On namespaces - please do NOT use *.bukkit in your plugins.

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by EvilSeph, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

xZise

Okay this is useful but I couldn't decide this and don't know if it possible to ignore packages which are getting sealed.

Fabian

2. Offline

AOD_Batman

3. Offline

Plague

I edited his post to give a warning and PM'd samkio.

4. Offline

AOD_Batman

5. Offline

ChrizC

What about me.ChrizC.<pluginname>

Like I use me.ChrizC.stockexchange ?

Chris :cool:

6. Offline

stelar7

my.plugin.<username>.<pluginname> :D

7. Offline

ZachBora

So since I own worldcretornica.com I could use
    com.worldcretornica.pluginname?

8. Offline

Don Redhorse

9. Offline

Delocaz

Even though i have marvinbek.net, i use me.Delocaz.(pluginname), because my first plugin YARP (on my first forum account marvinbek, i got a new one because of BukkitDev) was me.marvinbek.YARP because i didn't own the domain back then and i kept that layout for consistency's sake.

10. Offline

bogdacutu

Do caps matter? I used me.Bogdacutu.* without realizing that there are this kind of rules.
    By the way, I own bogdacutu.me :D

11. Offline

zhuowei

In Java, package names are usually in lowercase.

12. Offline

bogdacutu

That's really sad, will keep in mind.

Wait a second, my plugin name has uppercase letters too ^.^

13. For whatever reason, package names are lowercase but classnames are title cased.

14. Offline

DeadHunter

Wiki:
    So i chose "de.plain-solution.<pluginname>", but eclipse says: 'plain-solution' is not a valid Java identifier :(

15. Offline

ZachBora

16. Offline

Bobfan

Instead of putting .Bukkit, could you put .BukkitPlugin? I don't see anything wrong with that?

17. The problem is that Java naming conventions tell you to use a domain name that you actually own. If you don't own a domain, an email that you own works too, like com.mail.myusername.SuperPlugin.

18. Offline

Cirno

Don't know if it's safe to keep using, but is core or root as a standalone package work fine? I always had my plugins just dive right into something, nothing like something.something2.zomg.wut
    Here's what I mean
    [​IMG]

19. There's nothing keeping you from using no package name at all. It's just weird.

20. Offline

Cirno

I tried using no package name, or just (default package). Trust me, Bukkit spews out errors like if it just died or something.

21. Mind if I see those errors? I haven't got a working Bukkit dev system anymore.

22. Offline

Themuddfamily

Even if I own bukkit.in ?

23. Offline

kreashenz

24. Offline

psychic94

I've been using psy.plugin. Is there anything wrong with this?

25. Offline

kreashenz

psychic94 No. If you use org.bukkit/net.minecraft/com.bukkit/anything affiliated with Bukkit or Net.minecraft then change it.

26. I just use (" moc.tikkub.worldofkhriz ") [gold] . Ain't no one gonna tell me I'm doing anything wrong![sheep] cause they'd be just mad that I'm too smart to mock their security:mad: cause that'd mean I'm actually wrong ._.

Following the Copyright (c) laws and / or the bukkit rules [diamond] I'm gonna be in jail 5 years I'm not doing anything wrong nor illegal. :eek:
    Also if required, Following the Java statement about Namespaces: I'm pretty sure my namespace is already used very unique and won't be repeated, so I'm alright. Guys, please, don't worry so much for something so small and start working on your Plugin's bugs ;) [sheep]. Just DON'T use (org, com, net).bukkit.etc and everything will be alright.
    To be honest all the confusion started because EvilSeph someone said to use domain names when is not actually necessary.

PS: Lets all use moc.tikkub.<Busername> as namespace xD. (Yes No, I have haven't copyrighted that shit, so its fine :D) Maybe i'll write a tutorial myself stating that using moc.tikkub.<Busername>is going to cause your plugin to crash recommendable. (Jk). :rolleyes:

PS2: I like Sheeps and Cheese. [sheep]

PS3: Tsss~.... [creeper]

!!!BBOOOMM!!!

acecheesecr14 likes this.
  27. Offline

caseif

First, your post is very annoying in terms of text stylization, strikethroughs, and emoticons. Second, it's a Java convention to use a domain name if available, and if not, use another method mentioned. It's also acceptable to disclude the domain/name/email in favor of using the project name as the main package. You can also just use the default package (that is to say, none) in the same way that Minecraft itself does.

legostarwarszach likes this.
  28. Offline

acecheesecr14

So what about hyphens, not that I have used the bukkit namespace, i dont like using github...

OMFG.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2016
  29. Offline

gwas10

Are you aloud to use it any other way, like anyway you want? like {username}.{pluginname}.*

30. Offline

gwas10

T3h Cr33p3r
    So I'm guessing that is a yes. Based on you saying no, and giving the most random package name ever leads me to the conclusion that I am aloud to

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.