MySQL Questions.

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by xigsag, Oct 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

xigsag

Alright, so I've finally come to this point of my coding experience where I want to deal with MySQL.
    Gonna ask some questions here, would appreciate it if they were to be answered.

- Do I require a MySQL database (online, or self-hosted) ?
    - Is there a way to host it on the same address as the minecraft server I am running it on?

2. Offline

maxben34

Funny, I pretty much have the same exact question as you lol. I do believe the answer to question 1 is YES.

Question 2 I don't know.

I could be wrong though since I'm just working into MySQL now as well ;)

3. Offline

xigsag

maxben34 I see. Do let me know if you find out anything, and thanks for sharing.

Still looking for an answer for question 2 though, since if it IS possible, I wouldn't have to rely on an online host, and can be an independant plugin.
    Reason for this, is because I prefer the MySQL's interface, which has more of a data storage feel to it, rather than Bukkit's built in FileConfiguration and its line-by-line config-y interface.
    I just find the queries much easier to execute.

4. Offline

MineDoubleSpace

1) Yes.
    2) Yes.

5. Offline

xigsag

6. xigsag
    I might be wrong, but I think you just put the host and password as localhost

7. Offline

xigsag

8. It seems to be correct, since you want it to be on your local machine you should set it to connect to your local machine.

9. Offline

MineDoubleSpace

xigsag You have to host a MySQL database.

10. Offline

1Rogue

As MineDoubleSpace stated, you need to be hosting one to do so. SQLite is easier in the sense that it is all flat file for the sake of a little less functionality (though with minecraft, that's not really any loss at all).

As for running MySQL locally, for windows it would be:
    http://www.mysql.com/why-mysql/windows/

11. Offline

xigsag

1Rogue I see. I guess I'll check out SQLite then. Well, I got the point that I needed an already hosted database from the second/third reply. Though, I was unsure if I could host the database on the server machine that runs the server on, instead of using one of those websites for free database hosting.

Of course, MineDoubleSpace had to tell me a second time that I needed to host a MySQL database.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.