Rollback on Restart?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Red_Jay, Nov 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Red_Jay

My server recently had a map restart due to corrupted chunks (http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/server-crashing-chunk-error-please-help.190920/)
    Last Thursday and I believe the auto restarts I put in place every 3 hours may have caused it. So, I have avoided restarting my server at all for a whole week and just recently restarted it. When I did, different people experienced different degrees of roll back. Some experienced 3 minutes, other an hour. I have no clue why there are mini rollbacks when I restart my server. There are about 50/150 people online on average with about 100/150 on the weekends. Here's some info about my server:

AutoAnnouncer Global announcements every few minutes. Release
    boosCooldowns Shortcuts Release
    ClearLag Clear your lagg! Release
    ColouredMotd change the Motd with colours! Release
    CombatTagInstakill Release
    CustomServerMessages CustomServerMessages allow you to redefine the Standart Bukkit/M... Inactive
    Enjin Minecraft Plugin A plugin which allows the enjin servers to communicate with your... Release
    floAuction Auction plugin for economies. Release
    GAListener Execute Commands on Votifier Notfications Release
    HealthBar Release
    NoCheatPlus Detect and fight the exploitation of various flaws/bugs in Minec... Release
    NoCraft A plugin that block diamond armor creation Release
    ObsidianDestroyer Release
    PvPTimer Prevent new users from being PvPed to death at the start! Release
    SilkSpawners pick up and move monster spawners using silk touch Release
    Vault Vault is a Permissions & Economy API to allow plugins to more ea... Mature
    Votifier A plugin that gets notified when votes are made for the server o... Release

I am using Craftbukkit 1.6.4 on my 1.6.4 server.

Basically I just need to know why the map rollsback on a restart and how to prevent it. Thanks.

2. Offline

mydeblob

Are there any errors in the console?

3. Offline

drtshock

Yay for using one of my plugins :)
    Make sure that you are doing /save-all or set up auto saves before you restart.

4. Offline

p0wd3r

Agreed. The only time I've seen a data loss, or roll back, is when there were corrupted sectors on the drive. If you type "save-all" into the console, you should see a message that reads "Saved the world" or close to it. If you see anything else in addition to that, you may have bad sectors.

An easy way to check is to try the save-all function, if it gives you errors, stop your server and copy your server data to another folder/location (do NOT move, COPY, moving will only change the file pointer meta data, not the physical location!!) and run your server from the new folder. If the save-all function doesn't give you any crap, then you know there is something wrong with the drive. Run a "chkdsk /f /r" (windows) or "sudo /sbin/fsck -t" (Linux), if it is your system drive you will have to reboot to make either of those commands do what they're supposed to do.

A little downtime is better than weeks of frustration. :)

5. Offline

LHammonds

What p0wd3r said is good advice but I noticed in your other thread that you said you have moved the server to a different host and the problem persisted.

Has your server ever had a hard crash (either the Minecraft server or the physical box...such as a power outage)? That might have been an event that could have corrupted your world files. The only fix I know of for such an issue is MCEdit from what I have casually read on the net.

If it is not a corrupted world, it may just be the procedure you use to shutdown your server. I use a Linux server and utilize crontab to run scripts at various times throughout the day. When I issue a shutdown, I send the following commands to the server:

save-all
    stop

When I do an online backup using rsync, I issue the following commands to the server:

save-off
    save-all
    ** I do my rsync at this point **
    save-on

LHammonds

6. Offline

p0wd3r

7. Offline

drtshock

That would spam up the server a ton lol. You can hit the block with a bone to check its durability ;3

8. Offline

Red_Jay

drtshock Not if it only showed it to the people in maybe a 10 block radius around the explosion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.