Ridiculous Server Lag and How To Fix It

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Kevin Forte, Feb 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Kevin Forte

Alright:

I run a server from a very powerful computer on a very strong internet connection, but my server can still only handle 2 people smoothly; a third and the lag gets bad. Yet, I see people advertising servers with no lag that can handle up to 20 people simultaneously... what am I doing wrong? What can I change?

2. Offline

PatrickFreed

What are the PC specs?

3. Offline

Kevin Forte

4. Offline

PatrickFreed

Yeah, that's way better than my server comp.
    Try using an ethernet cable.
    Also, post your down/up speed.

5. Offline

mughi

your server, while not the massive beast you have advertised is more than sufficient for running a minecraft server.

which leaves: your configuration.. and your ISP
    considering you are posting the link to a site where you can buy a server that you would physically receive, you are likely hosting it out of your personal residence. That is your most likely bottleneck.

so.. more info on your isp.. Including upload/download speeds (as given by a test site, not the ISP's propaganda page), and your server config (os, start command)

6. Offline

Kevin Forte

[​IMG]

Theres your up and down speeds.
    How do I find the server config? (I'm on Windows 7 64-Bit)

7. Offline

mughi

you are running from a batch file.. what is in it?

8. Offline

Kevin Forte

I'm sorry for being such a noob at this, but how do I find this out, what does that mean, and what effect does that have?

9. Offline

Padeius Etoh

Are you playing on the same machine you are hosting the server on? If so there may be some resource issues between the server and the client.

10. Offline

Kevin Forte

Unfortunately yes, I am: No other choice /:

11. Offline

mughi

you double-click a file to start the server..
    right click the file, choose edit, paste the results

12. Offline

Kevin Forte

Oh right. Duh.

Code:
    @echo off
    "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -Xincgc -Xmx1024M -jar craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar
    pause

13. Offline

mughi

well. there's your problem..

try changing it to :
    "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -Xincgc -Xmx4G -jar craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar

if that gives you an error, you need 64 bit java..

14. Offline

Kevin Forte

Thanks a ton, I'll let you know how that goes.

15. Offline

Padeius Etoh

you are running the 32 bit version of java, the (x86) call in your path is calling the 32 bit version. If you have already downloaded the 64 bit java just remove the (x86) so it will call the 64 bit java.

16. Offline

mughi

you positive about that path? (i'm at home and don't feel like connecting to work to check).. I ask because the wiki for setting up windows says if 64 bit, use the x86 path.. that seems incorrect to me, and that is what you are saying, but i haven't actually verified it yet..

17. Offline

Kevin Forte

Alright, changed it up, tried to run the server, the cmd prompt opened for about a second and then closed itself. Went and downloaded 64-bit Java, same issue.

18. Offline

Padeius Etoh

Just going off the path for my win 7 machine, the x86 seems to be the 32 bit java, so anyway, back to the problem at hand.

"%ProgramFiles%\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -Xincgc -Xmx1G -jar craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar

try this command line and see what happens.

19. Offline

Kevin Forte

is that with or without the @echo off portion?

20. Offline

Padeius Etoh

with, just change the line to read like that, you can also change the -Xmx1G to 2G if you want.

21. Offline

mughi

he means replace the command i gave you with that.. you can keep it in your batch file
    increase the memory to 4G though
    --- merged: Feb 21, 2011 3:07 AM ---
    ninja'd

22. Offline

Padeius Etoh

also just for fun, open a command prompt and type in java -version and post the results
    --- merged: Feb 21, 2011 3:08 AM ---
    he does have 8g of ram so the only issue is how much the client is going to take.

23. Offline

mughi

by default, the client only uses 1.5 i think.. (of course, i have a 32 bit client.. so..)

24. Offline

Obsidian

Upload speed will severely limit how many users can connect to you. Unless you get more upstream bandwidth, don't expect more than a few users to be able to connect without lag.

25. Offline

Padeius Etoh

with the .86 he should be able to host at least 4 players with out too much lag, Right?

26. Offline

mughi

i have the same upload speed and regularly have 3 players on mine with no issues.. but i am always on the local side of the network, and i don't run a client on the server.

also, side note.. torrents will completely fsck your connection :)

27. Offline

Padeius Etoh

I don't know what the .exe limit is but my 64 bit client will go to between 720 and 850k at any given time.

28. Offline

Kevin Forte

Any way to get a more upstream bandwidth? (I'm new at this)
    --- merged: Feb 21, 2011 3:28 AM ---
    Code:
    C:\Users\Kevin>java -version
    java version "1.6.0_24"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_24-b07)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 19.1-b02, mixed mode, sharing)

29. Offline

Padeius Etoh

Ok, so this gets a bit complicated, in order for the 64 bit java to be first in the path, it has to be installed second, but in order for 32 bit programs to run java you still have to have it installed. Firefox will not work with 64 bit java as an example. So what i did was uninstalled both of them then installed the 32 bit version, then using the 64 bit internet explorer installed the 64 bit version. By doing this you get the 64 bit in the path ahead of the 32 bit. I hope this makes some sense. once you get this done both the client and the server will typically call the 64 bit version of java.
    --- merged: Feb 21, 2011 3:40 AM ---
    The up stream is regulated by the isp so u would have to upgrade your roadrunner to a 2 or 5 megabit upload speed. You prolly have the 1 megabit upload road runner.

30. Offline

Kevin Forte

So... Uninstall Java completely, install 32-bit Java, then install 64-bit Java?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.