New to plugin development? Adopt an inactive plugin.

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by deltahat, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

deltahat

I've had some changes in my life and can't devote the time I once had to plugin development. I have two plugins that have fallen into the inactive category, but had/have users who like them. If you'd like to take on the maintenance of Cow Paths (1400 downloads) or Higher Skies (650 downloads), let me know.

These are both relatively simple plugins that could serve as a great launch point for learning plugin development. All the code is open source on github. There are even some feature requests in github to help give you some direction, although you can really do whatever you want with them.

Thanks for helping keep plugins people like alive.

2. Offline

xupwup

Another plugin that I would like someone to take over: properTime

3. Offline

jellybellys

I'll take over cow paths if you want.

4. Offline

deltahat

Cow paths is yours! Do you have a github account? I can give you contributor rights to the repo.

5. Offline

jellybellys

my github is jackrosenthal
    this would be my first plugin experience, any tips
    i herd that the eclipse ide is good for plugins, ive been fooling around w/ it.
    thanks, you rock

6. Offline

deltahat

You've been added. Eclipse is great for plugin development. PM me if you have any questions.

7. Offline

jellybellys

I think my main goal for v3 is to update it to 818, anything I should be doing for that?
    Also this may seem like a really stupid question, but: how do I compile all the .java's into a .jar (really new at this, little java experience)
    I already used git to clone the source.

8. Offline

deltahat

right click on the src directory and select export->jar. Follow the wizard.

9. Offline

jellybellys

Tried compiling, now im getting that it cant start. Is it because of bukkit 818?
    Code:
    [SEVERE] Could not load 'plugins\CowPaths.jar' in folder 'plugins':
    java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.ryanmichela.cowpaths.plugin.CowPaths
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
        at org.bukkit.plugin.java.PluginClassLoader.findClass(PluginClassLoader.java:36)
        at org.bukkit.plugin.java.PluginClassLoader.findClass(PluginClassLoader.java:24)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
        at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)
        at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader.loadPlugin(JavaPluginLoader.java:167)
        at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.loadPlugin(SimplePluginManager.java:194)
        at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.loadPlugins(SimplePluginManager.java:117)
        at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.loadPlugins(CraftServer.java:109)
        at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.reload(CraftServer.java:345)
        at org.bukkit.command.SimpleCommandMap$ReloadCommand.execute(SimpleCommandMap.java:247)
        at org.bukkit.command.SimpleCommandMap.dispatch(SimpleCommandMap.java:128)
        at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.dispatchCommand(CraftServer.java:279)
        at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.b(MinecraftServer.java:428)
        at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.h(MinecraftServer.java:413)
        at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:309)
        at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:422)

10. Offline

deltahat

I think you forgot to include the plugin.yml file in the .jar you exported. There should be a checkbox where you select additional files to include while building a .jar.

11. Offline

jellybellys

It's definitaly in there, just checked. The files in there are the source (.java) files, not classes. The other thing is that there is a META-INF folder in there.

12. Offline

deltahat

It should have compiled it for you and put the .class files into the .jar file. Google around for compiling a .jar using Eclipse.

13. Offline

compgurusteve

Can't wait to see the release :) If you need any testing I'd be happy to help you.

14. Offline

OMARATION I steal plugins as my own

15. May i take over proper time as the server that I dev for uses it ( although I would onl6 keep it up to date with the most recent bukkit

16. Offline

Taco

I have an old plugin called BukkitOfBlocks, which was supposed to be what plugins like DropControl (I think that's the right name) are today. Anyone who wants to build on it and/or take it over, be my guest.

Source can be found here: Click me

Original thread here: Click me

There's probably not much use in reviving it, but the source can be used to learn from.

17. Offline

xupwup

The users want new features, and I do not want to spend time implementing them. So, I need someone who will do more than just keeping things up to date.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.