My server is under attack

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Welite, Jan 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Welite

Hi, last week I have problems with hackers, someone is trying to shutdown my server. When the attack starts there are 100 players per second trying to join my server, the problem is that the nicks of this bots are stolen nicks of real players and all of this nicks were registered like a normal players.

I dont know what to do, my server every-time crash because it cannot handle 100 connections per second. When the attack start I see only this message in console:

Code:
    [10:46:15] [Server thread/INFO]: Disconnecting GameProfile{): §fThe same nick is already playing
    [10:46:15] [Server thread/INFO]: Disconnecting GameProfile{): §fThe same nick is already playing

I have tried to code some plugins to block more then 1 connection from 1 IP per second but without success because then the hacker comes with even more IPs and nicks.

The attack is about 2 Mbps strong so it is not a heavy attack, the problem is that bukkit server cannot handle too many connections attempts. We also have DDoS protection but it bypass because everything of this is happening in bukkit server and the connections are not even visible in firewall because everything is in bukkit connection.

I have searched internet if there are some hacks that can cause this, but I havent found nothing.

Can anybody help me please ? This stupid hacker is destroying our community and I am hard loosing average players online. There must be way how to stop this I could code some plugin or program to stop this, but I dont know where to stop him because I have not found the way he is doing this.

Mod Edit: Removed name and IP.

2. Offline

Dirtman

Hi I would try shutting down the server for 3 days for "maintenance" and hope the hacker will get bored and move on.

3. Offline

Welite

That is not solution, I cannot stop my server...I need to find way how he is doing this and block it.

4. Offline

TnT

Have you tried setting the connection throttle to a lower value in the bukkit.yml?

Default:
    connection-throttle: 4000

Welite Can you PM me a full log please?

5. Offline

Bobcat00

NoCheatPlus has a setting for limiting the number of simultaneous logins.
    https://github.com/asofold/NCPDocs/blob/master/wiki/configuration/checks/chat/chat.creole
    and scroll all the way to the bottom.

Looks like you need build 2996 for the connection throttle:
    http://dl.bukkit.org/downloads/craftbukkit/view/02499_1.7.2-R0.3/

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  6. Offline

TnT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.