Solved Remove from StringList in config

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by Roborack17, Sep 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Roborack17

Hey! Today, I was working on a plugin which saves strings to a stringlist in a config. BUT, after I save them, I want to somehow delete them but I don't know how. So, I don't want to clear stringlist, just remove a string line from a stringlist :D Hope you understand and reply soon ;)

2. @Roborack17
    Get the string list from config, remove the entry, and save it to config again.

3. Offline

Roborack17

Do you have any example for it? I actually want to remove string line by command like /remove 1 and it'll remove the first string I guess, so is it possible?

4. @Roborack17
    Indeed, all you need to do is get the list from config like usual and save it to a variable. Then just use the "remove()" method, and then save the variable back to config.

5. Offline

Roborack17

@AlvinB
    Well, how do save it to a variable? That's the problem I guess :)

6. Offline

Zombie_Striker

7. Offline

Roborack17

I didn't find there what I was looking for. I looked to get the string line by typing the number of it and to remove it. Do you know to do that?

8. @Roborack17
    I think it's time for some Java tutorials. Knowing what a variable is is an essential part of programming.

9. Offline

Roborack17

I know what variable is, but I don't know how to turn string list to a varible :)

10. @Roborack17
    Well, if you know how to get the list from config and know what a variable is, then you should be able to pull it off.

11. Offline

Roborack17

But how do I get a string line?

12. Offline

Zombie_Striker

@Roborack17
    To add onto what @AlvinB said, a variable is an object that can be referenced. To load a string out of a config, create a String variable and set it equal to the string from the config. If you don't know how to get an object from a config, please review the link.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  13. Offline

Roborack17

I do know how do get a string from a config, but not how to get a string from a string list. I think you didn't understand me very well

14. @Roborack17
    Code:java
    1. getConfig().getStringList("path")
    ?

15. Offline

Roborack17

@AlvinB
    Ok, I'm going to explain you a little bit more :)

So, my string list in a config is like this:

StringList:
    - String 1
    - String 2
    - String 3

And I want to delete a string 2 by typing command like /string remove 2, but the String 2 is configurable and its content isn't always the same. There is command /string add string, and it adds the string to the string list. Hope you get it.

Finally :D Thanks, I'll try it now

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2018
  16. Offline

Zombie_Striker

Do you mean List#get(index) and List#remove(index)?

[edit] Yes, you are looking for this. Load the list, remove the object at that index (using List#remove(index). In your example, remove the object at index 1), and reset the list in the config.

17. Offline

Roborack17

Thanks man! It worked :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.