[RPG/MECH/FUN] Careers v0.7 - Murderers, Thieves, Police, Doctors, Diseases and more [1060]

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by SwearWord, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Offline

SwearWord

[​IMG]
    Notice
    Unfortunately, I will not be pushing anymore updates to this plugin and have made it private. It's too much effort to make everything configurable so that it can function to each of your desires. It's hindering me from working on the bigger ideas I have for it.

Maybe once I get it developed fully I will release another build but that won't be for a while. I will however, keep this page updated with progress and you're always welcome to drop in to my server to try out new features.

Description:
    Adds various careers and interesting mechanics to the game. Let it generate the config file and you can change things from there. I've programmed it so more careers can easily be added so send me your ideas and I'll expand this.

Suggested Usage:
    This plugin is most fun on servers where people generally stay within close vicinity to each other as opposed to spreading out all over the map. On my server I force this by using Towny and requiring all towns to border an existing towns. The result is one large city made up of smaller districts. I'm essentially using towns as districts and a nation as a town. All my players stay in close vicinity to each other making the game feel more like a multiplayer experience instead of singleplayer with chat. This allows criminals and doctors to actually be found by the people looking for them.

Requirements:
    Permissions
    iConomy

Demo Servers:
    My server only averages about 15 players so I can't really see this plugin in the large-scale that I imagined. I want to see murderers, thieves, and doctors to team up and form gangs, etc. If you're willing to run this plugin in accordance with the suggested usage I have up above, let me know and I'll add your server to this list.

Server List
    • blockface.org
    Careers (open)

Careers:
    To learn a career, right click someone who has a career with a book.
    • Doctor
      • Other players can request to be healed by right clicking a doctor. This will cost 20 coins per heart.
      • Can heal Rabies and other diseases that will be added eventually.
      • Cannot heal yourself.
    • Murderer
      • Can kill any player and take their coins.
      • If their murder is witnessed, they must kill the witnesses before being reported to the Officers. Once reported, they become wanted.
      • If their murder is witnessed by an Officer they automatically become wanted.
      • If a murderer has wanted status and is killed by an Officer, they will be jailed for 5 minutes.
    • Officer
      • Must kill all citizens reported as wanted.
      • When a successful arrest is made, the Officer will be paid.
      • Can jail citizens who are holding weapons at night.
    • Miner
      • Has a configurable chance of receiving coins when mining certain ores.
    • Thief
      • Has a configurable chance of overriding locking plugins. You must have another plugin that provides locks to players. I recommend using Towny and adding chests to the switch-ids in the settings.
      • Will be injured on failed pick attempt.
    Commands (open)

Commands
    Code:
    /c set <career> - Sets your career.
    /c set <partialname> <career> - Sets matching name's career.

/crime - Lists witnessed crimes.
    /crime <player> - Report player for committing crime.
    /crime wanted - See wanted players.
    /crime setjail - Set jail location.

Permissions (open)

careers.employ - Allows admins to manually set jobs with /c set
    careers.nohell - Prevent a player from going to hell on death.
    careers.nodisease - Prevent a player from catching diseases.
    Upcoming Features (open)

• Thieves
      • Will have a chance of overriding any locking plugin with a lockpick.
    • Farmer
      • Need ideas. Something involving spawning pigs, sheep, cows.
    • Murderer
      • Add assault and battery to the crimes.

Version 0.7 Test Build
    • Thieves can flip levers by shooting an arrow at them.
    • Assassins can poison citizens at night.
    • Doctors can cure poisoning.
    Version 0.6 Test Build
    • Hooked into Towny.
    • Officers and Knights are paid by the town.
    • Knights kill mobs for money
    • Miner gets double smelt.
    • Tamer sells wolves.
    • So much other stuff, I can't even remember.
    Version 0.5
    • Added training by right clicking someone with a job with a book (configurable)
    • Added permission node careers.nodisease
    Version 0.4
    • Added a single disease Rabies that can be cured by a doctor.
    • Allowed setting of career from console.
    • Fixed incorrect crime broadcast.
    • Smaller bug fixes.
    Version 0.3
    • Fixed some config.yml issues.
    • Added basic Thief support. Need to use external locking system (LWC, Towny).
    • Some other stuff
    Version 0.2
    • Added Hell afterlife jail making doctors more useful.
    • Murders can only happen at night.
    • Added weapons charges.
    • Players can defend themselves if attacked by murderers.
    Version 0.1

• Initial release.

Senators24 and olimoli123 like this.
  2. Offline

Geoff Winans

Sounds interesting.

3. Offline

jeffadkins51

Seems to plain without levels, or some type of ranking system.

4. Offline

SwearWord

@jeffadkins51
    Personally I don't like grinding and gaining levels. Minecraft isn't an MMORPG. It's missing the MM part. As with all leveling plugins you reach an imbalance where the players are only of two types, ultra high level or ultra low level and that's not fun for anybody. I always try extremely hard to create balance, every action has a consequence on my server.

OR we can get to to why you really posted. I just clicked the link on your signature to RealCraft. Maybe you're just nitpicking because this plugin seems to have a good chance at becoming what's listed there and that makes you a little insecure.

I'm also a fan of making Minecraft more realistic and intend to do so as I grow this plugin.

5. Offline

jeffadkins51

Makes me a bit insecure? Lol. if you would have bothered reading the entire thing, it is a whole ballpark away in difference from this plugin. It's to 'bare' and plain. I see level's for this plugin giving it a bit more fun, etc. That's all. And RealCraft has been updated ALOT, just the thread here on bukkit is no longer being updated to much.

6. Offline

SwearWord

@jeffadkins51
    First of all to and too are different words. Second it's clear from your reaction that I was right. No one arbitrarily posts on a plugin thread "This is too plain" without something deeper going on. Unless you post this on 95% of plugin submissions because most plugins are 100x more plain that this one.

But of course you're going to deny it and we'll tumble into some back and forth which I don't want to get sucked in to. I wish you luck with RealCraft, I'm sure your experiences in making Scommand and making a thread for HurpDurp will allow you to find success easily. I'm always available to contribute.

Pim1234 likes this.
  7. Offline

jeffadkins51

To be completely honest, me posting "this is to plain" had nothing whatsoever to do with realcraft. And i liked the idea of the plugin, so i checked it out - Looked pretty nice and just seemed a bit plain. That's all. And what does too and to have to do with anything? I'm posting about a plugin not asking for a grammar lesson because i misused to.

8. Offline

Alagesia

Im making a promo video for it as soon as i can , i will say it when its done :)

9. Offline

fatmarley

@SwearWord can you add me to your mailing list???!!!

This is a win for my server....Will get back to you with some suggestions.

10. Offline

Vynnr

Good plugin - would like to see the emergence of more jobs first though :O
    Is it also possible to add a pre-requisite (a charge, item costs, etc.) for using the /c set?

11. Offline

SwearWord

@fatmarley
    People still use mailing lists? :p
    Maybe I'll start one but for now, let me know your suggestions here or in a PM.

@Vynnr
    The plugin is in super infantile stage. I plan to have it grow into something huge in time where everything will be configurable. I just want to give people a taste and see how interested people are and want to hear how I can balance everything.

I'll add an upcoming features section to the post so I can absorb some of your ideas.

Version 0.2
    • Added Hell afterlife jail making doctors more useful.
    • Murders can only happen at night.
    • Added weapons charges.
    • Players can defend themselves if attacked by murderers.

You guys might want to watch this thread since I'll be pushing updates quickly.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2016
  12. Offline

fatmarley

@SwearWord I was joking...It just seems that everytime you release a plugin, I want it, need or have been looking for it.

13. Offline

SwearWord

@fatmarley
    Haha I wasn't sure if you were kidding. Yeah we're always on the same threads.

14. Offline

Moe041991

sounds like an interesting idea. I will observe this!

15. Offline

fatmarley

The hell afterlife jail is sending everyone to teh nether and not really enjoying it.

16. Offline

Plague

changelog has to show last 2 versions without a spoiler

17. Offline

iPhysX

its great because i can add a 'slut' career?
    lol. just kidding, but i really like this :D
    G'job!

18. Offline

GmK

Am exciiiiiiiiiiiiiiited!

19. Offline

SwearWord

It might have failed to regenerate your config. Delete it and you can set it to 0. I was trying to add value to doctors

Added thieves!

Please delete your config file and let it regenerate. Remember to reset your jail.
    I'm sorry for the inconvenience but I've been a bit stupid with the config.yml, will get around to fixing.

Version 0.3
    • Fixed some config.yml issues.
    • Added basic Thief support. Need to use external locking system (LWC, Towny).
    • Some other stuff
    @Plague
    Fixed the changelog.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2016
  20. Offline

fatmarley

Pandemonium...can thief be turned off?

21. Offline

SwearWord

@fatmarley
    Not yet. Just restrict /c set to admins. That's what I did, only admins can assign jobs.

22. Offline

fatmarley

Also, I am using some pvp mods on my server...like pvparena. But unless they are all murderers, you cant play it.

23. This plug-in seems really interesting, especially the lock picking feature (since it can be used with LWC). Two questions: are you able to disable the jailing feature since I want to use the Jail plug-in instead, and, on a related note, any thoughts on making this compatible with the Jail plug-in? I think it has an API now.

24. Offline

SwearWord

@LegendarySandwich
    I'm not going to be able to make it compatible with it. What makes you want to use that over this?

@fatmarley
    I'm working out an extensive permissions system so you can enable disable everything.

25. I'm not sure exactly how jails in this plug-in work, but from the looks of it, multiple jails, configurability, extra features like guards and paying your way out of jail, etc.

Also, my configuration file generates but it's blank.

26. Offline

SwearWord

@LegendarySandwich
    That sounds like a pretty bad bug lol. Let me check it out.

Yeah I don't have any of those features. These jails you get sent to when an Officer kills you after you become wanted. The time you do is configurable. Right now it's a single jail per world, but you get teleported back once you serve your time.

However I don't see this conflicting with your other jails plugin. My jails would just not have those features.

27. Hm, that is true. I guess I could just have regular jails and then the jail that this plug-in uses.

28. Offline

darth2499

this is an awesome plugin! i really like the officer feature! is there any way we can customize the jobs more like how the doctor gets paid to heal people not by request or have a vote for crime people not just by 1 person. But this is an awesome plugin

29. Offline

SwearWord

Version 0.4

• Added a single disease Rabies that can be cured by a doctor.
    • Allowed setting of career from console.
    • Fixed incorrect crime broadcast.
    • Smaller bug fixes.

30. Offline

MuttsNuts

Loving the sound of this. Just what I've been waiting for. Downloading...:)
    Please keep this going, and thank you for this sweet plugin.