Permissions 3.1.6 to PermissionsBukkit

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Cosmic Break, Aug 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Cosmic Break

Does anyone have a tool or know of a way to do this easily?

I need to start using permissionsbukkit for many newer plugins and those that have updated to use only this. but its a pain to have to rewrite hundreds of lines of permissions and nodes.

2. Offline

Supersam654

I have never heard of a tool that will convert your permissions file/s over for you, however almost all of it is copy and paste. Even with your "hundreds of lines" permissions file (which I really doubt is over 150 lines), the whole process will take less than 1/2 an hour.

3. Offline

Sh8kezula

Depends on the Permissions plugin! If you were using PEX's YAML backend, there is a converter available on the PermissionsBukkit Tools page. Also available on the tools page is an automatic converter for Essentials GroupManager users.yml and groups.yml files.

Automatic converters for Permissions 2.7 and 3.x are on their way, but in the meantime you can still convert your configurations manually

4. Offline

ohtwo

I may have switched over to PermissionsBukkit, but the convertor tools have been "on their way" for a while. I understand it takes time, but I suppose it isn't necessary to switch until Permissions 3.x really does get outdated.

5. Offline

Banana937

Or you could still with GroupManager which IMO is much better.

6. Offline

ohtwo

I haven't really taken a look at it. When I was setting up in the beginning Permissions 3.x was still being updated and a lot of people seemed to use it, so I jumped on the bandwagon. Maybe I'll take a look at it.

7. Offline

Sh8kezula

Why would you tell anyone to switch to an inactive plugin? I use it myself. But I wount not be telling other users to use a plugin that they will receive little support on.

Everyone should be switching to PermissionsBukkit.. Cause once every other perm manager is gone.. this one will still be around..

8. Offline

Supersam654

IMNotVeryH opinion, there really is no need for these permissions converters. If someone is too lazy to spend 1/2 an hour migrating to a new permissions system, then maybe that someone shouldn't be running a Bukkit server.

9. Offline

Sh8kezula

I fully agree with Sam on this one... Using these converters will give you a messy file.. that you will have a hard time in the future with.

Only use these at last resort.

10. Offline

Banana937

That's just like my perspective on Hamachi -- If you can't be assed to learn Port Forwarding, you probably shouldn't be running a server.

Supersam654 likes this.
  11. Offline

ohtwo

I agree with that. But if you're really pouring a lot of work into the server already, wouldn't you appreciate a convertor to speed up the process? If it doesn't do it well, then that's a fair point.

12. Offline

Cosmic Break

Ah, thank you, where was this hiding! it helps alot!

dont wait too long, many major plugins are already phasing it out.

eh no, its worse than perm 2.7

ive written and rewritten permissions files so many times over the past year and a half ive been using craftbukkit and running servers. its a pain to convert everything over and over again.

its not about laziness, so learn what its like to run a server before you judge someones actions.

even if it gives a messy file, if you know how to read, errors are easy to fix. and once you study the format then there isnt a problem.

while i have a strong dislike of anything hamachi, i can see the point in using it if the host or ISP doesn't allow port forwarding. but when its possible to port forward and they use it, thats just ignorance.

thank you! its such a hassle to write new permission nodes, update plugins and help your server members get used to the new stuff, anything to make it less stressful is a blessing

13. Offline

Sh8kezula

I have also re written my perm files about 100 times in the last 6 months... It is no longer about lazyness for me either... I just want to smash it all with a hammer.

Supersam654 likes this.
  14. Offline

Banana937

Just my point. Why do people hate it so much? The in-game commands are boss, simple and effective, you don't have to do any annoying "track" stuff like in Permissions 3.

15. Offline

Supersam654

@Cosmic Break I used to have my own server and, just like all new server owners, I have spent countless hours screwing around with every permission plugin I could find. However, I am also a Bukkit plugin developer and understand the amount of time that it takes to write plugins and anything related to Bukkit. With that said, I don't believe that it is really worth a developer's time to spend hours writing a plugin or a converter that will save server owners 20 or 30 minutes tops. And for that matter, this isn't exactly an original idea. When hMod "dissolved" the Bukkit team gave up on trying to support it simply because it wasn't worth the time to support legacy ideas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.