Application RemoteToolkit - Restarts + crash detection + auto saves + remote console!

Discussion in 'Bukkit Tools' started by drdanick, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

drdanick

Minecraft RemoteToolkit
    -Less downtime, more fun for your players, more power to you!

Are you a Minecraft server administrator? Do you value up-time and stability? Do you fancy the ability to remotely control your server, both in-game and out of game, in a myriad of useful ways from a plethora of different devices?
    If you answered yes to any of the above, then the Minecraft RemoteToolkit is for you!

What the Minecraft RemoteToolkit Plugin and Wrapper do for you:
    • Provides almost perfect server uptime with no need for action from an owner/administrator!
    • Have your server save and restart at any time period with configurable restart warnings!
    • The Toolkit guarantees a restart within the set restart period, even if your server crashes, becomes unresponsive, or encounters a "SEVERE" exception!
    • Remotely control every function of the Toolkit, even from your smart phone!
    • Full remote console access via telnet with support for multiple terminal types!
    • Telnet daemon conforms to current Telnet related RFCs!
    • Customizable alert messages!
    • Fully extendable though 3rd party modules!
    • Full feature set works with most craftbukkit builds!
    • Most features work with any Minecraft server variation, even vanilla!
    • Telnet can be disabled!
    For server administrators
    Download - Release 10, Alpha 15.3 [CB 1.7.2-R0.2] (wget friendly)
    Instructions & Documentation

For developers
    UDP API REV 8 | Documentation
    Module API | Coming soon!

For everyone
    Official IRC channel
    #remotetoolkit @ irc.esper.net

"Help! I've downloaded it, but I do not know how to get it working!"
    Stop! Before you give up or ask for help, make sure you have read the step-by-step installation instructions on the wiki page. If you are still having problems, please do not be hesitant to post a request for help on this thread or in the IRC channel - no matter how simple your problem seems.

Todo

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Any donation would be very much appreciated. I'm but a poor University student, and I sacrifice quite a lot of unpaid time to keep the Toolkit updates and support flowing.

Thank you to the following who have chosen to support the Toolkit through a donation:
    Deren909, marshall007, Vittek, clanslots, meee, KyneSilverhide, szoller, hungoverfurball, Lama_0, Viet, acc1dent, joby890, Liger_XT5

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  2. Offline

woodzy

I HAVE AN IDEA!!! maby this will work every lets say 30 min have it tye in the consol something like a letter as in a 'b' or something and have it detect the error that u get when a command typed in consol is not known, and if that error message is not seen in a 30sec time fram (or user defined), have it AUTO-RESTART.. if u could make that work i think u will have the most perfict ant-crash plugin ever!
    all of my crashes and lock-ups have made it so what ever i type in consol not do anything. it should work what do you think?

3. Offline

drdanick

Good idea, but then there is the issue of console spam. Perhaps If I send a heartbeat command to the plugin via the console, and have it silently respond to the wrapper when it is recieved. That could work, i'll look into it.

4. Offline

sharkale

i found an intereset thing, in XP when stop starting, the server create an "server.log.lck" in the craftbukkit.jar directory. if i press enter before it created crash the server. if i press enter after "server.log.lck" the server works.

just to help with info [​IMG]

in windows 2k8 server work fine?

5. Offline

drdanick

It should work fine with Windows server 2008.
    I am still trying to figure out why I can't wrap anything around Bukkit in XP. Even with everything stripped out it refuses to work.
    Interestingly, if you remove the jline property key in wrapper.properties it will start correctly, although the console input is then broken.

I'm getting the feeling that jline has something to do with this...
    Nice as it is, it does not play well with wrappers. Even when seemingly disabled.

6. Offline

WraithTGuardian

I feel so nooby when i say that I don´t have enough skills to install this... I guess I messed up on one of the steps....But now i do only have one question (atleast yet) Shall I extract the ZIP or just copy the toolkit folder?

7. Offline

drdanick

You'll want to open the .zip and copy everything in the 'bin' folder to your server's binary folder. That is, the folder with craftbukkit.jar in it.

8. Offline

WraithTGuardian

Ok

I get
    Code:
    Unable to acces jarfile
    Restarting.....
    EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2016
  9. Offline

drdanick

Is craftbukkit.jar in the same folder as Minecraft_RKit.jar? Also, make sure your craftbukkit jar file is named exactly "craftbukkit.jar".

10. Offline

WraithTGuardian

Ok

Well my craftbukkit isn´t named like that. Doesn´t it help if I change name in the wrapper properties?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

11. Offline

Nolam

after adding pause:

Code:
    'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or bath file.
    Press any key to continue . . .
    I made no other modification to the file other than the "user:pass" field.

This is the contents of my .bat file that CAME with the plugin

Code:
    @echo off
    java -Xmx30M -Xms30M -XX:MaxPermSize=40M -jar Minecraft_RKit.jar ****:****

pause

12. Offline

SgtSpike

Myself and another member admin the server. After using telnet, at some point, the console starts spamming this message after every console printout (i.e., chat, login/out, etc).
    Code:
    Telnet shell IO exception: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer: socket write error

Any idea what might be causing this, and how to prevent it?

13. Offline

dwi

Hello, is there any way, how to specify java binary?

I tried
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    alias java=/path/to/my/bin/java
    # this is ok, correct binary
    java -version

# this is also ok, RTookit is ran by my binary
    screen -A -m -d -S Minecraft java -Xmx30M ...etc...
    But craftbukkit.jar is started from rtoolkit with plain "java -Xms4096M -Xmx4096M -Djline.terminal=..." command, which I can't change to something else.

Can you please help me with that, or add java-binary option to wrapper.properties ?

Thanks.

14. Offline

drdanick

You can do that too, yes.

Something is wrong with your java installation, so you're going to have to specify the absolute path to java.exe (c:\progra~1\...bin\java.exe. It's exact location will vary depending on your version of java)

Does it happen when you log out and back in?
    I am aware of this issue and will get it sorted soon. Note that most, if not all of these exceptions are completely harmless.

Set overridden-process-arguments to the exact command (including java binary location) that you would use to launch the server if you were not using the wrapper. i.e /path/to/my/bin/java -Xms4096M -Xmx4096M -Djline.terminal=...

dwi likes this.
  15. Offline

Ultra695

I am using windows vista (idk if it's any sort of special version). The .help command is how I found .stopwrapper, I don't belive i've tried any of the other ones, and am unable to try for a while.

By the way your plugin IS awesome, but have you considered just using the normal console so all the things like say <message> and op <player> would be useable from the console? (If they are, sorry for being stupid, I just guessed they weren't)

16. Offline

Olaf

I'd like to copy the world/player files somewhere (USB HDD or something to have a backup just in case. I realise now this might coincide/conflict with the backup part of the plugin you're working on) and I'd like to move the server log file into a archive folder on a daily basis. The server would then create a new log on start, this would keep the log easier to read for me.

17. Offline

drampelt

18. Offline

drdanick

Hm, sounds like the wrapper isn't piping commands through to the server console. That would explain why .stopwrapper is not working. Make sure you are using the newest version of the wrapper (V10 a8.5)

I'll be adding the ability to launch an external script very soon, perhaps in the form of a toolkit module, just to give developers another example to work with.

It's planned, but quite complicated. I hope to have it work with any modded or vanilla server.

19. Offline

SgtSpike

Honestly, I'm not sure. I assume after log out, but it's the other admin who uses telnet. I use a direct interface to the console via VNC. At some point, during or after the other admin is finished with telnet, the errors begin. I have never been online watching the console when the errors started, only hopped on to find them continuing, hence my inability to identify exactly when it happens. I will certainly report back if I gather any further information on the problem.

Glad to hear you are working on it!

20. Offline

Ultra695

I downloaded latest version and it still doesn't work.

EDIT: I see at the top that it needs cb 531, I can't go higher than 522 because of some of my other plugins, could you give a link to a less-recent download?

21. Offline

drdanick

That's the last build I tested the plugin with, the plugin works fine with the last 100~ builds, and the wrapper works with every build. Can you post the body of wrapper.properties?

22. Offline

WraithTGuardian

It would be good if someone made a video tutorial for this cause I really can´t get this working

23. Offline

Ultra695

Code:
    #Minecraft Remote Toolkit Properties File
    #Wed Feb 23 17:20:24 PST 2011
    minecraft-server-jar=craftbukkit.jar
    severe-exception-detection-level=2
    server-saveall-period=15m 1s
    maximum-heap-size=1024M
    import-properties=false
    server-restart-delay=30m
    restart-on-severe-exception=false
    server-arguments=nogui
    overridden-process-arguments=
    server-restart-alerts=1m,30s,10s
    forced-restart-delay=5m
    initial-heap-size=1024M
    extra-runtime-arguments=

24. Offline

drdanick

Replace
    Code:
    extra-runtime-arguments=

with

Code:
    extra-runtime-arguments=-Djline.terminal\=jline.UnsupportedTerminal

What step are you stuck on?

25. Offline

Ultra695

Now I am getting two errors

- java.io.IOEXCEPTION: Not in GZIP format

and

- java.lang.nullpointerexception

All the commands work now though.

26. Offline

GameFAQsRolo

I just tried running 8.25 on my test server and it won't load.
    Win7 x64
    CB #556

Code:
    Minecraft Remote Toolkit V1.0_b18_25 ALPHA
    Initializing...
    Loading toolkit properties...Done.
    Loading toolkit modules...Done.
    Wrapper is running on: Windows 7 6.1 amd64
    Starting wrapper...
    Starting UDP listen server on port 25611
    19:25:12 [INFO] Starting minecraft server version Beta 1.3
    java.lang.NullPointerException
            at com.drdanick.McRKit.Wrapper$3.run(Wrapper.java:299)
    >
    I tested 8.24 and it has the same problem. Using 8.23 it works fine.

Code:
    #Minecraft Remote Toolkit Properties File
    #Thu Mar 17 19:25:11 PDT 2011
    minecraft-server-jar=craftbukkit.jar
    severe-exception-detection-level=1
    server-saveall-period=4h 30m
    maximum-heap-size=1024M
    import-properties=false
    server-restart-delay=6h
    restart-on-severe-exception=false
    server-arguments=nogui
    overridden-process-arguments=
    server-restart-alerts=10m,5m,2m,1m
    forced-restart-delay=5m
    initial-heap-size=1024M
    extra-runtime-arguments=-Djline.terminal\=jline.UnsupportedTerminal,-server,-XX\:+UseConcMarkSweepGC,-XX\:+UseParNewGC,-XX\:+CMSIncrementalPacing,-XX\:ParallelGCThreads\=2,-XX\:+AggressiveOpts

27. Offline

drdanick

My wrapper doesn't load any gzipped files. Sounds like a problem with another plugin.
    Can I see the stack traces?

Odd, i'll look into it.

28. Offline

NordicBlue

Would be nice if you would make a feature which can copy the server.log with a timestamp to a seperate directory.
    So you get nice small logs, instead of 1 big file of 70 megs.

29. Offline

drdanick

I'm working in things like that. That's actually something quite suited as a module. I really need to get the documentation up so people can write them.

30. Offline

Ultra695

I found the problem, doing my regular cartographs, I saw that my map has gotten severly bugged.

Thanks for responding though.

31. Offline

Nolam

Could I request the ability (if possible) to be able to create a custom message when holding the server while players try to connect? Like instead of

"Failed to connect to Server

Java.lang.NullPointerException"

be able to customize it to say something like "Server is down for maintanence"? Is this possible?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.