New Server Hoster Here - Please help. [In-Progress]

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Kirbyarm, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Kirbyarm

Hello everyone, I'm Mackenzie.. I just recently wasted spent $50 for a month's worth of server hosting..

They use McMyAdmin, and to no surprise it does not allow the use of PEX plugin whatsoever.

I plan to host an offline-mode server to get my traffic and reputation up, so xAuth was the first plugin I installed. Got it all setup and working with MySQL.. so that's great and all.

For the past 48 hours (now going on day 5 with 40+ people waiting to join my new server) I have been struggling with permissions. As any server hoster should know.. it is VITAL to have permissions on your server and have it working correctly.

Since PEX doesn't work.. I asked all those waiting people, as well as technical support staff from my hoster and another hoster.. to no avail. Best I got was "PEX doesn't work with McMyAdmin" "That's a plugin issue, not a server issue, sorry." and "Use PermissionsBukkit for McMyAdmin... and it's VERY glitchy."

So.. I downloaded these two plugins.

[ADMN/DEV] PermissionsBukkit v1.2k - Official Default Groups Plugin [1240]

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/ad...-groups-plugin-1240.26785/page-74#post-811480

[CHAT] Simple Prefix v1.1 - Easy prefixes & API (PermissionsBukkit)[1185]

http://forums.bukkit.org/posts/813965/

First thing I notice... they are not [1337] which I'm pretty sure is the CraftBukkit almost everyone is using until some great release with CB and plugins are stable for supporting delta 1.0.

I also wanted prefixes and suffixes to make the name appear in color and look nice in accordance to what group the user is in. It sounds really simple, but it turns out it's not.

These are the CONSOLE messages I'm getting currently when I start the server:

CONSOLE: This server is running Craftbukkit version git-Bukkit-0.0.0-1131-g86b7fa8-b1337jnks (MC: 1.8.1)
    CONSOLE: Default game type: 0
    CONSOLE: McMyAdmin Compatibility Plugin version r16B started.
    Simple: Prefix v1.2] Configuration Loaded.
    Simple: Prefix v1.2] Plugin enabled!
    xAuth: 'Permissions' not detected, using Bukkit Superperms
    xAuth: Connection to database established!
    xAuth: Accounts: 3, Sessions: 3
    xAuth: v2.0b4.3 Enabled!
    CONSOLE: Server permissions file permissions.yml is empty, ignoring it
    CONSOLE: New max size: 484
    CONSOLE: New max size: 784

This appears that it doesn't even know what PermissionsBukkit is... however I was getting a different message before, showing all plugins at least enabling in the console. I set permissions.build: false to test it and see if it disallows placing/destroying. I tested the pre-fixes plugin. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.. here are my config files (I duplicated both of these config.yml and so each config folder has config.yml and permissions.yml because I figured maybe the file needs to be permissions.yml)

groups:
    prisoner:
    permissions:
    xauth.register: true
    permissions.build: false
    citizen:
    default: true
    permissions:
    permissions.build: false
    xauth.register: false
    builder:
    permissions:
    permissions.build: true
    inheritance:
    - citizen
    achiever:
    permissions:
    inheritance:
    -builder
    vip:
    permissions:
    inheritance:
    -achiever
    knight:
    permissions:
    inheritance:
    -vip
    officer:
    permissions:
    inheritance:
    -knight
    moderator:
    permissions:
    inheritance:
    -officer
    demigod:
    permissions:
    inheritance:
    administrator:
    permissions:
    xauth.admin.register: true
    xauth.admin.changepw: true
    xauth.admin.logout: true
    xauth.admin.unregister: true
    xauth.admin.location: true
    xauth.admin.config: true
    xauth.admin.reload: true
    inheritance:
    -demigod
    owner:
    permissions:
    permissions.*: true
    inheritance:
    -administrator

And

Template:
    format: '<[prefix][name][suffix]> '
    Group:
    prisoner:
    prefix: '&6[-]&f'
    suffix: ''
    citizen:
    prefix: '&6[+]&f'
    suffix: &d
    builder:
    prefix: '&6[++]&f'
    suffix: &6
    achiever:
    prefix: '&6[Member]&f'
    vip:
    knight:
    officer:
    moderator:
    demigod:
    administrator:
    owner:
    Server:
    register: true
    ------

I really don't understand what I'm doing wrong but this is so frustrating! I really need a working permissions with McMyAdmin with CB 1337 (1.8.1 server). I'm willing to give Skype info or anything for someone to help me go through.. getting pretty desperate here. Any help, advice or replies would be greatly appreciated.

2. Offline

Karlkorv

Hmm, what Exact errors do you get with PEX (because it's the one you should use) and you don't need to use permissions via mcmyadmin, you can do it through SFTP hope I helped

3. Offline

RROD

That isn't an error. The plugin hasn't really been updated since build 1000. The only thing that got added was new config. But anyway this shouldn't affect it.

Also when I'm buying servers, I've learnt to setup a testing server on my home PC first. When I do buy them I go for a VPS or a dedi

4. Offline

Kirbyarm

@Karlkorv: McMyAdmin is the console control panel my hoster is forcing me to use..

I am sorry, I don't know what SFTP is. :(

@RROD: Exactly.. not an error. So why wouldn't it be working then? If there is any other information I can provide to help you help me troubleshoot, please ask. I'm pretty newb at this, but I have been admin of my friend's high-traffic server for two months and I have a full understanding of what permissions are for. PEX is just incompatible with McMyAdmin period, otherwise I'd be using it as it works like a charm on my friend's server. No idea how to get PermissionsBukkit working properly.

Apologies for double posting.. but I finally got it working.. no one told me I needed this "superbridge" plugin to go in sync with it.. but now I'm having several other problems.

Problem #1:
    It seems any node that I don't manually add to each group.. is set to true by default. This is a big problem.. as it will cost me at least ten hours of extra work and typing (my server will have 11 groups, with quite a bit of flexibility if you prove yourself to be trustworthy and not a griefer etc). Is there any way around this?

Problem #2:
    Parent nodes.. using the root permissions.yml? I don't understand how this works at all.. could anyone please help me understand it? The config/install guides are horribly written for server hosting newbs like me.

Problem #3:
    "default" group. I don't wish the default group to be called default.. it's very unprofessional looking. How can I rename the group and still make it the default group all users join when newly joining to the server?

Problem #4:
    Multiple groups. I only have "default, admin, and user" as the three default groups. I'm afraid to change anything this time because I only seem to screw everything up when I do.. I know the plugin is working because I tested falsifying permissions.build to default & user and the test worked.. I couldn't break or build. How can I make multiple groups and similarly to problem three, set the default group of my choosing?

Any help with these four issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Kenzie.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2016
  5. Offline

saul100

For no. 3
    An an example permissions file for the default group
    Code:
    Default:
            default: true
            info:
                prefix: ''
                build: true
            inheritance:
            permissions:
                - 'essentials.help'
                - 'essentials.home'
                - 'essentials.motd'
                - 'essentials.rules'
                - 'essentials.sethome'
    Notice it has default: true.
    The rest will have default: false

It is always dependent on which plugin you use, but I believe it works the same on all.

6. Offline

Thomas1907

Also , if the group would be named Defaut, you wont see, only in the config, and the pre/suffix would be Demigod or anything.
    i got my own problem too , multiple default groups in Pex wont work :S

7. Offline

Kirbyarm

I switched over to Permissions 3.1.2 and everything seems to work just the way I want it to except prefix/suffixes.

8. Offline

PhonicUK

FYI - Nothing is stopping you using Permissions plugins that MCMA doesn't support. It just means you can't use its UI to edit them and you'd have to do it by hand instead.

But support for PEX and bPermissions is currently being worked on for MCMA2 :)

9. Offline

Karlkorv

Wait, do you host the server on your computer or have you bought one?

EDIT: that was a stupid question, but if you don't use SFTP how do you install plugins then?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2016
  10. Offline

Kirbyarm

I know what FTP is, but not SFTP.. hehe.

Sorry about the huge delay in replying to this thread, hopefully that was enough of a giveaway that I have resolved the issue for the most part.

I have tried and used Permissions 3.1.6, PEX, bPermissions, and PermissionsBukkit, all of which are not compatible with the plugin setup I have in place. I'm now using GroupManager and it works beautiful. Seems to be the most compatible permissions for all plugins that I use, thanks to its bridge component.

I guess if I had any problems I could really use help with it's coding. There are certain plugins that I want to tweak to be customized for my growing, up and coming server. I've tried so many things to adjust what I want, but the best I can do is edit text that is displayed when say.. a command is executed in-game. That's a simple string replacement in the class/java files.

If any coder out there wants to help out this poor girl, please message me or reply here.

Mackenzie~

11. Offline

Daniel Heppner

Just to let you know, GroupManager is coded very poorly. It'll eat up ram and might even conflict with other plugins. The new owner of it admitted it himself. I suggest using bPermissions, you just can't use MCMA's web gui. You have to use FTP.
    Good luck.

12. Offline

Kirbyarm

Thank you but PEX and bPermissions weren't working at all.

I'm told it's MCMA. The permissions nodes just do not work whatsoever, even when correctly formatted in yml. I've been 'configuring' this server for almost 28 days now, and have quite an understand of permissions systems. GM seems to be working with the setup I have. When we update to 1.0.0 in a couple months, we'll then look into the new things like permissions system. Until then, waiting for recommended build and the majority of our plugins to be compatible with 1.0.0/1.0.1

13. Offline

Arubian

ah witch server host you use?

14. Offline

codename_B

Just so you know I'm redesigning bPerms at this moment in time and there is currently NO json perms.

This will change soon enough.

15. Offline

Daniel Heppner

Some of your code is kind of ugly. (a class for getting a player?)
    You should clean it up. :p

16. Offline

Kirbyarm

I agree with Daniel, but I do admire the pristine functionality bPerms promises, it just doesn't work for me.

@Arubian: Fluctis

17. Offline

Daniel Heppner

I kind of feel like developing a plugin. This is going to be completely random, but would you like for me to develop a plugin for your server? (pm me)

Kirbyarm likes this.
  18. Offline

Kirbyarm

Heck yes, I do! *PMs* Hehe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.