Question Multiverse server using too many resources in 1.13

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by captainmullet, Feb 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

captainmullet

Hello folks,

tl;dr - hosting a multiverse server uses too much system resources upgrading from 1.12 to 1.13, looking into bungeecord (or similar) solution to keep all attached worlds accessible with semi-vanilla feel.

So, I've been playing minecraft for the better part of eight or nine years. My friends and I hopped in sometime during 2010; some keep playing, some left and returned, and new people have joined along the way. I've been running the servers since day one, and as minecraft was updated we didn't want to lose all of our creations. Enter MultiVerse - I've been running multiverse for a good while now, and with every new patch I'd spin up a new world. Eventually, I decided to build one big 'warpzone' world (complete with green wool pipes) that could warp people to different locations within each of the worlds (ending up at a pipe-house a-la Super Mario RPG). That being said, I kept the server as vanilla as I could, running only Multiverse (Core, Portals, and Netherportals), MultiInv (tracking inventory across worlds),and Replicator (to create noob-chests that would refill with starter items for new people). As of this writing, the server is running 1.12 without issue containing 48 different worlds (15 worlds and their own nether/end, and one creative).

Now - when I updated to 1.13, everything came crashing down. I think with this new update, there is a lot more overhead per-world, and as a result I get the 'skipped ticks' constantly. With more than two people on, blocks respawn and frames are skipped. I'll also say that the machine I'm running this on is not the issue - the minecraft server (and attached worlds) are running on a RAMDISK and I have CPU cores and additional RAM to spare. The heart of it is (I think) that a single Minecraft Server java machine isn't multithreaded, and I've reached the limit of what a single core can handle.

So - I looked around for options. It seems like BungeeCord would presumably offer what I want - I could run multiple minecraft server instances (six to twelve worlds per each) and use bungeecord to link all of them to a central hub world. This would be similar to what I have now, except I would need to implement some sort of inventory tracking. I could point all the servers to the same playerdata folder, or there is at least one MySQL inventory management mod I could grab. However, I'm not familiar with BungeeCord. Can I create portals akin to the ones from Multiverse-Portals (walk into a zone created by the mod, transfer to other zone) to transfer server to server? If someone logs out in a server linked by BungeeCord, and then logs in again, do they reappear at the lobby world? Or do they reappear where they logged out in the linked server?

I've actually got a Bungeecord instance up and running, and it's linked to five local Minecraft servers, but I've not had any luck finding a good way to transfer between them. It seems like there are mods that would let me type in a command to warp around, but that would take some of the vanilla away from the server - I could just warp anywhere anytime. Falling to my death in the end wouldn't be so bad if I could just warp away really fast.

Has anyone attempted to do something like this? Or do I just need to stop being such a digital hoarder and cut my old worlds loose?

Attached Files:

2. Offline

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

@captainmullet Bungeecord is not supported by Bukkit, keep that in mind.

3. Offline

captainmullet

Absolutely - I am guilty of some copy/paste here, as I have asked this in another forum. I knew this wasn't perhaps the best place for help with bungee, but if anyone had found themselves in a situation similar to mine and worked their way out, I would be interested to hear what their solution was.

Thank you for your reply!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.