Plot creation size suggestions? One plot per player. For contest building

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by Prgr, Apr 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Prgr

Hello everyone, my server has a problem with going stale after the fifth castle is built. Now I am interested in building a plugin that will create plots for our players to build in, then the best creations by vote will be featured on the website. I am curious to know what a suitable size is for different contests. I think 2Chunks by 2 Chunks is too large, but 1 chunk is too small. Any suggestions?

2. Offline

codename_B

2*2 isn't too large.
    4*4 is generally a good shout for plots, gives people plenty of freedom.

3. Offline

Father Of Time

My houses start at a default 25x25x45, which is about the same as 2x2 chunk (a chunk is 16x16, so a 2x2 chunk is 32x32). This amount seems to be plenty of space to build.

4. Offline

Prgr

oh my gosh! It is so funny You commented! Me and my sis really liked your old server(I believe it was yours) . In fact I am trying to recreate your VIP plugin (I think that was the name) Dude can you give me any tips? Maybe about plot positioning or anything else?

Yeah I think that is a good area, is it important to set a height limit? And are you using those dimensions for a creative house? I have a creative server...

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2016
  5. Offline

Father Of Time

We set height limits because when a house protection region is from sky to bedrock it often gets in the way of unsuspecting miners. Often we would see people mining far underground away from the players house who owns the protected region, but because it was vertically expanded (sky to floor) the miners would all of a sudden hit a wall and have to mine around it.

Simply put, it made it difficult for players to navigate the "underworld" and frankly for no reason, the players who owned the regions really couldn't care about the caves below their structures. Oh, it also frees up a tremendous amount of resources.

And no, I operate an economy based Faction/Guild PvP server; it is solely survival, no creative mode.

6. Offline

Prgr

You said it frees up a ton of resources, do you mean for In-game Ores, or the RAM of your Server? And do your homes line up on the same grid or is the position defined exact by the player?
    Thanks for the comment!

7. Offline

Father Of Time

I was referring to crafting resources, stone, diamond, etc.

And no, my system utilizes two free floating points and cuboids, aka the regions can be any size and dimension and aren't affiliated with chunks in any fashion.

It's my pleasure to share, concept exploration is quite entertaining to me. :D

Prgr likes this.
  8. Offline

Prgr

Thanks Father of Time! Very helpful.

9. Offline

codename_B

You mean the one with a world of plots?

10. Offline

Prgr

Yeah, that one. Got any tips to make my own?

11. Offline

codename_B

You've gotta be pretty restrictive with the plot-build-rights. People like to "leak" outside and grief lots.

80% of the plots were grief plots on the server I ran lol.

Prgr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.