Development Assistance Question about the very basics

Discussion in 'Plugin Help/Development/Requests' started by tfacchini, Jun 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

tfacchini

Hello guys,

I'm just another minecraft / dev trying to have some fun with bukkit.

So far I created pretty simple plugins, but without any major issues.

Its common see questions about how to create new block skins, item skins, etc skins...
    I know this is not server side... what I would love to know is...

By adding new 3d models / materials into a minecraft client. Is there anyway to make of use of these new materials in a bukkit server?

If so, could you please tell me how? I really want to try some tiny but cool stuffs for my private server.

Thanks in advance,
    TF

2. Offline

terturl890

There is no way of doing as you want without having them install a resource pack or using a client side mod such as Spout (that is very outdated by now). You could, however, have multiple resource packs on the server and just use player.setResourcePack("url"); but the player would get a prompt for each resourcepack gathered this way. The first time the player clicks yes they wont have to click yes again. Same as no. So if a player clicks "No" when prompt, they wont be able to get the full server experience. (This was gathered from the Spigot/CraftBukkit resource for player.setResourcePack() for versio 1.8.3)

tfacchini likes this.
  3. Offline

tfacchini

Right,

Thanks for answering. So as far as I understood, with the resources pack I would be able to change textures / sounds and this kind of thing right?

Let's say I want to create my own block without mess around with the original ones? In fact, keep the standard ones and add a new block to my server? How could it be done?

Sorry if it's silly, I'm just trying to understand how all these pieces and bits comes together.

Thanks,
    TF

4. Offline

Boomer

Resource pack allows you to replace any of the sounds, textures, models yes. And any player that chooses to use your pack will see /hear all that. Those who dont, still only see/hear default OR whatever personal texturepack they are using.

You can only retexture/map the existing blocks. You would have to repurpose an existing block for 'your own' model/texture (ie replace sponge with a big happy smiley face ball) but you would totally lose the original model/texture

To add a new block to your server, you need to create your own mod, which would also involve creating a client-side mod to support that block, with its new properties.

tfacchini likes this.
  5. Offline

tfacchini

Oh Boomer,

Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to know, nailed!

Talking about the mods, which API we are talking about? Forge? Could you please give me some real examples? Would I need one mod for server e one for client? How bukkit would interact with this mod?

Sorry If become too repetitive but I'm really interested on it.

Again,
    Thank you guys :)

6. Offline

Boomer

a mod is a mod.
    You could recode the mojang vanilla client and server all on your own -- bukkit and spigot and forge and canary and such are all just different mod projects.

Forge seems to be the popular avenue for supporting server and clientside drop-in mods, providing a framework to work within.

Bukkit/Spigot etc do NOT interact with any such extra mods, they Can Not. They are server mods designed for vanilla-client connection and operation. Any non-vanilla support (new blocks, mobs) requires a different client, a client custom-made for the server or a client like forge running the client side mod code to complement the server side code.

7. Offline

terturl890

I would suggest you do a quick search on how to create mods (I suggest MCPylo's MC ModMaker) and then look into Cauldron. Cauldron can load mods AND plugins with the help of Forge. ;) good luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.