My RAM for my server will not increase! Help!!

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by ONI Ricky, Apr 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

ONI Ricky

Hi there, I host my own bukkit server and all has been going well. Except for one thing, no matter what I try my server's ram won't go up! We have been gaining many new members everyday and We need more ram to support the influx of players! I can spare about 3-4gbs more ram for the server only if it would let me add some.
    Here is my current start script:
    java -Xincgc -Xmx3072m -server -jar bukkitcraft.jar
    I have tried a lot of other scripts, and none seem to work either. Not that my server won't start, just that when I do ./mem the allocated/maximum memory never changes!

Any help is much appreciated! :)

2. Offline

JWhy

Do you have a 64bit java actually?

3. Offline

afistofirony

Like JWhy said, you need a 64-bit installation of Java to exceed 1 GB of RAM. Make sure you have a 64-bit installation ;)

4. Offline

PapiDimmi

Like JWhy and afistofirony said, you need to have Javaa 64-bit to exceed more than 1 GB of RAM. Make sure you don't have 32-bit, but 64-bit. Also, if you have 32-bit, uninstall it and install 64-bit.

Java 64-bit download: http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=76862
    How to uninstall programs on Windows: <Edit by Moderator: Redacted bit url>

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2017
  5. Offline

ONI Ricky

I am pretty sure that I have 64 bit. I will uninstall them all though and re-download the 64 bit I guess :\

Ok so I installed the java you gave me, but it still doesn't work. Can someone give me a java script that starts my server up with max of 3 gigs and a min of 2?
    Also, is there a place where I can see what java I am running?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2016
  6. Offline

seatosky

I use this script for start-up.

I change my ram usage in that script. So just multiple the first one by 2, to get 2 gigs and the second one by 3 to get 3 gigs. I change it like that and my RAM magically increases.

7. Offline

Hoolean

ONI Ricky

Do java -version on the console to see what version of Java you're running.

Also, do you get an error when trying to start with more RAM?

8. Offline

jacklin213

java -Xms2048M -Xmx3072M -server -jar craftbukkit.jar

9. Offline

ONI Ricky

No, I don't get an error when I start with more RAM, it just doesn't add the RAM. And that command you gave me didn't work...

10. Offline

jacklin213

what error message did u get?

11. Offline

ONI Ricky

I said I didnt get an error message, just when I do ./mem it still says I am running at like 981mbs...

12. Offline

jacklin213

When u start the server up it should tell you how much ram it starts on.

And what does the /mem say (In full)

13. Offline

Hoolean

ONI Ricky

Are you sure the /mem command is not just telling you how much memory your server is using?

14. Offline

ONI Ricky

15. Offline

astroskillz

It might've allocated 3GB. I'd suggest looking into the task manager/process page (Or whatever you are using to see what is running). On my old host I payed for 4GB, and it showed about 1GB up to the point where it would need more and it went to more automatically (Though I'm not sure if that's the issue here).

16. Offline

ONI Ricky

Ok well even bigger problem now, every time I restart the server, the allocated/max memory goes down D:
    I need help guys it is at the point where the server can't even be up!

17. Offline

jacklin213

Thats because 1 ) You either dont have 64 bit version of java Installed correctly because its only allocating 1GB Mem to your server 2) Your computer might not be able to create a VM using 2GB

18. Offline

ONI Ricky

I have 8Gbs of RAM, and how do I check if I have the right java?

19. Offline

jacklin213

In CMD : java -version

20. Offline

ONI Ricky

It says my java options is set at 1g! D: How do I change this?

21. Offline

Mayor_Mike

It would really help to know what OS you are running. Windows based? Mac OSX based? Linux based? (if linux, which distro)

22. Offline

ONI Ricky

Windows, sir.

23. Offline

gabessdsp

I read through and didn't see this yet, my apologies if I missed it. Go through and uninstall all java version that exist on your computer. Then download and install java 7 x86 and x64 which can be found here:
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk7-downloads-1880260.html(they are found at the bottom)

then by running this script:

it should start the server with 1GB of RAM, and allow it to use 3GB of RAM

24. Offline

ONI Ricky

Ok well, apparently it is using more RAM it just isn't showing that it is... Or something along those lines. But anyway, thanks for helping guys! :D

25. try this as your startup script:
    Code:
    @ECHO OFF
    SET BINDIR=%~dp0
    CD /D "%BINDIR%"
    :start
    color 7
    cls
    "C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe" -Xms1G -Xmx3G -jar craftbukkit.jar
    color 2
    cls
    echo.
    echo STOPPED! CLOSE NOW TO STOP FULLY!
    ping 1.1.1.1 -w 5 >NUL
    ping 2.2.2.2 -w 5 >NUL
    goto start
    this forces it to use 64 bit java if its installed and shows "STOPPED! CLOSE NOW TO STOP FULLY!" on the screen after you do a /stop and waits a few seconds before restarting the server, so you can do a full server restart without leaving the game.
    if it goes straight to showing "STOPPED! CLOSE NOW TO STOP FULLY!" on the screen, you dont have java 64 bit installed.

26. Offline

ONI Ricky

I did that, apparently I am not running java 64 bit. I have already uninstalled all of my java and re downloaded java 64 bit. I don't know what to do if this isn't working! Help?!

27. use use the same script i posted above. it will force the use of java x64 like i said. one you install it (java x64), all should work fine.

28. Offline

ONI Ricky

I tried your script and every time I start it all that happens is "STOPPED! CLOSE NOW TO STOP FULLY!" pops up. I tried your script then ran my regular one and it still refuses to use more RAM. I have uninstalled all of my java and re downloaded 64 bit javas multiple times! Any suggestions?

29. in your start menu, hover over "computer", right click and choose properties.
    in the resulting window under system, tell us what it says next to "system type" it should say 64-bit operating system. if it doesn't, that's your problem

30. Offline

lokpique

um... 1.5 gig... not 1 gig. 32-bit has enough address sizing for 1.5GB of ram.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.