Application RemoteToolkit - Restarts + crash detection + auto saves + remote console!

Discussion in 'Bukkit Tools' started by drdanick, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

drdanick

Minecraft RemoteToolkit
    -Less downtime, more fun for your players, more power to you!

Are you a Minecraft server administrator? Do you value up-time and stability? Do you fancy the ability to remotely control your server, both in-game and out of game, in a myriad of useful ways from a plethora of different devices?
    If you answered yes to any of the above, then the Minecraft RemoteToolkit is for you!

What the Minecraft RemoteToolkit Plugin and Wrapper do for you:
    • Provides almost perfect server uptime with no need for action from an owner/administrator!
    • Have your server save and restart at any time period with configurable restart warnings!
    • The Toolkit guarantees a restart within the set restart period, even if your server crashes, becomes unresponsive, or encounters a "SEVERE" exception!
    • Remotely control every function of the Toolkit, even from your smart phone!
    • Full remote console access via telnet with support for multiple terminal types!
    • Telnet daemon conforms to current Telnet related RFCs!
    • Customizable alert messages!
    • Fully extendable though 3rd party modules!
    • Full feature set works with most craftbukkit builds!
    • Most features work with any Minecraft server variation, even vanilla!
    • Telnet can be disabled!
    For server administrators
    Download - Release 10, Alpha 15.3 [CB 1.7.2-R0.2] (wget friendly)
    Instructions & Documentation

For developers
    UDP API REV 8 | Documentation
    Module API | Coming soon!

For everyone
    Official IRC channel
    #remotetoolkit @ irc.esper.net

"Help! I've downloaded it, but I do not know how to get it working!"
    Stop! Before you give up or ask for help, make sure you have read the step-by-step installation instructions on the wiki page. If you are still having problems, please do not be hesitant to post a request for help on this thread or in the IRC channel - no matter how simple your problem seems.

Todo

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Any donation would be very much appreciated. I'm but a poor University student, and I sacrifice quite a lot of unpaid time to keep the Toolkit updates and support flowing.

Thank you to the following who have chosen to support the Toolkit through a donation:
    Deren909, marshall007, Vittek, clanslots, meee, KyneSilverhide, szoller, hungoverfurball, Lama_0, Viet, acc1dent, joby890, Liger_XT5

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  2. Offline

rmb938

Randomly getting "Can't keep up messages" Then they suddenly go away when​
    Code:
     Socket exception: java.net.SocketException: Socket closed
    Starting UDP listen server on port 25561

appears in the console.

3. Offline

flozza83

Hi
    My server get Read timed out error, and rtoolkit dont detect it to restart. Can you change that please ?

4. Offline

rmb938

Can you make it so you can turn UPD off as well? I would just like to use it as a restarting wrapper.

5. Offline

KrazyBonez

I had the same issue with it not restarting :(

6. Offline

drdanick

It looks like you're having more of an issue with RAM from that information? How are you starting the toolkit? If you are using the included .bat, did you modify it at all?
    I need to see two more things:
    -The amount of ram being used by the two Java processes (take a screenshot of them straight from task manager)
    -The body of wrapper.properties.

That is likely to be a coincidence. The UDP server is not connected to the minecraft server process in any way, and the actual refresh, which prints that exception, takes <5ms to complete. Leading up to that, the UDP server does not generate any excessive CPU usage. The periodic refreshing is only there to solve the problem where in rare cases, the UDP server would become responsive after approximately a day.
    I've already mentioned before why I am reluctant to add the option to disable the UDP server:
    http://forums.bukkit.org/goto/post?id=364729#post-364729

A great majority of users are likely to have it disabled, and seeing how central the remote APIs are going to be to release 11, especially with external plugins, it would just end up generating excessive support woes for developers wishing to utalize the API. Though, I do recognize that It is important for some users to have the API disabled. I will be working towards some compromize in the next release that will allow it to both be disabled, and avoid any confusion with users still wishing to use plugins that ualize the API.

@flozza83 @KrazyBonez I plan on implementing an algorithm to detect that pattern in the console in the next release.

7. Why do i get this:
    [​IMG]

I have this at my Run.bat
    Code:
    @ECHO OFF
    SET BINDIR=%~dp0
    CD /D "%BINDIR%"
    "%ProgramFiles%\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -Xms4096M -Xmx4096M -jar craftbukkit.jar nogui java
    pause
    and this at my toolkit.bat
    Code:
    @echo off
    java -Xmx30M -Xms30M -XX:MaxPermSize=40M -jar Minecraft_RKit.jar semirotta:********

and my wrapper.properties
    Code:
    #Minecraft Remote Toolkit Properties File
    #Mon Jun 06 16:57:44 EEST 2011
    forced-restart-delay=3m
    maximum-heap-size=4096M
    toolkit-autoshutdown-alerts=10m,5m,1m,30s,15s,10s,5s
    restart-on-severe-exception=false
    server-saveall-period=0
    extra-runtime-arguments=-Djline.terminal\=jline.UnsupportedTerminal
    force-save-on-restart=true
    server-heartbeat-threshold=1m
    server-restart-alerts=10m,5m,1m,30s,15s,10s,5s
    minecraft-server-jar=craftbukkit.jar
    initial-heap-size=4096M
    overridden-process-arguments=
    failed-heartbeat-restart-count=5
    severe-exception-detection-level=1
    server-arguments=nogui
    toolkit-autoshutdown-delay=0
    server-restart-delay=30m
    import-properties=false

so what causes this? :O
    EDIT:
    it wont start server unless i have 1024M in wrapper.properties , run.bat etc. :D
    i got 6GB RAM so why cannot i use 4096M ?

8. Offline

e_zach

are you running anything else on the box? my current machine which i run test servers on has 8GB, but as i have a billion things running, i can only alloc about a gig of memory. on the actual server (Linux) i have no issues alloc'n
    6gb to the JavaVM
    as it's a dedicated box

9. well i have steam,msn,skype,league of legends,firewall of course, antivir program,hamachi. also minecraft if i play it
    does they take THAT much memory? :E

im running windows 7 home premium 64-bit
    intel core i3 3,1Ghz
    6144MB RAM

10. Offline

e_zach

most likely, look in your task manager to see how much memory is being used. the system it'self takes about a gig away. and if your running the MC client, expect another gig gone. also is it a 64bit version of java? if it's 32bit, your stuck at around the 3gb mark.

11. [​IMG]

these?
    i wonder why it reads *32 there coz i do have 64-bit windows..

12. Offline

ghost0001

ok, i love this wrapper but i have one issues. Recently with an update to 1.6 i have been getting out of memory errors. my maximum heap size is 1.5G I run a small server so this shouldn't be a problem, it wasn't for 1.5. Anyway, I wanted to know if this plugin will restart when it senses a [sever] error like this? Thank you for help.

edit:
    NM, seems it did restart the server, took 30 minutes for a server restart to happen after multiple [sever] errors. is there a way to make it quicker? or respond to a "out-of-memory" error?

13. Offline

e_zach

the process is 32 bit, you need to install the 64bit version of java for it to run in 64 bit mode.
    he's working on implementing the wrapper to detect OOM errors, not sure where he's at with them though.

drdanick likes this.
  14. im stupid, how do i do this? how iget 64 bit java?
    i just go to control panel , and there that remove thing and remove java completely?
    then install the new java ?

15. Offline

e_zach

yes, remove it from programs and features and grab the win 7 x64 version here: http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
    you may need to re-install the 32 bit version though. as you may run into issues if your browser is 32bit so you may need to install both. (not quite sure how you specify x64 java from command line unless you change the environment path vars)

drdanick likes this.
  16. i did this, its still not possible and when i go Control alt delete -> i see the list and it reads *32 after most of the stuff there...
    how the fuck?
    i still can see my java to be 64 bit but sstill it uses 32 bit? :D wtf cant explain -.- damn my english skills

17. Offline

drdanick

Delete everything to do with java, oracle and sun microsystems, then install only the 64 bit version of java, not 32 bit. If that doesn't work, you will need to change your environment variables to point to the 64 bit installation, rather than the 32 bit installation. Due to these issues, I will definitely be making an update over the next few days that allows you to set the path to the runtime used when launching the server from the toolkit.

18. Offline

e_zach

awsome :) now my test server can have over 3gb assigned to it (because i can :p)

19. Offline

ghost0001

thanks for the reply, this out of memory has me at wits end...

20. Offline

drdanick

I'll try to get the update to detect those errors in before I start working on release 11. I'm trying not to mess with the release 10 codebase much more, it's getting difficult to maintain in its current state.

21. Offline

DragonSupremacy

I'm having an issue with this plugin. I installed it fine, added a user, but I "closed" the window with the wrapper (without stopping server or anything). Now when I try to re-open it, it claims there's still a server running, when there's not.

Also, it keeps spamming the console log.

Over the course of a little over 2 minutes, I got a whopping 32k instances of

"2011-06-24 19:57:24 [INFO] Unknown console command. Type "help" for help."

Edit: using build 928
    Edit 2: looks like the java process didn't kill itself properly, I killed that and it allowed me to perform file modifications to any of the RTK files

22. Offline

VeryInsane

So, tell me the catch to this.. I don't feel like reading through 34 pages.

Does it take up alot of memory? Does it contribute to lag? Is it working flawless atm? Any big bugs?

23. Offline

ghost0001

Got a new question. I am trying to make my server restart at certain times. I followed your directions in your Wiki but it didnt restart and it re-wrote my config as follows:

#Minecraft Remote Toolkit Properties File
    #Fri Jun 24 23:43:46 CDT 2011
    forced-restart-delay=5m
    maximum-heap-size=2048M
    toolkit-autoshutdown-alerts=10m,5m,1m
    restart-on-severe-exception=false
    server-saveall-period=0 <------I had times her as well, does this not support times?
    extra-runtime-arguments=-Djline.terminal\=jline.UnsupportedTerminal
    force-save-on-restart=true
    server-heartbeat-threshold=1m
    server-restart-alerts=10m,5m,1m
    minecraft-server-jar=craftbukkit.jar
    initial-heap-size=1024M
    overridden-process-arguments=
    failed-heartbeat-restart-count=5
    severe-exception-detection-level=1
    server-arguments=nogui
    toolkit-autoshutdown-delay=0
    server-restart-delay=00\:00,06\:00,12\:00,18\:00 <----Right here is my issue with restart
    import-properties=false

Your Wiki says:
    server-restart-delay - The period at which to restart the server. It is in the format #h #m #s, where h = hours, m = minutes and s = seconds. For example, if you would want it to restart ever 3 hours and 30 minutes, you would set it as server-restart-delay=3h 30m (notice that #s has been omitted. You can omit sections that you do not use). Alternatively, a sequence of absolute times for restarts can be set. This is done by setting the property to a comma separated list of 24hr times in the format HH:MM. For example, setting it to 09:30,15:30,00:00 would have it restart at 9:30am, 3:30pm and 12:30am.

That is how i set it exactly and after a run turns into the above with the "\". Also, is it possible for the saveall period to use the same time format?

24. Offline

Kane

so can this catch everything? Even time out error people are getting?

25. Offline

e_zach

atm it doesn't catch the OutOfMemory exception yet, he's working on it.

takes up very little memory (i have the wrapper's max mem set to 100mb which is probably overkill) only major issue is if the wrapper isn't shutdown correctly the java process may not be killed and hangs around (as the wrapper launches Bukkit as a sub process.) depending on how it's set up (extra flags) is how laggy the server can get. have it multi-threaded now, as it by default only uses one core.

26. Offline

Kane

Thanks for the info. Yeah the only crashes I seam to always experience is that or other bugs that only half crash it.

27. Offline

e_zach

the good thing is that you can restart it manually remotely (through game or remote tool) which is nice. and also the timed restarts are nice (i restart the server every morning at 4AM and havn't had an OOM exception in ages.)

28. Offline

Kane

The timed restart sounds like a good idea. What is the remote resets like? Is it a phone app or a html page or how does that work.

29. Offline

e_zach

you can use a phone app(check the wiki, it should be in there), and the download should come with a remote app which you can launch and connect to the server and send commands. (the jar in the 'UDP client' folder.) also you can reset ingame using /restartsrv NAME:pASSWORD
    EDIT: should all be in the wiki, check it out :)

30. Offline

efstajas

That is actually pretty awesome. I really like the server- restarts from in game. :D

31. Offline

drdanick

@e_zach Thank you for answering some of the questions hanging around here, I appreciate it.

Do you have the plugin component in the plugins directory of your server? Those may be failed heartbeat requests.

I'll run a test server with those configuration options and i'll see if there are any issues. Have you tried using the console command .restarttime to check that there are scheduled restarts at expected times?

The \: does not make a difference, those are added by the Java Properties API. I will work on having both time formats supported for every scheduled function in release 11.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.