Official bukkit bukkit server?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by OneBillionAndOne, Dec 1, 2013.

?

Should bukkit have an official server?

1. Yes!

12 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. No!

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I had a thought, does bukkit, the amazing team that makes an awesome server for minecraft, have an official server? I haven't seen anything about it. I find it odd if bukkit wouldn't have an official server. Sure they might have test servers, and other things, but do they have a server for anyone to join, all focused on bukkit? If not, then this would be cool. I know planet minecraft has an official server (you ave to be level 10 and above to be on it but still) Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Maby im just bad at looking and maby there is a server out there but i haven't seen it :p

2. Offline

Jade

No, we do not.

3. Offline

gomeow

Hoolean and I were going to make an unofficial server at one point, but it unfortunately fell apart

4. Offline

Commander9292

gomeow You guys should have made one! Would've been really cool.

5. Offline

Hoolean

gomeow

One day... *gazes wistfully into the distance*

Pretty sure we had the plugin done, didn't we? :)

Ronnie0407 likes this.
  6. Offline

XD 3VIL M0NKEY

How many slots would one require for such server?
    I can see about hosting one for you.
    I'm already hosting My 4 servers, TnT's and Iroh's :p

7. Offline

EdwardBailie

It would be cool but it's gonna be really famous, and there are going to be 20k players online, so it's gonna cost a lot for hosting and stuff.

8. Offline

Hoolean

XD 3VIL M0NKEY

Last time we limited it to active members of the community, so I don't really know. I can't imagine it would be too crazy an amount.

9. Offline

XD 3VIL M0NKEY

Hoolean
    Hmm, possibly an application thingy?

10. Offline

Adriani6

I would call, the amount of players, a slight exaggeration :p

11. Offline

gomeow

Nope, that was what stopped us...

Still have the old application: http://bukkthat.com/

12. This would be cool, we should make one. I might be able to host one, if i shut down my other server i can get a server with 5gb ded ram and 7 gb burst ram, 40gb storage, web server, mysql server, etc.

13. Offline

thepenmen22

But like, what would the server be about? Obviously it would use bukkit, but will it be plain survival? Minigames? Some sort of objective? There are tons of bukkit plugins to choose from, and so many different ways to play minecraft. What exactly would be chosen to represent the bukkit community?

14. Offline

gomeow

Thanks for the offer, but if we decide to make it, we have hosting taken care of

15. lol true, i would certainly hope a server software would have good servers for hosting things like minecraft.

16. Offline

Maximvdw

The power of bukkit is that its supported by a large community of developers. So why not make an opensource mega plugin that runs the server.

17. Offline

deltahat

800 posts seems extreme. I would put more emphasis on creating quality plugins over posting a lot, personally.

18. Offline

gomeow

Those were the old requirements, I doubt it would ever be so high if we start this up again

19. Offline

Bobcat00

We could fight over what plugins would be used.

20. Offline

deltahat

I would totally play on a server for plugin authors. We should reboot this idea.

21. Offline

The_Fool76

I think if you do start it up again you should make it 100% plugin free. The only no-plugin bukkit server in existence. ;)

22. Offline

bossomeness

But then that would defeat the point of Bukkit. Lol, your right though, the only Bukkit server without plugins.

I love this idea. I think the server should be mainly survival, but have a few minigames, and maybe a PvP arena, just so there is something for almost everyone.

23. I think it would be cool to have a server for bukkit plugin developers. That would be awesome.

It would be hard deciding what it would be about and what plugins would be on it.

I think restricting it to bukkit plugin developers would be cool, but bukkit would get spammed with super simple plugins just so players can get on... And that wouldn't be good.

But we should organize a server, like, get a team of some managers of the server together and skype, and talk about whats going to happen, what its about, plugins, mods, admins, etc.

24. Offline

gomeow

We shall see...

Hoolean and OneBillionAndOne like this.
  25. Offline

The_Fool76

To be serious for a moment (don't blink) I think the best setup would be to just regularly wipe the world while rotating through 'featured' plugins rather than having one static set. IMO an official Bukkit server should be more about showing off plugins than actually playing the game or building stuff. If we wanted to play long term with a particular set of plugins, well I'm pretty sure most of us have our own servers. ;)

26. Offline

gomeow

The original idea was to have a hangout server, I'd rather it not turn into a plugin showcase.

Hoolean likes this.
  27. Offline

mattrick

gomeow
    That'd be nice just to have a hangout server to go on when you are bored/ for inspiration for plugins. Definitely not a plugin showcase. Also, I don't think you should use any public plugins, it would show favoritism.

28. Yes, a hangout server would be awesome! People could just come on, and we could have like a history section for bukkit, and minigames, a lounge, just chill stuff, and people can talk about stuff, and you could even get help with like developing, or sharing ideas. That would be cool!

29. Offline

The_Fool76

I was mostly just thinking that rotating the plugins would be one way of solving the too many chiefs issue of what to run on the server. (As opposed to just running a bare bones minimal mostly vanilla setup.)

30. Offline

Hoolean

Last time, the plugins were all going to be custom written for the server (although the source code was going to be publicly available) so as to not have developers upset if their plugin was not on the server.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.