Printing special characters [♠, ♣, ♥, ♦] in chat...

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by Father Of Time, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Father Of Time

That is correct; the font.txt that is server side is the actual filter, which can be altered utilizing reflections. The client is not involved with this filter... God Bless Minecraft for having code in both the client and server even when it's only needed by the server... :confused:

Hmm, never thought of that. One of these days when I am bored I will have to look into what filters sign text; out of curiosity have you tried using these characters on a sign after using this patch, it may resolve that issue too.

2. Offline

Monowii

Can I have the code with the player send message because It isn't working for me ... Thx !

3. Offline

Father Of Time

There is no code Monowii other than the proof of concept provided on the first page of this post. This isn't a plug-in, it's a conversation on plausability. The information was provided to give future interested developers a starting point for special character implementation, but outside that you will have to make your own code.

4. Offline

desht

I can state from experience that the font.txt modification (and by implication the reflection method discussed here) does indeed work for signs too. ChessCraft can display Cyrillic text on its control panel signs with a modified font.txt.

Father Of Time likes this.
  5. Offline

Father Of Time

So we have that going for us... Which is nice! :D

Thanks for the confirmation Desht!

6. Offline

d33k40

Father Of Time, can i put my code here?

7. Offline

wirher

@Father Of Time,
    wow man. When I saw this thread last time I was like "oh god, not possible. why are you wasting time". But today I see that you guys have done great work here.

8. Offline

zaph34r

I just want to say, you guys rock :D having special characters available without too much of a hassle is great, thanks a lot.

9. Offline

Father Of Time

*smiles* the most rewarding projects are those that are generally considered "impossible". :D I appreciate that you took the time to share your positive feedback, thank you wirher.

Like a boulder! Seriously though, it's truly gratifying to know that this simple thought experiment has benefited so many individuals, I am happy to have contributed.

Thank you all for taking the time to share your opinions on this thought experiment, it's made me realize that there is plenty of room for future thought experiments ( I am getting ready to do another to see if I can use reflections to add in custom ChatColor colors).

Take care everyone!

10. You can.

11. Offline

ZachBora

:O

That's impossible... I mean current colors are just a unicode character followed by a number 0-F and the new font letter. I don't see how you could do new colors without modding client.

12. He's just talking about adding something to the enum, nothing to do with the client.

Father of Time: You probably only need to change some small parts from the code of the custom plugin and you should be fine :D

13. Offline

Father Of Time

This is why I consider you my personal Rock Star... you're just that damn good! ;)

This is the exact point of these thought experiments, to try and break the Bukkit community of the insanely overused statement of "that is impossible". Frankly nothing is impossible, it's just a matter of how easily it can be done. Some things are nearly impossible, but nothing is truly impossible.

As stated by kumpel, this is information stored server side just like the special characters (I can't seem to find it on GitHub atm, but here is the javadocs version):

http://jd.bukkit.org/doxygen/d7/d06/ChatColor_8java_source.html

Because this is a variable stored on the server side it should be modifiable using reflections, which has been confirmed by Kumpelblase2.

I wish someone would start a grass roots campaign to condition people and teach them to use the phrase "I don't know of a way to do it" rather than "It can't be done", because the statements mean two entirely different things, but are often used interchangeably.

p.s. This isn't a statement directed at you ZackBora, just an observation of the Bukkit community as a whole. ;)

14. Offline

caldabeast

This is by far the most inspiring post I have ever read. In less than a week of work, what was commonly thought as impossible was overturned. I can't wait to see how this progresses and if custom chat colors will ever be possible!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.