NMS No Longer Included?

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by ColonelHedgehog, Nov 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

ColonelHedgehog

Was net.minecraft.server ever packaged with the Bukkit (not CraftBukkit) jar? Was it removed recently due to the take-down?

2. Offline

teej107

It was never included in the Bukkit API. You need to use CraftBukkit to be able to get NMS classes.

3. Offline

ColonelHedgehog

Alrighty, thanks.

4. teej107 likes this.
  5. Offline

Shaggy67

What makes you think so? It's always been included with craftbukkit, and Mojang has never DMCA'd it.

6. Offline

teej107

Shaggy67 CraftBukkit has Bukkit. Bukkit doesn't have CraftBukkit. Bukkit is fine but CraftBukkit contained Wolverness code that he chose to have DMCA'd.
    From Net Minecraft Server to No Minecraft Server

7. Offline

ColonelHedgehog

(Site is all messed up for me right now :confused:)

That's what I was thinking. I thought it was just removed during the Craftbukkit DMCA to keep the peace.

8. Offline

Shaggy67

Bukkit is just the API (list of public method names/arguments).
    Craftbukkit is the implementation of the methods (actual code that does stuff).

Both contain code from Wolvereness. For some bizarre reason, they had different licenses on them. Bukkit (just the API) had a more restrictive license on it, which is what opened the door for Wolvereness to issue the DMCA.

The fact that Bukkit and Craftbukkit are two separate projects in the first place with different licenses on them is really weird. I'm not sure why it was done that way, but I'm late to the bukkit party, I'm sure there's a lot of history behind it.

9. Offline

ColonelHedgehog

I think we're getting a wee bit off topic here.

10. Offline

_Filip

Shaggy67 Looool that is completely incorrect...

11. Offline

RawCode

In two words - Wolvereness wants (and not only him) NMS source code, license and other stuff purely cosmetic.
    Bukkit and CraftBukkit are SAME project.

Shaggy67
    ColonelHedgehog
    NMS never was bundled with Bukkit, but unlike pure API that contains no code and only signatures, Bukkit do have some code bundled, it's is not pure API and can make some stuff without CraftBukkit.

12. Offline

Shaggy67

My bad, sorry. I didn't look over all of the Bukkit code, just parts of it, which appeared to be just signatures/comments. I assumed it was all that way.

Thanks for the clarification.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.