Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx8tYNb0MCM

Installation:
    http://www.theminequest.com/node/3

Whats new in 0.60?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB9-N9XWfJE

Downloads:
    http://www.theminequest.com/node/35
    Backup: http://code.google.com/p/minequest/downloads/list

Support:
    Please read the following FAQ before posting your question. It will help you out by getting the answer faster and help us out by having a smaller volume of questions.
    http://www.theminequest.com/node/36
    There are some forums on the MineQuest site found below.
    http://www.theminequest.com/forum
    If you cannot solve your issues in the MQ Forums and from the FAQ and the bug does not already exist please post it on the bug tracker.
    http://bugs.theminequest.com/projects/minequest

More Info:
    Information about MineQuest and its features
    http://www.theminequest.com/node/11

Changelog:
    Version 0.61:
    *NPC Fix Item Properties (Blacksmith Capabilities)
    *Fixed Ranged Ability Bindings
    *Other NPC Property changes
    *Bug Fixes
    Version 0.60:
    *Idle Quest System
    *Main World Scripting
    *Reputation System
    Version 0.53:
    *Fixed Instancing System
    *Fixed NPC Respawning Issue
    *Updated to b860
    *Fixed money naming
    *A couple hidden features

Full Changelog:
    http://www.theminequest.com/node/74

If you love MineQuest then help keep the project alive: http://www.theminequest.com/node/164

2. Offline

Makraiz

I think he is referring to the buggy dirt left behind by super monsters every once in a while

3. Offline

relytkiller

Ok so I tried to sell some Cobble and it sold and bought for less than half of what I set the price for, Minequest shop error.png

I dont know if this issue has been addressed, but i don't have time to go through 41 pages =P

Thanks for your time

4. Offline

Makraiz

Ok, I've installed .11 and it seems that armor is indeed fixed, though now obsidian tools have absorbed the problem with cloth armor. They can't be crafted (exactly what used to happen to cloth armor), as well as the obsidian sword.
    I haven't touched the use_item_config.properties, it's still the default one that generates, though I'm playing a rogue currently and am waiting for a spell caster to get on & test the mana potions in .11.

5. Offline

wirher

I think I love you :D

6. Offline

Ziden

hey, whats the max_classes=4 stands for ? does players have limited classes to choose ? Ive got em all ! How does that works out ?

Im restarting the server and ill try minequest again :) Mabbe i could join up for developing, but jmonks kick my ass in java skills seriously. Im sorry if i posted to many 'please split', its cause would burst it out ! I keep coming back to the topic because i just love this plugin... and i want to use it badly. Im running the server w/ a good ammount of players and ill report here (or mq forums ? ) any noticed performance issues, but i belive in past versions (0.40 the one i was using) npcs and mercs were causing performance impact.

The concept of the combo is really awesome in its awesomeness i cant deny that, but more people would use it, with more ease (even to write codes for it). For me, the quest system and world script system is like a must-have in a server, its simply amazing ! Many ppl dont use it cause they dont like levels etc. Seeing that big bullet of code for minequest is scary too :D

Thanx for any replies guys , sorry if i was inconvenient =]

7. Offline

Makraiz

max_classes=4 has to do with the maximum amount of combat classes a player can have. It won't apply to the resource gathering skills, players will still have all of them if you change this option. On my server, I use max_classes=1 so that you have to pick one of the 5 classes, and stick with it. Be careful when playing with this, as once a player has chosen a class, you can't change it or remove it (without directly modifying the SQL database that is). This will also require a database wipe if you intend to implement, as all the players who already have all the classes will keep them.
    Have your players use the /addclass <classname> command if you intend to implement this option. Note that capitalization does matter when choosing a class, so it has to be Archer, WarMage, etc.

As far as splitting up the plugin is concerned, I don't really have an opinion on this. Though it may be convenient for narrowing down where plugin conflicts arise, the extreme configuration options in MineQuest allow you to turn off every single system you don't like or want to use. Just because the code is there, doesn't mean that the server is running it. Also, in MineQuest 0.40 I also experienced a notable performance issue with npcs, however 0.5 and 0.6 have both improved on this greatly.

8. Offline

wirher

Which permissions should I "add" to normal player?

Please help me!

9. Offline

Ziden

I took off resource classes and ill add a max level so players can distribute theyr levels. Did that on 0.40. Tested MQ in the current bukkit , it seems to work fine with a good performance indeed. Will test it more and when the server opens again to the public ill have tha final test.

Thanx alot for your reply =]

10. Offline

wlwhs321

i realy dont know how to install this not working and i should need tutorial (video for this mod) and mod looks awsome i want a add this mod on my server plez healp me plez!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Hey, i set it all up and now i get this error when i log in:
    I'm not sure weather this is conflicting with any of the 50 plugins i have on there. but all the other plugins are kinda required :/
    Plugins:
    • EssentialsSpawn
    • IConomy
    • MonsterBox
    • MagicSpells
    • AutoMessage
    • Permissions
    • LCDefence
    • InventorySQL
    • MinecraftRKitPlugin
    • WorldGuard
    • LCWoodCutting
    • WorldEdit
    • PermissionsPlus
    • CraftBookMechanisms
    • AutoKick
    • Netstats
    • Citizens
    • Zombebanner
    • LCCombat
    • CraftBookVehicles
    • Dynmap
    • HeroicDeath
    • Giant Trees
    • LCRange
    • XWarp
    • MCTelnet
    • P2aliases
    • LogBlockQuestioner
    • PermissionsSql
    • BukkitContrib
    • LCPrayer
    • Essentials
    • Backup
    • GrowingOre
    • LevelCraft
    • MultiVerse
    • CraftBukkitUpToDate
    • CraftBookCircuits
    • MultiInv_2.3.0
    • HideLogin
    • SignColours
    • Playerstatussigns
    • StarterKit
    • LCMining
    • CraftBook
    • LogBlock
    • IChat-p3
    • WirelessRedstone
    • LCDigging
    • LagMeter

12. Offline

ltan

Essential Spawns is your culprit. Also WorldGuard is known to mess with MQ if the two are not configured well { unless that has been fixed recently }

I am also not positive, but I think MQ and Citizens don't play nicely either.

Ziden, it is now my turn to apologize for my text :D. That is one problem with the text medium. It is very difficult to understand context and intent when all you see is the black curves that make up the letters and words, and not the warmth of a smile or twinkle in an eye that comes from a living entity that is more expressive with everything while discussing a topic. I am guilty of jumping to a, often wrong, conclusion based upon my mood at the time of of reading something on a forum and posting a hasty reply right then and there. I find it is often times easier to have someone else proof read my replies and tell me when I might be going over board on the response so that I can edit it before it incites a riot. :)

With that said, let jmonk know in an email about your desire to help out as a coder/dev-type. He has placed an open call for such help in the forums, and if you goto theminecraft.com the newest post there has the link.

Anyways, I am glad to see an old name, Ziden, still around in these forums. We need steady people here to help the plugin grow and become greater, if that is possible :), than what it currently is.

-Ltan

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2016
  13. :( Citizens is my main mod which i need. i use it for the "non-quest" part of my rpg world. EssentialsSpawn i can replace. not sure what with though. what spawning plugin doesnt conflict?
    And also. How do i configure WorldGuard to not conflict?

14. Offline

ltan

I just stopped using WG personally, that is how I configured it :p. Which brings me to the, "I no longer use it so I might be talking out of my rump" about whether or not it still conflicts or not. I think the main issue was that WG and MQ conflicted over protected areas.

As for Citizens... I am not completely positive that it absolutely conflicts. With a list as extensive as yours it might be best to setup a second server and add one plugin at a time and note which ones are conflicting and which ones don't. Tedious I know, but unfortunately not all of the plugins have been tested fully with MQ. There are just toooo many of them :(

-L

15. Offline

wirher

Hey, I wrote email to you but you haven't resolved my problem. I can't bind fireball to snowball (it works with LMB only) and archer class doesn't get any experience, when I'm shooting monsters by arrows. I sent email with logs to you. I know you've got shitloads of work, but it is very important for me!

PS: Can I disable hooking into iConomy?

16. Offline

Ziden

Thanx @Ltan. Dont worry about that !

Ive send a mail to help@theminequest as the topic jmonk posted seeking for help. Havent found minequest forums topic to post it.

PS: ive made MQ compatible with WG (specially spells) calling it on quester.canEdit. That could be my first contribution :)

The only thing it bugs its when you mix with health on WG or any other plugin such as Towny. Health in MQ is something very delicated and usually conflicts with other plugins.

Theorically if you disable WG health things it should work fine with MQ, but spells will break protected regions and so and probably will nullify an event before WG recives it giving a null point ("couldnt pass event to bla bla"). However the anti-fire spread etc works fine.

17. Offline

sunsmoon

I'm having a hard time making quests to kill # of passive mobs/farm animals.

Currently, I have:

Code:
    Name:Hides to Save Your Hide
    Repeatable:true
    Reset:false

Event:0:I:KillIdleEvent:100:1:Cow:10
    Event:1:MessageEvent:10:The Leatherworker wants you to kill cows for hides to use for armor!

Event:2:ExperienceAdd:1000:all:1500:1500
    Target:1:PartyTarget
    Event:3:T:ReputationAddEvent:100:1:Dregora:5
    Event:4:CompleteQuestEvent:1001
    Event:5:QuestEvent:1002:-1

Task:1:0,1
    Task:2:2,3,4,5

If I change Cow to Skeleton/Zombie/Creeper/Spider I can kill skeletons and receive quest credit. However, if I change it to Cow (or any other farm animal), it doesn't work. There is no error, it just doesn't recognize the kill. Is it not possible to make quests to kill cows and such, or am I going about it completely wrong?

18. Offline

wirher

I'll write again. There must be something with MineQuest, because I tried it on "fresh" server files, without any plugins and "archer bug" were there too. Also I can't bind spells to snowballs.

19. yeah i set up another server on the same vps (just copied it) and added MQ to it. and it worked fine without EssentialsSpawn. but i couldnt start the dungeon quest. i uploaded the world and the .quest file. all as it says to. but not sure what to type

20. Offline

ltan

No, I think it is in how the farm animals are coded into MC. I believe that MQ looks for a mob tag that indicates that the creature killed is a mob. You might want to change from a kill event to a gather event and have your quest look for the items that the farm animals drop.. ie eggs, meat, hides etc...

Did you assign the dungeon quest to a NPC?

Spawn a NPC:
    /spawn_npc [NAME]

Give the quest to the NPC:
    /npc_property [NAME] quest [QUESTname]

Then hit the NPC and you should be given the quest.

Verify that you have the quest:
    /list_quest

This returns a list of quests. The returned [NameAsListed] is what you need to start the quest. Ie: you have a quest file named startme.quest but the [NameAsListed] is actually Beginners Guide.

Start the Quest without world.scripts:
    /start_quest [NameAsListed]

Hope this helps.

Thanks wirher! I think jmonk is now looking into this, or will be soon. Just to verify, please post, or email to [email protected], what version of CB and MQ you are using. If you are using the Discovery Kit, please let us know what version you are using.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

21. Offline

DracoRex1812

In the download link, the modified client is Minecraft.jar. I think that's illegal. You should just post up a .zip or .rar that has all the modded files in it, not the whole Minecraft.jar file.

22. Offline

krisdestruction

Ok i've heard this before. Is this getting fixed? It's simply difficult for server owners if they say "Incompatible: Will not fix."

23. Offline

wirher

I sent it few days ago. Newest bukkit and MQ - 1000, 0.61 without Kit.
    btw. I love this project and wish you good luck :)

@up. I think MineQuest will be better alternative for Citizens. Those releases are early versions!

24. Offline

johnshone

hi so i was wondering if you could make more jobs for the npc's visit this link it will tell you what i meen by giving npc's more jobs and stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTTe4RnPJX4&feature=player_embedded

can some one give me a list of commands for the plugin

25. Offline

Makraiz

Ltan has a link to this in his signature, and it is his work.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27588455/MQCommandSheet.pdf

Note: Signatures only seem to post on your first post on any given page in the thread.

26. Offline

ltan

I am not so sure about that makraiz.. every now and then they appear again :)

Also, please note that I am a revision behind on updating that sheet. atleast 90% of those commands are valid, there are just a couple that need replacing.

27. Offline

johnshone

well im lost i just got the plugin and well there are lodes of commands that dont werk eg

Merc: /regroup /npcproperty /listmercs /setmercspawn /spawnmerc /buymerc /setmercitem /mercchar /mymercs

and i whached this video and it dont werk

ok i have sorted that out but how do you download quests

ok i need help how do npc's work i cant get them to do a quest and how do you get them to kill people

and one lased thing how do you download quests
    and one last thing how the hell do mercs werk when i do /spawn_merc [name] it dont werk or it says "A quester with that name all ready exists" pls tell me how thay work

28. Offline

sunsmoon

I didn't see anything regarding gathering resources on the reference/help pages. The closest I can find is the Destroy event, but that wont work for gathering pork or leather. Do you have an example I can work off of?

Your help is really appreciated. :)

29. Offline

Makraiz

I haven't tester mercanaries myself yet, however I know that /npcproperty does work. Except it's
    /npc_property NPCNAME flagthatyouarechanging VARIABLEDEPENDENTONFLAG

For example,
    /npc_property Odin quest heard
    If you had a quest named heard.quest this would get the npc to give out that quest.

30. Offline

johnshone

ty i understand now

ok so this is my problem when i do /setmayor johnshone it dont werk yet when i do /set_merc_spawn it says

merc spawn set but then when i do /spawn_merc it will not werk

why pls tell me what has gone rong

31. Offline

Makraiz

You can set the mayor in your config files. Go into the minequest folder and open your general.properties file. There is a line in there mayor=
    just add your name. So it should look like:
    mayor=johnshone

If the line isn't in your config file, you can just add it to the bottom and it should work.

As far as the mercenaries are concerned I haven't tested them yet so I do not know if they are working properly.