Plugin Help PEX not adding new players to the default group.

Discussion in 'Plugin Help/Development/Requests' started by AncientTom, Mar 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

AncientTom

First off, let me say that I am totally frustrated with the way this forum is being used. If you found the answer to your problem, Let everyone know what your fix was before you close the thread and go away. I have been reading all the threads that possibly related to my issue for the past two hours and almost all of them where the person that started the thread found the fix and kept that information to their self. So I am just going to post my issue now and not waste any more of my time looking at closed, not really resolved threads.

I am trying to set up a uSkyblock server and having many problems to get things working right. The first one I am trying to fix is an issue with PEX which created a new permissions.yml file but will not add the default group to new users that are joining the game. I have Googled this in every way I can think of trying to find the answer of what I am missing. I have found other's posts on this issue but any remedy that was suggested didn't resolve my problem. I have gone through the PEX's configuration and see nothing that would cause this.

config.yml:
    Code:
    multiserver:
      use-netevents: true
    permissions:
      debug: false
      allowOps: true
      user-add-groups-last: false
      log-players: false
      createUserRecords: true
      backend: file
      informplayers:
      changes: false
      basedir: plugins/PermissionsEx
      backends:
      file:
      type: file
      file: permissions.yml
    updater: true
    alwaysUpdate: false

My permissions.yml:
    Code:
    groups:
      Guest:
        options:
          default: true
        permissions:
        - -modifyworld.sprint
        - modifyworld.*
        - -bukkit.command.plugins
    schema-version: 1
    users:
      b0d44a49-5355-4ee4-afcd-9254713506b3:
        group: []
        options:
          name: AncientTom

The first and most obvious thing that I checked was to make sure that default: was set to true. Also, I went as far as to remove the permissions file and let PEX rewrite a default file and PEX automatically created the default group with "options: default: true" (without quotes) which still didn't work. I removed the "default: true" line from the file. Then, inside the game, I set the default group as default. PEX put the "default: 'true'" back into the file (this time PEX used single quotes). This didn't work either. It seems that the argument over whether PEX needs a string or a boolean value here is not an issue since PEX itself uses both in this case.

Below is some Info that may be pertinent.
    Server jar: spigot-1.11.2.jar
    PEX version: PermissionsEx-1.23.4.jar
    Plugins used:
    EssentialsX-2.0.1
    EssentialsXAntiBuild-2.0.1
    EssentialsXChat-2.0.1
    EssentialsXGeoIP-2.0.1
    EssentialsXProtect-2.0.1
    EssentialsXSpawn-2.0.1
    Modifyworld
    Multiverse-Core-2.5-b717
    Multiverse-NetherPortals-2.5
    Multiverse-Portals-2.5
    PermissionsEx-1.23.4
    uSkyBlock
    Vault
    worldedit-bukkit-6.1.5
    worldguard-6.2

I have been a PEX user since 2012 and this is the first time I have had this problem. Why won't PEX add the default group for new users joining the game?

Thanks for any and all help.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  2. Offline

Zombie_Striker

@AncientTom
    Adding the default: true should be enough to add new users to the group. If you remove your user section at the bottom and reload/rejoin the server, does it add you to the correct group? If not, this may be an issue with the newest branch. Try reporting your issue on their github page. Either someone who has worked with essentials may be able to help you, are someone can write a patch to fix this issue:
    https://github.com/drtshock/Essentials/issues

3. Offline

AncientTom

I've tried that several times without success. I just gave it a mention on PEX's GitHub forum and was told that this is normal for version 1.x. Any user that is not assigned to a group, is automatically issued permissions from the default group. This is not the case, however, for my installation. All new players who enter the game have absolutely no permissions to do anything.

Actually, this is the proper answer to this issue. I forgot that I had set a radius of 48 blocks around the spawn area and I need to assign even the basic permissions if I want players to be able to use them.

The reason PEX doesn't actually assign the default group to all new user entries and, instead, just uses the default group's permissions for any user not assigned to a group is so an administrator doesn't have to go through hundreds of user entries changing their group assignments when the default group assignment is changed.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.