Solved Processor Lag, Chunks wont Unload.

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by mmorton89, Oct 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

mmorton89

Ok, So today my processor has been going nuts. It keeps spiking really high and I have never seen it use so much CPU % before. With htop i am seeing around 70-90%.

I would like any advise on what my server could actually handle and if there is anything I could have done wrong to make it use so much CPU.

Server

xeon e3-1230v2 (3.3GHz, 8MB Cache, 4 cores, 8 threads)
    Centos 6.3
    16 GB DDR3 RAM
    64 GB SSD (bukkit runs off this drive)
    500 GB HDD (backups)

I know I have a lot of resource heavy plugins, but can my processor really not handle all these plugins? I mean I rented this server for its specs and it doesn't seem to be handling it the way I expected it to.

[INFO] Plugins (37): Orebfuscator Ptweaks NoCheatPlus WorldEdit VoxelSniper Vault Multiverse-Core PermissionsEx LogBlock Questioner WorldGuard dynmap iConomy Register VoxelGadget TimeLock Scavenger LegendaryLibrary BKCommonLib ButtonCommands PvPReward SimpleSpleef Votifier Heroes Essentials Jobs WorldBorder Towny CreativeControl EssentialsSpawn VanishNoPacket LWC OnTime Campaign ChestShop TownyChat Dynmap-Towny

I mean this is similar to how my Phenom II acted with the same map and similar plugins, I expected a xeon e3 to handle this way better.

I don't know maybe I did something wrong, if anyone has suggestions or ideas please post and thank you :D

Also if you need any more info just ask :D

2. Offline

Plague

That's strange, Minecraft is more I/O heavy than anything, preferrably should have lots of RAM and only then needs CPU.
    I can only think of 2 reasons - generating new map areas and having too many people causing some plugin to work.
    From the simple look I don't see any plugin needing much power, but I do not know all of them.
    Then there is the possibility of having a faulty plugin of course, so I'd try removing some of them and testing if possible.

mmorton89 likes this.
  3. Offline

mmorton89

Well I could try but I usually have people on during the day/weekends. There isn't any errors that I have noticed, could a plugin be broken and not throw errors in the console?

edit - also I have worldguard and a pregenerated map. No new chunks are being created.

4. Offline

Plague

So it does not use CPU without people? That's a first clue, which plugin needs to be used by people (most of them sure, but you know what do people do with the can be the clue).
    It can be badly written or have a problem without a hard error, I'm just guessing here, without any tests it's hard to say.

Post your startup command too, could show something.

5. Offline

mmorton89

I use a script for bukkit.
    Code:
    INVOCATION="java -Xmx8096M -Xms2048M -server -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:ParallelGCThreads=$CPU_COUNT -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=500 -jar $SERVICE nogui"

$CPU_COUNT = 4 and $SERVICE = craftbukkit.jar

6. Offline

Jade

Orebfuscator.

Again, Obfuscator is a VERY resource intensive plugin.

(Taken from the Forum thread & Wiki)

I'm not too familiar with Orebfuscator, so I can't point out any tips here, but UseParallelGC is Use Parallel Garbage Collection (Not sure what this is for, though.)
    I'd personally change the view distance, just for safe measures.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2020
  7. Offline

MyPictures

Which version of NoCheatPlus do you use? Using a dev build may increase the performance of it a bit (depends on what version your currently use):
    http://www.nocheatplus.org:8080/job/NoCheatPlus/

A good way to find heavy plugins is to use NoLagg examine:
    http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/nolagg/
    http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/nolagg/pages/nolagg-examine/

Ok and it would be nice if you could upload a examine here (if you don't mind showing your plugins a bit here) or send me a PM with it.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2020
    mmorton89 likes this.
  8. Offline

mmorton89

What would be the best way to do it?

9. Offline

MyPictures

1. Install NoLag on your server temporary (optimal: only let NoLagg examine enable and disable any other component of NoLagg in the config)
    2. Execute command /lag examine (500 ticks) or /lag examine [duration] in console or ingamechat
    3. Zip the examine file and upload it so we can see it

10. Offline

mmorton89

No I meant, how do I upload files on to craftbukkit forums. lol

Ok, I think this has to do with chunks not unloading. I did a reboot on the machine because it had been up for almost 2 days. Now it is at 20-30% CPU and no lag what so ever, and before I noticed it has 30,000+ chunks loaded and almost 7000 entities in my main world. Yet there was only like 6 people online at the time. Earlier I had a lot of people online and I think that the chunks they loaded, did not unload when they got off/left the area.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2016
  11. Offline

MyPictures

A sorry lol understood your wrong.

Just click "More options..." or "Upload a File" and use zip or rar.

12. Offline

mmorton89

Here it is. but I do not see it :-/

Attached Files:

13. Offline

MyPictures

Emm same, if you have difficulty's you can also use dropbox or mediafire, works also.

14. Offline

mmorton89

I am downloading dropbox now to upload it, but I am positive it is the chunks not wanting to unload.

Since I have restarted my server my CPU % has been slowly rising and so has my loaded chunks...

It started at 2500 chunks now it is at 10000 chunks.

Here is the dropbox link

First I want to thank you guys for your advise and help, You guys helped me greatly increase my CPU performance. :D
    Second I found out what the main issue was, Ptweaks was not letting any of my chunks unload. After removing it and making some changes to my other plugins, as you guys suggested, my server is running better than ever!

Again thanks! :D

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2016
  15. Offline

MyPictures

O nice, I checked your examine and your Plugins were in the green area so...

I wish you good luck with your server for the future!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.