[REQ]Force texture packets

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by TheMap, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Offline

TheMap

It would be great if someone could make a module that forces default texture pack and allows use of a list of approved packs. That way people don't run around using invisible blocks finding all the good resources at the start of a server.

2. I'm no expert, but I think that would require client side verification. It might be more plausable to make a mod where admins can check people to see who's using what texture pack. Like: /texcheck DownwardlyMobile
    It may be just as unlikely without modifying the client.

3. Offline

TheMap

Hmm maybe. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to allow someone to enter similar to whitelist. The server does a check of specific texture packs and if none are present the client is denied.

4. Offline

RustyDagger

Im sure this would have to be done by notch or his team at the very least implimented by them.

i know dinnerbone has been passing bits and peices to jeb If dinnerbone was to code it or some 1 around here and try and pass it to them maybe just maybe they would accept it with a few changes.

you got to think its no good limiting the texture packs by name cause you can quite easyly rename it to some thing that is allowed. and still use it so you would then have to do checks to make sure the clients copy of the texture pack matches the servers. and flat out deny every thing else. meaning most users wont be able to use their favorite /custom texture packs with out first having it added to the server Aka Sucky...

I hope this Points out some of the flaws in your idea and explains why it would suck for the user in the long run.

5. Offline

TheMap

Users being able to use a favorite texture pack would be simple. They get in the server on the white list, setup as a player or w/e and can request that there texture pack is added to the "allow" list. I have seen it happen way too many times in survival where the server is very fresh and 1 guy seems to end up with diamond within 20 minutes. Its a shame that people want to ruin the experience by using camo packs.