Plugin Recommendations for almost vanilla SMP

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by Weznezz, Jul 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Weznezz

Hi guys I run my own bukkit server for about a dozen people. The gameplay itself is pretty much vanilla SMP with a few protection and moderation mods.
    Before I had quite a handful of mods installed, and when reading into these mods (Like the first thing we ever do is documentation reading) I noticed I had a few mods with the same features.

Now I want to use minimal plugins but not lose out on much of their functionality. And I'd like your opinions on what I should keep, scrap, and get.

Firstly these are the features I absolutely *need*
    Admin commands like /tp /goto /summon /kick /ban /jail
    WorldEdit, BorderGuard, Dynmap & HeroicDeath - I'll be keeping these mods
    Chat colours (actually I just want Username colour per group)
    creeper protection for world blocks (to stop them damaging our builds)
    At the moment the server is whitelisted to stop griefers, but I'd personally like to scrap it so people can still look around the server, but also not allow them to damage or place blocks.

Essentials comes with too many commands I never use, and I just feel its wasted space.
    And I could never get Permissions working. I also got confused with Essentials as each revision change also changed how it mentioned GroupManager or Permissions and I never understood if they were built in or not.

Any help in choosing what I need would be an absolutely great help :)

2. Offline

oz_revulsion

I'm migrating my server at the moment so I went plugin shopping and I am doing a complete overhaul of which plugins I am using for what. My server is exactly the same as you are describing, vanilla gameplay public server.

I was using commandbook but I didn't like how many of the commands were broken and before commandbook I was using Essentials but it conflicts with too many other plugins because it tries to be a jack of all trades and ends up being a master of none. I am now using AdminCmd which I think is the best I have used so far.

As for Chat colours I was using iChat but for the server change I have moved to MantraChat which is very simple to configure which is a big plus for me. Personally I would prefer to trade heaps of features to have a simple configuration.

As far as greifer protection I am using the combination of Residence to keep our towns protected and SimpleLog to keep track of greifing outside of town along with PlgLogCmd to see fools who try and use /kick or /ban the second they join (greifer alert!!!) and I also use Heroic death which is funny for the players to see when they are dying but also serves another purpose in that it logs PvP. Obviously none of that does any roll back but it uses less resources than BB or LogBlock, doesn't require a dB and if you do it right then things stay under control pretty well.

Best of luck with choosing your plugins! :D

Cheers
    Oz

PS all the names I have used are right so to download them just type them into the Get Plugins to save me having to put links on all of them. Cheers ;)

[EDIT] I forgot about FLTDetector to keep the plebs from pwning your towns :)

3. Offline

Daniel Heppner

4. Offline

oz_revulsion

I'm sure a lot of hard work has gone in to fix the problems that I had I must admit I had command book a couple of versions ago. I was just pointing out why I changed. But your right it needs to be said that it is probably all good by now. Sorry for the misleading post.

Cheers
    Oz

5. Offline

Daniel Heppner

Same person that made WorldEdit, WorldGuard and CraftBook.

6. Offline

Aro2220.com

Your #1 problem is that you are not using permissions or essentials.

First of all, you can't use permissions AND group manager, so remove group manager stuff. Just use the essentials.jar and not the other stuff.

And as for permissions...if you aren't using it you're just wrong. It is too damn useful and every good plugin 100% supports it. Not to mention you can choose WHICH commands to give people and then then the /help command in essentials will only display the commands they have. Nice.

7. Offline

Daniel Heppner

Essentials is crap and new plugins are going to start moving over to Bukkit's built in permissions (SuperPerms). PermissionsBukkit even has a fake Permissions so it'll also support Permissions (non SuperPerms) plugins.

8. Offline

Weznezz

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll definitely look into these :)

9. Offline

Aro2220.com

Nice, I can't wait until it switches to bukkit permissions. I think it's silly that permissions is a plugin since every other plugin relies on it. It totally needs to be part of bukkit.

Can't wait!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.