No longer supporting the TSLPC (inb4pitchforks)

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by bastion, Feb 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

bastion

No longer supporting the TSLPC (inb4pitchforks) by dinnerbone

change in bukkit build 414 to 415 applied in craftbukkit build 449. Does this stop all plugins with the stupidly long contructor from working anymore?

2. Offline

TheGag96

I think so. SlowHealth broke and so did /time day. D:

3. Offline

jwideman

Yeah, any plugins still using TSLPC will not load. I have a bunch of them too, so I'm not upgrading for a bit.

4. Offline

bastion

Craftbukkit 448 is the last build that allows the stupidly long plugin connector. so it would seem. So no more bug fixes if we wish to actually use the plugins we want.

5. Offline

TnT

More likely the plugin devs will update the plugins. Think positively. :)

6. Offline

bastion

@TnT, my original question which although seems to be answered by tested results, still has not been answered by a definitive authority, positive thinking will get you a long way in life, and I do hope the plugin devs will update their plugins to work with this different system.

As a mod would you please, rather than telling me to be positive, get me an answer to my question, or don't spam up the thread with platitudes and bullshit. I asked a serious question which affects a great many plugins, I would like an answer, if you don't know the answer to the question, why are you posting? Get me an answer and when you have the answer post it. Otherwise, you are wasting my time.

7. Offline

cjc343

It sounds to me like you already know the answer to your question. Why the disrespectful tone?

8. Offline

bastion

Actually sir, I do not know the answer, it would appear the answer is the devs have broken all the plugins with the constructor as of build 449. I do not know that for a fact, as far as disrespect, is it disrespectful to ask a mod or admin to answer the question? I do not need a pep talk from a mod, I need an answer. That's all I need or want an answer, its very simple, or at least I thought it was very simple, it seems however it is not.

9. Offline

Padeius Etoh

10. Offline

bastion

11. Offline

Michael314

Well, hopefully, but "Think pragmatically" would be a better maxim imo.

The change fixed nothing, added nothing and improved nothing. Short of allowing someone to print out the code and frantically tug away at how clean they now think it is (whatever that supposed to mean), I can't see the reason for it. The nag message even said that "nothing is broken"

It just pulled the rug from under our feet. I think I've 6 plugins, of which 4 now don't work. 2 of which look likely to be fixed, the other 2 it looks like I'll have to code new plugins because the authors aren't around (and neither is the source afaict)

A little bit more time to do that, or even a warning that the 'nag' line should have said 'nag the plugin owner because we're going to break it completely asap' would have been appreciated.

Why do I run Craftbukkit? 99.99% of the reason is to let me run the plugins. That's all. Once someone decides the plugins don't matter, there's little point having craftbukkit at all. Maybe someone will write another one with plugins as the focus.

Thing is, I now have bugs in CB I can't move forward with, because of the bug this change creates in the plugins. I either have to fork my own version of CB to let me use the plugins I have, or start writing my own plugins - in the meantime living with the bugs. Not ideal.

I know the world isn't perfect and bugs happen and plugins will always need updating as code is improved and frequently updated - but surely that fact is exactly the reason not to break backward compatibility on a whim.

12. Offline

Plague

Just a small question. Why do you have to update craftbukkit from 440?

13. Offline

jwideman

Probably because some plugin devs (not mentioning any names) built for 450+ instead. It's only a problem because OTHER plugin devs (still not mentioning any names) didn't even fix the TSLPC issue.

14. Offline

Plague

You mean their first 1.3 compatible version was 450+? Because since 440 is the recommended version, that would be pretty lame from them!

15. Offline

jwideman

That, or their 1.3 version introduced bugs and they decided to build against 450 when they fixed them.

16. Offline

Plague

Have you tried running those plugins on 440? From what I read on the release comments there are not that many changes, so it could work.

17. Offline

jwideman

Hmmm... I guess that's something to try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.