[RPG] Dungeons - Create WoW like Dungeons in Minecraft

Discussion in 'WIP and Development Status' started by masteroftime, Jun 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

masteroftime

As the name of the trhead already says this plugin allows you to create Dungeons wich work similar to instances in WoW or other MMORPGs. The dungeons are built by the players on the server.

The plugin allows you to:
    • Set a start point for your dungeon to wich players are teleported when they enter the dungeon
    • Add mob wich spawn every time a player enters the dungeon.
    • Set an end point wich the player has to reach
    • Set a reward every player gets who finishes the dungeon.
    Here are some screenshots of my test dungeon:
    2011-06-04_16.08.07.png
    2011-06-04_16.09.20.png

Currently you add mobs by typing console commands. Then a mob will be added at the position you are standing.
    For entering a dungeon you also type a command and are then teleported into the dungeon.

But I dont really like the way how you add mobs and enter the dungeons so I am working on changing the system. I think I will add a kind of wand like system like WorldEdit for editing the mobs but I don't know how to change the entering of dungeons.

So: How would you like to enter and exit the dungeons? With portals?

If you want to check out how it works so far you can download it here:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24357469/Dungeons.zip

Just place the Dungeons.jar in the plugins folder and the h2.jar in the bukkit folder.

Usage:
    • /dungeon - displays all available commands
    • /dungeon create <name> - creates a new dungeon
    • /dungeon delete <name> - deletes the dungeon
    • /dungeon list - lists all available dungeons
    • /dungeon start <name> - teleports player to the start of the dungeon and starts it
    Permissions:
    Show Spoiler

• dungeons.create - create dungeons
    • dungeons.edit.others - edit dungeons other than yours
    • dungeons.delete - delete all dungeons
    • dungeons.delete.own - delete your own dungeons
    • dungeons.use - play dungeons
    • dungeons.kick - kick a player out of a dungeon

Any feedback is welcome, may it be good or bad.

sakajoao and fatmarley like this.
  2. Offline

bruceweed

I haven't tested the plugin yet. If you could include a little more information about using this plugin. Would help people out. Also as far as getting to and back I would recommend setting up a type of doorway. Example

Dirt Dirt Dirt
    Dirt air Dirt
    Dirt air Dirt
    ground ground

A place for them to enter and it takes them to the instance, and another in the dungeon to get back to the same location.

BIG NOTE: Might help to include in your post what the commands are and what they do.

Also, I added the permissions to proper group. HOWEVER, whenever I try to use the "/dungeon create" command it tells me I do not have the permission to do that. However, The permission is set in the permissions file.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2016
  3. Offline

masteroftime

I just realized that I made some stupid mistakes while writing/testing the permissions thing. However I think it really works now. Please redownload and try again.

4. Offline

bruceweed

So have you given any thought about what I said as far as the doorways?

5. Offline

masteroftime

I think I will do it like that and make the block type of the portal customizable.

6. Offline

bruceweed

On another note: the edit.others permission is apparently not working. I added it to the admin group (mine is the owner group) and he is being told he doesnt have permission.

7. Offline

masteroftime

fixed it.

btw: THANK YOU! for your patience in testing my plugin! I'll definitely add you to the credits when I release this plugin

8. Offline

Nirszio

So: How would you like to enter and exit the dungeons? With portals?

In: caves, hives, nests; which would be on the surface
    Out: Portal

9. Offline

strupan

Wow! I been bugging my dev team to do this for awhile now but they are still busy doing other plugins ._.

Great job, love the idea and creation.

Entering Dungeons: You can have it so OP can set a block or area selected to be a TP into the dungeon. Because normally, I would make a broken ruin themed entrance to the dungeon and in the end will have an arc framed door entrance which would TP you inside the dungeon (Where I am planning to put the dungeon into another world via multiverse). This way, everyone can have there own way of making an entrance into a dungeon.
    I do dislike the idea of having players typing in the commands to enter it though but I see that you have it in the configuration or permissions great!

Leaving Dungeons: There is two ways you can do this I think, one way is to elimiate all mobs in dungeon, another way is to simply have the same idea of the "Entering Dungeon" a simple set block or area selected to TP back to where ever you set TP to.

Btw, is the dungeon going to be reset-able? Like WoW? Also what if more than 1 player enters the dungeon?
    In my server, we have a party system of 5 maxium, I was thinking my dev can implement the party within the dungeon plugin to enable a system where it will requre a party of 5 to enter specific dungeons etc. If dungeon is occupied by other players, they would have to wait till they are finished with it?

Thanks for reading my suggestion, and again, great plugin and hope to see much more improvement!

10. Offline

fatmarley

I am hot for this!!!

I tested it, and I had issues adding mobs. So I did the command /dungeon addmob skeleton and it just said unknown mobtype.

**once i learn what i have done wrong, I will test more.

Also, I would like to request two things. One is an admin command to modify (after setup completed) any dungeons made. And clarification on how to use these commands/...what is the syntax???
    dungeons.edit.others /dungeon edit NAME ???
    dungeons.kick ----> /dungeon kick NAME ???

As well an admin command to teleport you to the start of a dungeon without actually starting it.

The second is the entrance to the dungeon by a steel door. To clarify, a steel door that you can place anywhere and when they step through, it teleports them to the dungeon. I think a random, ominous door with a sign that says DO NOT ENTER, would be the most EPIC entrance ever!

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2016
  11. Offline

masteroftime

The mobtypes all start with an uppercase letter and continue lowercase so it should be Skeleton. If the name contains two words it is like this: PigZombie (didn't make that rule and reprogramming it is a bit much work so it is currently at the bottom of the todo list)

and as for the permissions
    • dungeons.edit.others allows you to edit dungeons which were created by another person that yourself
    • dungeons.kick is not implemented yet
    and the entrance will probably be just a defined area on which you can place every entry you want (cave entrance, ruin, hallway, trapdoor, iron door ...)

12. Offline

fatmarley

Thanks for the response, but it wasn't the permissions I was after, but the console commands.

Will try again now that I know about the mobs...

EDIT. I got it setup and everything is working fine except for one thing. The people who do the dungeon have to enter the command /dungeon start Folly two times in order to get it to spawn the mobs and treasure.

And I have one request, would it be possible to play the music from disc 2257 as the player goes through the dungeon? just for a little more of a creep out.?

13. Offline

Tweety

I just tested this mod.

First I'd like to say, that I really like it.. Great potential!
    First I have a question about the Reward. When I tried adding 272 (/dungeon addreward 272) I got an internal error. Wrong usage? It did work with grass though .. (/dungeon addreward 2). Did I do something wrong?

Would it be possible to add an amount of money you get as a reward? I know this might be a very specific thing, but I'm using iConomy and thought this might be a nice addition.

I'd love to see a reset added to the mod, as well as maybe spawning a chest instead of getting the items directly to the inventory.

Sorry, if I did not see any of the suggestions (if they're already there^^)

Keep up the good work!

Best wishes,

Tweety :)

14. Offline

fatmarley

Could you help me out with this error?

I created a dungeon. I did some run trail runs with some peeps and had a blast.

Did a restart and got this.
    Code:
    2011-06-16 11:22:30 [SEVERE] java.sql.SQLException: invalid database address: jdbc:h2:plugins/Dungeons/dungeons
    2011-06-16 11:22:30 [SEVERE]     at org.sqlite.JDBC.createConnection(JDBC.java:74)
    2011-06-16 11:22:30 [SEVERE]     at org.sqlite.JDBC.connect(JDBC.java:64)
    2011-06-16 11:22:30 [SEVERE]     at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)
    2011-06-16 11:22:30 [SEVERE]     at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)
    2011-06-16 11:22:30 [SEVERE]     at com.bukkit.mot.dungeons.DungeonLoader.<init>(DungeonLoader.java:32)
    2011-06-16 11:22:30 [SEVERE]     at com.bukkit.mot.dungeons.Dungeons.onEnable(Dungeons.java:50)
    2011-06-16 11:22:30 [SEVERE]     at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPlugin.setEnabled(JavaPlugin.java:125)
    2011-06-16 11:22:30 [SEVERE]     at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader.enablePlugin(JavaPluginLoader.java:799)
    2011-06-16 11:22:30 [SEVERE]     at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.enablePlugin(SimplePluginManager.java:253)
    2011-06-16 11:22:30 [SEVERE]     at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.loadPlugin(CraftServer.java:140)
    2011-06-16 11:22:30 [SEVERE]     at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.loadPlugins(CraftServer.java:118)
    2011-06-16 11:22:30 [SEVERE]     at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.reload(CraftServer.java:345)
    2011-06-16 11:22:30 [SEVERE]     at org.bukkit.command.SimpleCommandMap$ReloadCommand.execute(SimpleCommandMap.java:247)
    2011-06-16 11:22:30 [SEVERE]     at org.bukkit.command.SimpleCommandMap.dispatch(SimpleCommandMap.java:128)
    2011-06-16 11:22:30 [SEVERE]     at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.dispatchCommand(CraftServer.java:287)
    2011-06-16 11:22:30 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.handleCommand(NetServerHandler.java:712)
    2011-06-16 11:22:30 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.chat(NetServerHandler.java:678)
    2011-06-16 11:22:30 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.a(NetServerHandler.java:671)
    2011-06-16 11:22:30 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.Packet3Chat.a(Packet3Chat.java:32)
    2011-06-16 11:22:30 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.NetworkManager.b(NetworkManager.java:226)
    2011-06-16 11:22:30 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.a(NetServerHandler.java:75)
    2011-06-16 11:22:30 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.NetworkListenThread.a(SourceFile:105)
    2011-06-16 11:22:30 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.h(MinecraftServer.java:399)
    2011-06-16 11:22:30 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:309)
    2011-06-16 11:22:30 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:422)
    2011-06-16 11:22:30 [INFO] Failed to load dungeons: Connection is null
    2011-06-16 11:22:30 [INFO] Dungeons Pugin loaded
    I have the h2.jar in the root folder and Dungeons.jar in the plugins folder.

The rest of my log looked like this.

Show Spoiler
    2011-06-16 11:22:41 [SEVERE] Could not pass event PLAYER_MOVE to Dungeons
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.bukkit.mot.dungeons.Dungeons.getDungeon(Dungeons.java:386)
    at com.bukkit.mot.dungeons.Dungeons.checkFinish(Dungeons.java:356)
    at com.bukkit.mot.dungeons.DungeonPlayerListener.onPlayerMove(DungeonPlayerListener.java:29)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader$7.execute(JavaPluginLoader.java:285)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.RegisteredListener.callEvent(RegisteredListener.java:58)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.callEvent(SimplePluginManager.java:310)
    at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.a(NetServerHandler.java:139)
    at net.minecraft.server.Packet10Flying.a(SourceFile:126)
    at net.minecraft.server.NetworkManager.b(NetworkManager.java:226)
    at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.a(NetServerHandler.java:75)
    at net.minecraft.server.NetworkListenThread.a(SourceFile:105)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.h(MinecraftServer.java:399)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:309)
    at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:422)

15. Offline

Dec64

I'm also getting the same error as fatmarley reported, except, i never was able to create a dungeon. also when i try to do the commands, says internal server error.

Cant wait to see this with a full release, awesome concept!

*Edit*
    Ok so i got it working on my spare server, when it works, its brilliant, but randomly it will not allow certain commands after restarts/reloads, e.g /dungeon start, will return an internal error, or /dungeon addreward.

------------
    anynews on how the development is going?

16. Offline

fatmarley

Waited patiently, now getting impatient. Please dont say you've given up already!!!!:mad:

17. Offline

Dec64

18. Offline

masteroftime

I was away the last week and I will be away for 3 more weeks so there will be no development.

And I want to add something:
    I do this in my leisure time and I don't get paid for this so shut up.

19. Offline

fatmarley

yep off to another plugin, thanks for everything, even if you decided to be a prick in the end.

20. Offline

gameswereus

This is awesome. Period.

21. Offline

sakajoao

Let´s do it like this if you will

let the teleporting do other plugins, see... i have xcraftgates for example... it works and don´t need a nother one...
    so if there are multiworlds, people probably have already some sort of tp plugin

See MobTrigger and ask the coder for his work to use in your plugin ^^ would be great, cause it is simple... but maybe so like some trigger block you must clarify first trough some sort of klicking it with a lever, since mobtrigger uses this...

other than that... great stuff you did [diamond][diamond][diamond][diamond][diamond]

best wishes

sakajoao

22. Offline

Migrosbudget

Is this plugin still working or is it not supported anymore?

23. Offline

DrBowe

I'm sorry, but being a prick at the end? Life got in the way. There's little to nothing he can do about that. I don't even care that this was posted months ago, because you stepped out of line right there.

A lot of plugin developers, myself included, take a LOT of time out of our day to code stuff so that you can enjoy it free of charge. If you expect results based on your own important schedule, than you best start paying your programmer hourly wages.

And he wasn't even being a prick, it was quite the opposite. If anyone was being rude towards the end, I'd say it was the 'impatient user who decided to call the developer a prick and then brush the plugin off'. Should sound familiar.

24. Offline

fatmarley

@DrBowerNur completely disagree with you!

further to that, this is not the place for your tirade.

25. Offline

DrBowe

Oh, completely eh?
    So you can stop life from getting in the way?
    Developers don't take large amounts of time out of their day to please people like you?
    He was being a prick despite the fact that you got angry at him without any reasonable explanation other than 'impatience'?

Uh huh, I hear ignorance is bliss.

26. Offline

ustatennis

Hello! I love the plugin. I re-downloaded it today but when i do /plugins, the plugin did not come up. btw cane u give me some help on setting it up again?

27. Does this have EpicBoss support and ability for group's or parties go in at the same time?

If not I think you should DEFINTELY add EpicBoss support so that way the bosses can be solely through Epic Boss and it will allow MMORPG servers to use your plugin.

If you don't have parties, you should consider adding a way for a group to go in at the same time as a team to fight off the bosses and to fight off the many mobs.

Also Portals would be best way of entering dungeons, that or right clicking a sign and using that to warp you in, but I think portals would be best.

Thanks for replying if you do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.