Possible increase in bandwidth in 1.8?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by xbenas, Aug 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

xbenas

According to my previous thread here, https://forums.bukkit.org/threads/will-1-8s-impact-on-the-code-will-be-as-big-as-1-7s.294707/ , I was thinking that we might see a huge increase in network usage because of how blocks are sent to the client.
    Now, if we send a map full of dirt, it will be like:

3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3...................

After the update, it will be

minecraft:dirt;minecraft:dirt;minecraft:dirt;minecraft:dirt;minecraft:dirt;minecraft:dirt;minecraft:dirt;minecraft:dirt;minecraft:dirt;minecraft:dirt;minecraft:dirt;minecraft:dirt...........

Is my statement true or am I making stupid assumptions?

2. Offline

Joseph3262

I would imagine the servers still sends using numbers but then would map it to words internally after the numbers are sent. Just what i think though

3. Offline

Syd

I doubt it.

I'm not aware how they solve it, but a solution would be:
    Client: "Hey Server, how are you?"
    Server: "Good, I'll send you the world now. You have to know: minecraft:dirt is 3 in this world."
    Client: "Okay, cool"
    Server: "3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3"

4. xbenas If only data could be compressed, eh?

5. Offline

Skye

xbenas The lowest bandwidth method of communicating an enum value would probably be to send its ordinal, which is also an int. So there will probably be no change in network usage concerning block type.

6. Offline

Chiller

xbenas I highly doubt that the minecraft makers would be that stupid to increase the bandwidth by 1400% for a dirt block... Not feasible...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.