PvPTime (inspired by "In Time" movie)

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by xbenas, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Offline

xbenas

So I was watching "In Time" for the third time and only now got this idea. [diamond]

Somebody should make a plugin like similar life clocks people have in the movie but in a different way.

Here's a description of a plugin (also works for those who haven't even seen the film):
    • When a player joins, he gets a preset time of his life.
    • After that time runs out, the player gets killed.
    • The only way to increase your lifetime lol is to kill somebody else or ask somebody else for time.
    • If you kill the player, you only get half of his time left (or configured the other way).
    • When you donate time, you can donate the full amount of it.

This means, that rather than killing him, you should team up or pursue him to give his time to you in return to something. Tough, this might also give a chance to him to kill you or let his other teammates ambush you. This adds a perfect risk factor and suppresses the "kill everything on sight" instinct.
    That's it. Simple as that. This would work wonders on hardcore servers (getting banned on death) and seasoned servers (like a new map every month or something similar).

Scoreboard support highly preferred!
    Since time is always ticking, this plugin will absolutely need scoreboard support, because checking your time with a command is kind of annoying (or it will get over time) and nobody wants spam in the chat.

Config should look like this:
    Code:
    #Starting time in minutes
    startingtime: int
    #How much to divide the victims time by?
    divideby: int
    Permissions:
    pvptime.player - self explanatory
    pvptime.donate - able to donate
    pvptime.receive - able to receive donations
    pvptime.ignore - no timer

Commands:
    /pvptime check - check yer time
    /pvptime donate seconds - donate a specified amount of seconds
    Would be great to have a /pt alias!

I want to keep the plugin as simple as possible. [pig]
    Any takers?

Desle likes this.
  2. Offline

Konkz

I will give this a go.

I will update this as I continue with plugin development.

-=[]=- Update #1: Scoreboards work with a nice format, sadly still hard corded statistics
    Image (open)

[​IMG]

Desle and xbenas like this.
  3. Offline

xbenas

Konkz This is very nice.[diamond]

Desle likes this.
  4. Offline

Desle

xbenas
    This request is amazingly good.. I love this idea.. Oh my god

5. Offline

rfsantos1996

Yeah :confused: Love this movie, nice idea... Doesnt need really to be killing, but a money thing using time...

6. Offline

Konkz

If I was to make this plugin, who would use it on their server? Just wanting to get sense of how
    'flexible' I would have to make the plugin on initial release.

7. Offline

Deleted user

Konkz
    That looks pretty good.

For keeping track of time, I recommend storing the int in seconds in a config or player file. Then, have a schedule that runs every second to increment the stored value by one, etc

8. Offline

Konkz

What I will be doing is having a config where you insert seconds, then in game it will convert it to HH:MM:SS (HH if it exists).

9. Offline

Desle

xbenas rfsantos1996 Konkz
    One thing though, you have to check for alts, so there's no 'boosting' and your server needs to have a good amount of players..

10. Offline

Konkz

I will add a configuration setup allowing you to turn 'cooldown' for donating on and off.

11. Offline

xbenas

Konkz Desle rfsantos1996
    I was thinking about making a server with entry fee like 1$, so that people would actually value their lives instead of boosting their time.
    The server I have in mind (or, a part of my main server, whatev) is like i said in the main post, "hardcore" which would mean a ban if you die. I believe people wouldn't want to waste that much money just for virtual time. Killing someone would be just a better alternative.
    Also, seasoned means a wipe every now and then, so players who die can just return after a week or a few days to try again.

"b-b-but no one will pay your 1$ fee!"
    Yes they might, I can set up a SMS system for things in Europe for east buy&play stuff. Anyways, that's my concern how I will do it.

Nope, I see this as PvP only thing. Hence, the title.

Konkz Also, if I am correct, the right part of scoreboard is hardcoded to be numbers, right?
    Maybe the number part should just always display seconds, while the left line should be the other time.
    The format should be: MONTH:DAY:HOUR:MINUTE: SECONDS
    Here's an example:
    javaw 2014-02-06 20-26-38-90.png

12. Offline

Desle

xbenas
    But then again.. getting enough players on the server so people can actually live longer, is difficult with 1$ entry fee.

13. Offline

xbenas

Desle
    Yeah, I haven't fully thought that out, maybe the system is absolutely flawed.
    Just an idea.

14. Offline

Desle

xbenas
    What also could be cool.. that you have a standard server, although you have this plugin enabled in just one world, where people get banned from for some time on death.
    In that world you can find loot throughout a map that has been made by you, or your build team or whatever, that you can collect when you've left the world.

15. Offline

Konkz

xbenas - I'm really sorry, but due to a concern that has struck me that includes real life struggle with school makes me paralyzed towards the bigger project plugins like this one due to lack of time, concetration and patience.

I am very sorry about this! I hope that Desle will be able to make this, once again I'm sorry. If nobody does this and I still have time then I will happily fill this again.

Sorry!

16. I'll create this tomorrow, sounds like a couple minute job.

xbenas likes this.
  17. Offline

AndyMcB1

This has already been made! Search for it.

18. Offline

xbenas

I know, but I want something more PvP focused without the whole money thing.
    Also, scoreboard support.

19. Offline

Desle

Assist
    If you're rushing this plugin so you can finish it in a day or so, you're probably not putting enough effort in it.
    This plugin could make an amazing server, if the developer actually puts some time into it..
    I'm sure xbenas would like it if the developer would add some extras in, such as a nice chest GUI instead of the /pvptime donate. Little things like this.

20. Desle
    This plugin honestly wouldn't take long at all to create. As for your "little extras", I create only what the OP requests, nothing else.

21. Offline

Konkz

It will not take a lot of time but if you try to add those 'little extras' as I was going to it does take time.
    But if it will be fine with Assist then when he finishes the main structure I can add bits to it, if I have time.

Up to him.

22. Offline

xbenas

Assist Konkz
    I want this as simplistic and minimalistic as possible.
    No GUIs, only what I've written in the original post.
    And the scoreboard should look like in my example, no needed extra. Just your left time.
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

23. xbenas
    Alright. Unfortunately I hit a head ache earlier today, so I wasn't in the mood of doing anything that requires extra thinking. Tomorrow is Saturday, so I'll have lots of time to work on it.

Could you explain the remaining time format? You earlier said "MONTH: DAY: HOUR: MINUTE: SECOND", but the picture seems to be missing one of those units.

24. Offline

Desle

Messing around too :p
    Show picture
    [​IMG]

By the way, Assist, the score on his picture are the seconds.

Assist likes this.
  25. Offline

Mysticate

Wait... so what i'm hearing is TimeBomb on the nexus :p

26. Offline

Desle

27. So, is anyone still developing this right now? If not, I could make it as my next project

28. Offline

xbenas

Assist The red one shows the seconds.
    Clipboard01.png

Assist Also, the time (in seconds) should be simply stored on a file like the format below:
    View attachment 17828

Or, if that is not possible, just a separate file for every player: View attachment 17831

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  29. xbenas
    Both of them are possible, I'll do whatever you prefer.

Edit: I definitely underestimated the size of this project. It has been about a hour now, I just finished the coding. I'm about to test it now to see how many things I have to fix :p

30. Offline

Desle

xbenas Assist
    Should the time run even when the player is offline? I feel like that's better if you give them more starting time too. This makes them want to play more.