Plugin Idea - Mac Address Banning

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by ghost0001, Jul 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Vhab

Relying on the client to provide you with information used to identify and ban clients?
    No, that's not a good idea.

2. Spout is a custom client though. You'd either be using the SpoutCraft client or you wouldn't be. However, I don't believe I was serious about it at the time.

3. Offline

Vhab

My point was rather that a client can never be trusted to provide information that is used with the intention of being able to ban that client.
    The only reliable ban information available is the account name (if running in online mode) and the IP address.

4. Offline

ghost0001

easy bans can ban for you..idk if its updated though

5. Offline

xxxkilldogxxx

i really need another way to ban people i had this one person who persistantly come back to spam he has like 2,500 accounts and multiple proxys anyways to ban him?

6. Whitelist your server. What did you do to make someone so angry with you?

Also, that many accounts is a ridiculous waste of money. This guy is retarded or stealing accounts.

On the other hand, spamming a Minecraft server just automatically qualifies him as retarded.

iPhysX likes this.
  7. Offline

ghost0001

xxxkilldogxxx i use easybans and ban an entire subnet. I look up an IP address and ban cities. Thats how I roll!

iPhysX likes this.
  8. Offline

Don Redhorse

I have that too... I LIKE it :)

iPhysX likes this.
  9. Offline

cnaude

Why even bother with a plugin?
    If your server is on Linux just use iptables to block the MAC address.
    Though you should probably validate the MAC is not that of your gateway. This probably won't work. ;)
    Code:
    iptables -A INPUT -m mac --mac-source 00:00:00:00:00:00 -j DROP

10. Offline

ghost0001

ahh, and instead of blocking said city, i block their gateway? will i get their gateway's MAC?

11. Offline

Vhab

Nope, cnaude just made a bad guess at how mac addresses work :)
    You can't ban online people by mac address.

12. Offline

zipfe

Why did you revive this zombie thread. Banning Mac addresses is such a stupid idea, it will never become a plug-in.

13. Offline

NullCity

I can't believe I'm saying this. But I will start working on it today.

But a MAC Address ban fails if the person just gets another computer, or changes router channel. :p

Also try EasyBan, handles dynamic ip bans! :O

- MintDev Owner

Make a IP Ban range or get EasyBan to ban a country or certain location.

Never mind, no longer making the MAC address ban. They're so simple to change, change from wireless to Ethernet, BOOM! MAC address changed :p simple as that.

- MintDev Owner

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2016
  14. Offline

Vhab

That's not how the internet works.
    Start reading into the subject and you'll see how utterly pointless it is.

And no, this has absolutely nothing to do with people changing from wired to wireless.
    You'll never even get those mac addresses.

15. Offline

cnaude

You are correct. I tested this with a tcpdump on my minecraft server. All TCP connections only contain the MAC address of my router. That doesn't mean it's not possible to ban a MAC. It's just only going to work for addresses on the same subnet. It's easy enough to test. :D

Ultimately the best solution is whitelist.

16. Just to let you know, I'm working hard to make sure EasyBan gets updated, so keep an eye on the EasyBan thread.

17. Offline

ghost0001

please do, i use that plugin more for the /ealternative and /ehistory than i do the ip subnet banning. It has saved my server once with the subnet banning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.