Solved "Read Timed Out" Own Server

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by SnowGears, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

SnowGears

So I am not new to hosting a home server at all. I know how to do it, I know how to port forward, change settings, install plugins, the whole thing. So everything was working fine until I decided to do a clean intall of Vista ( was previously running Vista before I wiped everything) but I backed up my server on a flash drive before as to not lose anything. The install went fine and the computer works great!

Except now I get kicked from the server 30 seconds after joining and a message says:
    "Internal Exception : java.net.SocketTimeoutException : Read Timed Out"

This ONLY HAPPENS TO ME. The server is running on the vista and I am trying to connect to it on my wireless macbook on the same network. I have been doing it like this for months with no problems but now it times me out.

Everyone else on other networks can join the server fine with no lag or anything.

I can connect to the server fine but after I join I almost immediately time out ( within 1 minute ).

I can join other servers just fine with no lag or anything also...

So whats up with this? Why is it just starting now? I have had this setup for months with no issues and now I get timed out of my own server literally every time I try to play. Please offer me any advice on what to do. I'll even pay someone 5 bucks who can help me fix this problem otherwise my hosting days are over. PLEASE RESPOND WITH ANY ADVICE. Thank you so much.

TO WATCH THE VIDEO OF HOW I TIME OUT WATCH THIS VIDEO.

Also sometimes, the screen gets stuck on "downloading terrain" and then after a while it will say
    "connection lost : timed out"

EDIT: I also discovered I can run a server from my laptop from the same port that the desktop server is running on. It normally would say "ERROR: COULD NOT BIND TO PORT, IS THERE ANOTHER SERVER RUNNING ON THAT PORT" but now it does nothing so this makes me think something is wrong with the internal network connection. But I'm not sure.
    EDIT: This person seemed to have the same problem I did but nobody answered him.
    http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1035370-dedicated-server-everyone-else-can-connect-but-me/

EDIT: Turns out I just needed to update the drivers on the server computer. Thanks again for all the help guys!

bump

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2016
  2. Offline

caucow

When this happens it is usually a connection or client/server response problem.
    "Read Timed Out" means that the client/server could not read data from the other and after a certain amount of time, stopped trying and returned an error.
    The game has an internal timer that (when not communicating with the server correctly) begins to count to 30 seconds. If, after that half minute, there is still no response, it gives the error you have. The Nodus grief client i use (why grief? building is so much funner) makes this timer visible on the HUD so i know exactly when there is lag on the server. Will test in a moment.

3. Offline

SnowGears

How did it work? And any suggestions on how I could fix this?

4. Offline

caucow

Edit: Went on your server for about 5 - 10 minutes and there wasn't any lag at all. My lag-timer never appeared. Commands and chat responded instantly. Actions and interactions did not have a delayOne cause might be you playing on your server from the same computer that you host it from. That together can use a lot of cpu+ram. Network usage may also be an issue. If the network has more users than it can handle it can delay connections.

5. Offline

SnowGears

anyone else have any ideas? I'm stumped

6. Offline

caucow

Sorry, but idk what could be going wrong with the server. It couldn't be a cpu, ram, or network overload. Whenever you disconnected and reconnected, I never experienced anything. If it was any of the above three reasons, or just general lag, my lag timer would have started up from 0 but it never once appeared in the hour or so i was on the server, yet you kept having issues. In any of those 4 cases there would be a delayed response from the server/client but it was a perfectly good connection the whole time.

BTW get a chat anti-spam plugin. the lag some users could create with chat spam is very bad. Even if only your friends play on it, they may get unhappy about something one day and... Well its just a good idea.

10 or so minutes of me playing on your server, NO PROBLEMS! You come on, get error and d/c, I get..... nothing... :(
    Edit: Video available now.
    Show Spoiler

7. Offline

SnowGears

Thanks for at least trying. My hosting days might be over if I can't figure this out. Im just pissed because everything was working fine for months and then I do a clean install of Vista and this starts....

bump

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

8. Offline

AtlasServer

In the server.properties try turning online mode to false.

9. Offline

SnowGears

It is already. Nothing changed.... And it's every wireless computer on my network that times out. Like my other laptop on the same network times out as well but again, people trying to get on from anywhere else it works flawlessly. And it didn't used to do this.

10. Offline

AtlasServer

Then turn online mode to true. Also what are you typing in for the ip address when you try to connect? Is it the one everyone else uses?

11. Offline

SnowGears

I usually use the one everyone else uses to connect and that worked fine but now it doesn't. I have also tried connecting with my local internet ip (192.168.*.*) and the same thing happens. I log in and get kicked within 30 seconds and timed out

I will honestly pay like 10 bucks to whoever can solve this because I honestly have tried everything I can think of.

This person sounds like they had the same problem I have http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/606524-minecraft/62554098 and they said they fixed it by doing this. "When I forwarded the Port on my router (D-Link) it gave me a box to put the IP Address in, but all you have to do is select the device (PC, Laptop or whatever else you have) & press a button, it then inputs the correct IP Address. That was the IP I used to connect, & It worked." No idea what that means. Maybe they meant they used the 192.168.*.* address but that didnt work for me

So can anyone give me any tips? I've tried putting in the local network ip. (192.168.*.*). Connected but still timed out within a minute. Then I tried (192.168.*.*:25565). Same thing. And still the ip everyone else uses works for them but when I try it, I time out within a minute like the others...

12. Offline

AtlasServer

It sounds like it's an issue with the portforwarding. I had this problem a while ago and I don't remember exactly how to fix it but if I were you I would mess around with the portforwarding a little more.

13. Offline

Jade

Tooner101 Try connecting to your own server with 127.0.0.1

14. Offline

SnowGears

The server is on the same network. I am not actually on the same computer the server is on

Okay. Not sure what else I can really do as I have already forwarded the correct port but i will look again. Can you remember anything about what you did to solve it?

15. Offline

Jade

Ahhh, alright. I'm going to assume it's a spare computer then, right?

Run it on Linuxxxxxxxxxx XD

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2020
  16. Offline

TnT

Did you change the amount of RAM you allocated your server? Did you use anything like MC Patcher to change your client in any way?

Your hosting days are fine. Your ability to play on the same system you host from is not.

17. Offline

SnowGears

TnT
    I changed the amount of ram but then i changed it back after. I am not playing on the same system. I am playing on a different system than the server but on the same network

I was actually thinking about doing that but ive never used linux before. Would that even help my problem though?

18. Offline

Jade

No. But it would get you better performance.

19. Offline

TnT

Have you tried not connecting from a wireless connection in your LAN, but a wired one instead?

Is your wireless access point also your router?

20. Offline

SnowGears

I have not tried a wired connection but even if it worked it would be super inconvinient to use regularly. And yes it is

What version of linux would you recommend?

21. Offline

TnT

I didn't say you had to stick with wired if it were to work. It sounds like your router is having issues with the network traffic, so I suggested wired to eliminate one aspect of that situation.

You may want to look into updating your wireless drivers on your server (assuming your server is also on a wireless connection).

22. Offline

Jade

CentOS (I've used 5.6 and 5.8) (It's rather large)
    Or Ubuntu, TnT can tell you proper versions of Ubuntu to use.

23. Offline

SnowGears

My server is on a wired connection. But things worked fine until I did a clean install of windows so im not sure what could have changed there to make it so i couldnt play on the same network anymore...

24. Offline

TnT

Try updating your wired nic drivers?

What IP are you connecting to? Internal or external?

25. Offline

SnowGears

How do I update wired drivers on vista? And I tried connecting to both. They both let me connect but time me out within 30 seconds

TnT
    What could cause my network to time me out of my own connection but others it lets play? Is there some sort of internet setting I could try playing with to see? If not I can try updating the drivers

26. Offline

rossfudgew

Ello Chap! (I'm not brittish but its fun to pretend)

I need you to give me your router information, and I will be able to help you

I'm going to make you DMZ your computer's ip from your networks firewall
    (Hope your regular firewall is decent)
    These things tend to act as blockers to inter network connecting

Also I need you to set your firewall to allow private connection on the port you are using for minecraft

Looking forward to a reply

27. Offline

Toxic__Waste

original op quote
    This ONLY HAPPENS TO ME. The server is running on the vista and I am trying to connect to it on my wireless macbook. I have been doing it like this for months with no problems but now it times me out.

Everyone else on other networks can join the server fine with no lag or anything.

lool call your isp they might have you on a limited bandwidth running a server and playing on the same server through the same network can eat alot of bandwidth and some asses of companies will limit your bandwidth.. really sounds to me like internet overload 2 reasons others can sign in and you cant from the same network = has to be the network try signing in on a different network like a friends house if you can you might want to pay a little more for internet speed especially upload

28. Offline

rossfudgew

No no It is an interal network problem. If he cannot connect within the house it has something to do the router inside the house, not his ISP.

29. Offline

SnowGears

I have a NETGEAR router. Not sure what DMZ is but that solution sounds like a fix to the exact problem I have. I have completely disabled the firewall on the server just while I was testing solutions so everything should be down.

30. Offline

TnT

You completely re-installed your OS. That means your driver and patch levels completely changed. You may also have changed how you are connecting to the server. There are many reasons that could have caused that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.