Permissions.yml not working? Need help please.

Discussion in 'General Help' started by deathrobe20000, Nov 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

deathrobe20000

I think my ranks aren't working, I'm honestly not sure. I'm just getting back into the whole server and permissions thing and I use to just use bukkit permissions no pluginmanager or anything. PermissionsEx is very easy to do but I set a permisson for one of my groups "Co-Owner" so that they couldn't change my group since I'm in the group of "Owner", but in game they can still change my group even though the permission is set not to do so. Also, I wanted to ask if anyone knows why people in my Co-Owner group can't edit the world and blocks but can when and only when I Op them on my server? If someone could please tell me what I'm doing wrong that would be great, also I'm including my errors I get when I start up my server including when I reload it. (I'm using BukkitGUI with spigot1649 to run my server and add plugins with ease. I have craftbukkit and it says I'm using it so I assume I'm using bukkit since it's running.) One last thing, if anyone can talk to me over Skype about this problem and help me fix it through screen share I would much appreciate it! Please PM me for my Skype name.​

Permissions.yml: http://pastebin.com/fL5rxJS3

2. Offline

AGC-Intra

Not sure of load order of permissions plugin/setup you're using but the following,
    Code:
    "permissions":
            "-permissions.manage.membership.<group>",
            "permissions.*",
            "essentials.*"
    They can change owner group most likely because,
    you rem the manage permission but follow it with full permissions given, ie: permissions. Try switching them around so permissions.* is first, followed by the removal of access to the .manage.membership commands.

3. Offline

deathrobe20000

So I put the "- -permissions.manage.membership.<group>" node under "permissions.*" and it still does not work. Any other advice you could possibly give me? Also, do you know why I have to op everyone for them to be able to break blocks or edit the world? Like can't I just put them into the group Co-Owner and not Op them?

4. Offline

AGC-Intra

Well not even sure what permissions.* or anything starting with permissions is there for. That is not how you use permissions.
    If your permissions plugin does not support build rights then Essentials is probably handling it for you.
    So your member rank needs, essentials.build (to let people build)

Be sure to review the wiki/documentation of plugins you use.
    PermissionsEx for example does not support the give all '*' node.
    See the info here.

5. Offline

deathrobe20000

Okay I see now, thanks a lot! By the way if you read See the info here, Pex does support the give all command '*' there's just some side effects to using it. One more question though. Does this mean I have to go in and physically type which permissions I want certain groups to have? The reason why I ask because a lot of other tutorials and other people say you can use the '*' give all command as an easy way to allow access to all the commands when using Pex. Also, you still haven't answered my other question about if I have to Op people on my server to put them into groups so their permissions work or if I can just put them into groups with the permissions working on them without having to Op them?

6. Offline

JaguarJo

deathrobe20000 You should not have to give anyone OP on your server ever. Putting them in a group should allow them to use that group's permissions.

As for the order of your perms, you were correct before to put the negated nodes before the node with the wildcard in it. PEX reads its perms top to bottom, and if you grant someone access to every node it will ignore the negations that follow it, so put all negations at the top.

Your permission node - -permissions.manage.membership.<group> is incorrectly defined. If you want to use that, you have to either put actual group names in where it says <group> or use the * symbol to signify all groups like this - -permissions.manage.membership.* . The documentation you looked at to find permission nodes is just using <group> as a placeholder, it is not what literally goes in your permission node.

One other thing, I'm pretty sure that PEX doesn't work wonderfully with hyphenated group names (unless they've changed that recently). You might have better luck with your Co-Owner group if you change the name to CoOwner.

AGC-Intra likes this.
  7. Offline

deathrobe20000

Everything is working great now, thanks a lot JaguarJo! One more thing though, do you know what all my error messages mean? The first thing I get when I start my server up is these errors:

and then whenever I reload my server I get these errors:

Errors: http://pastebin.com/EscNa43x

8. Offline

AGC-Intra

deathrobe20000
    Indeed the info I gave about PEx not supporting the '*' was incorrect.
    Sorry about the bad info there, not sure why I misread that page.

9. Offline

deathrobe20000

AGC-Intra
    Hey don't worry about it at all! Every mistake is a step in the right direction ;)

10. Offline

JaguarJo

deathrobe20000 Sorry, I'm not familiar with those errors. I don't have experience with Spigot, so I'm not sure if those are common ones or something really specific. If I had to guess I'd say it was something to do with SimplePluginManager, since that repeats in the errors a lot, but I really don't know.

I did notice that you said you "reload" your server though. Generally speaking, it's best to refresh your server by doing a full stop and then start again. The reload command has been known to break things before and cause memory leaks.

AGC-Intra likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.