[MISC] CraftProxy 0.2.0 - Reduce bandwidth use by caching chunk data [1.6]

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Releases' started by Raphfrk, May 1, 2011.

1. Offline

Raphfrk

CraftProxy - Reduce bandwidth use by caching chunk data
    Version: 0.2.0

Description

This plugin and local client allows chunk data to be cached locally by players. This reduces the bandwidth required for hosting the server. It also helps users who are on slower connections.

I am not sure what the status of this system is. It doesn't count as a plugin, since it has 2 parts.

Even when running the plugin, players who don't use the client proxy can still connect. However, they will use the full bandwidth.

The system can reduce bandwidth by 70-90% (after the 2nd login).

Setup

Server

Add the plugin file to the plugins folder

Client

Start minecraft client and login
    Double click on the client jar file
    Enter login details
    Enter the server location/port in the GUI
    Press start on the GUI
    Connect to localhost on the minecraft client

Stable Builds

None yet

Dev Builds

Warning: These may not be stable

Client
    Plugin

Had it get the compress/decompression gain backwards.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2016
    Jushy, Martin1704, Nathan C and 24 others like this.
  2. Offline

ledhead900

Yea I though you know about th OS its common for any jar on windows tho im used to it so I did that right away by using my bukkit Start batch file just modified it for the single jar with out any and commnds related to it.

Have you found anything new about the Packed Id issue its poping up still Im getting my reports of it but my players say its better that randomly then constant random lag.

3. Offline

Pim1234

seems to be solved :)
    but if i stop using hamachi, will the connection become more stable and will the less legal part of my friends still be able to join?

4. Offline

MineMac

Yes they will. You need a dynamic ip service like noip or dyndns (just google). There you download a little tool wich updates their servers with your ip (most routers can also do that).
    Open your routerconfig and configure it to forward your minecraft port (std: tcp 25565) to your servers internal ip.
    After setting it up your server is reachable under (example:) blabla.dyndns.org.
    Make sure your minecraft server.properties has verify-names=false set.

(Edit: you should use a whitelist or authservice to control who can and who can't join)

That should be it.

5. Offline

Raphfrk

The function should still work.

In theory, you are supposed to stop the proxy using the end command. This does a clean shutdown and saves the reconnect file.

For Server Port, you probably dont want bridge connection.

6. Offline

ledhead900

@Raphfrk

Got player now who can't stay on for more then 10s with out a random "bad packet ID" error or MC crash other players get frequent bad packets as well just not as bad.

7. Offline

Vlyn91

Tried it out:
    a) I think your "compression %" are false. When I jump to a new area it's still 20-30%, there is nothing loaded now! There can't be compression!
    b) I'm getting lag with it. Players complain about huge lags, I get small lags when I run around (CPU @ 4x4,7 GHZ, your Cache Files on a Ramdisk with 2800 MB/s, ...)

I think I'll delete it again, got a traffic flat for my server and just for saving bandwidth it's not worth it :( (Atleast the chunks load a _little_ bit faster)

8. I'm on an other computer but I can't log with localhost and I don't know why : Unable to connect to backend server.
    and I can't find the Proxy.txt i don't have it !

9. Offline

Raphfrk

I am thinking the issue might be that I don't do packet prioritisation. Notch's servers give some packets higher priority than others.

That would explain why there is latency.

It could be -20% ? When you go to a new area, the bandwidth usage goes up as it has to exchange hashes with the server.

Well that's the point, the idea is for people who have a shortage of bandwidth.

If you have loads of bandwidth, then it won't help much (could help your players speed).

It does use CPU though.

It should be in /plugins/CraftProxyLite/proxylite.txt

10. Why in Plugins folder ? on that computer there is no Server with bukkit so no Plugin folder , I downloaded it in my Download Folder and stil nothing ( no proxylite.txt )

EDIT: the server is running with a router ! My is IP:minecraftquebec.no-ip.org ( the server is running and no whitelist you can try to connect Raphfrk

11. Offline

Raphfrk

Ahh, I see. In stand alone mode there is no proxylite.txt file.

You add the parameters you want to the command line.

The default server is the 2nd number.

java -jar 20000 <default-server>

You may need to change it to

java -jar 20000 minecraftquebec.no-ip.org:25565 bridge_connection

or if you are behind a router

java -jar 20000 192.168.1.2:25565 bridge_connection

192.168.1.2 would be replaced with your IP

12. The command line ? What is that , Is it the GUI? According to my IP:minecraftquebec.no-ip.org ) what should my GUIsettings would look like ? Thanks for all your help

13. Offline

Raphfrk

Ahh, ok, so you are running the plugin on the server.

is the issue that you can't connect when on the same computer as the server, but can connect otherwise?

14. I'm on my friend's computer , the server is running your plugin ( on the same computer ) but now I'm not on the same computer and I can't connect to the server. When I play on my computer ( same as the server ) I can connect but now , i don't know why . And I don't know what should the GUI settings look like

15. Offline

Vlyn91

It's +20%, I also saw a -, but not in this case, it was +.

And it lags even on my CPU, that's just awful! How can it lag with 4,7 GHZ per Core? It was unplayable on the pcs of my players (2x2,6 ghz, 4x2,4 ghz, 4x2,6 ghz, ...). And I get lags of maybe 1/4 to 1/2 a second sometimes with it.

16. Offline

Raphfrk

Are you forwarding port 20000 to your server? I can't open a connection at all to minecraftquebec.no-ip.org:20000

Are you using the latest version? Is this lag all the time or just for 1 minute after you login?

Well, it may have had some stuff in the cache. For example, sky blocks would be repeated. Also, the percentage is for the entire connection, so maybe some of the chunks were known ones.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

17. Offline

Vlyn91

The latest version? I just downloaded it 60 minutes ago and tried it out.

The lag is the whole time, even when all chunks are loaded. It's a short lag every... 2-4? seconds. It really doesn't feel good. Without the plugin lag = 0, but chunks load slower.

18. Offline

ledhead900

@Raphfrk
    Any fix attempt comming 2moro or later on today/2night?
    Happy to test for you.

Apparently as well some people got a random DC with String error and this "proxy closed sent by server instead of application?"

19. Offline

Raphfrk

Not sure, I might try to connect to your server again. If it kicked me, then at least I could see what was going on (maybe).

20. Offline

ledhead900

clientversion=
    bridge_connection=true
    reconnectfile=
    monitor=
    seed=
    cache_limit=
    default_server=10.0.0.25:7767
    quiet=true
    debug=false
    listen_hostname_port=20000
    password=
    auth_off=false
    log=true
    banned=
    info=false
    dimension=
    staticlocalhost=true
    disable_flood=true

21. Offline

Pim1234

what do i do wrong?
    i fill in my proxylite.txt pimsserver.dyndns.org:25565
    Schermafbeelding 2011-05-08 om 21.17.37.png but than i get this Schermafbeelding 2011-05-08 om 21.18.25.png
    what should i do?

22. Offline

Raphfrk

Can you post the server logs. It is likely that the proxy can't connect to the Bukkit server.

23. WoW ... I can't portforward that port:20000
    Error with PFPortchecker : Your port is NOT OPEN or not reachable !
    Router : Trend Net TEW-652BRP

Now not even 1 port is open 0_O Not even my Minecraft Port 25565 , How is that possible , my friends were playing on it , 6 days ago ....

EDIT: AFTER a Router reset

24. Offline

Simanova

Running CraftProxy now as standalone on cb #764.
    Now i can /reload while gaming! great !!

25. Offline

Pim1234

my server log doesn't say anything about me logging in, i probably made a mistake filling everything in...
    where exactly should i put my dynamic ip and where should i put my normal ip? and should i put the port (25565) behind my dynamic ip? and again where and where not?

26. Offline

Raphfrk

@Pim1234 and others,

I have uploaded another version. This should hopefully prevent the disconnects.

27. Works fine ( my friends can log ) but there is a couple errors like
    GRAVE ( critical ) Execption in Thread ''Thread-20''
    GRAVE java.lang.NullPointerExecption
    GRAVE At com.raphfrk.craftproxylite.passthroughConnection.run<passthroughConnection.java:327>
    and many other with Thread-20-29-39 and much more ...
    Kicking me and my friends for Connection closed by proxy
    CraftProxyLite : I can't read the % its like if you write 10 words on 1 word . Its unreadable .
    and Current MB size is always very High and when it reach the max it kicked me
    Finally isnt there a way to keep the map loaded ? Because when I log I always have to reload the map ='(

EDIT: No more Errors with the last version , Please update the title ^^
    Still the % reduction error

28. Offline

Pim1234

but do i fill it in right if i fill in my dynamic ip everywhere i see my hamachi ip??
    and the port should always be behind my dnamic ip?

29. Offline

Raphfrk

So, works now, the null pointer exceptions are gone?

The FAQ explains how to do it in the various situations.

"What does "replace with <local-ip of server>:25565" mean"

30. Offline

-soL-

hello,

this plugin is very nice for players like me with a low connection and i like it really. But i can't use it because of truckload of issues and server drops. For the first hour play it works pretty fine, but after this it starts raining failures. Most of them are the here known bad packet id issues. But sometimes it kicks me with issues like: "proxy closed the connection" or "internal exception: java.io.IOException: Received string length longer than maximum allowed (251 > 32) or (29696>119) or some other numbers"

All the issues start at the same time the bad packet id issues start.

I've installed the newest version(55 from today) on server and on client. I even deleted all related to the old versions. the loaded data too, so the plugin had to load them all again.

So if i delete the loaded data it will work again for about an hour. but after this it starts the issues again.

Also the first few drops came every 3 minutes......but after about 5-6 issues it drops me as soon i connect again and try to make a step or look around. It gets unplayable.

EDIT:

found this in the serverlog:

10:54:31 [SEVERE] java.io.IOException: Bad packet id 86
    10:54:31 [INFO] CRITICAL ERROR unknown packet id: 86
    >
    >
    10:54:31 [SEVERE] at net.minecraft.server.Packet.a(Packet.java:78)
    10:54:31 [INFO] [10:54:31 AM] <my ip here>/50966 (soL): Uplink Previous packets (Oldest -> Newest): 18, 11, 11, 11, 11, 14, 11, 18, 14, 11, 13, 11, 11, 11, 11, 11, 11, 11, 13, 86
    >
    >
    10:54:31 [SEVERE] at net.minecraft.server.NetworkManager.f(NetworkManager.java:127)
    >
    10:54:31 [SEVERE] at net.minecraft.server.NetworkManager.c(NetworkManager.java:226)
    >
    10:54:31 [SEVERE] at net.minecraft.server.NetworkReaderThread.run(SourceFile:69)
    >
    10:54:31 [INFO] [10:54:31 AM] <my ip here>/50966 (soL): Closing connection to server
    >
    10:54:31 [INFO] [10:54:31 AM] <my ip here>/50966 (soL): Closing connection to client
    >
    10:54:31 [INFO] soL lost connection: disconnect.genericReason

proxylite.txt:
    clientversion=
    bridge_connection=true
    reconnectfile=
    monitor=
    seed=1499515019
    cache_limit=
    default_server= <server ip here>:14411
    quiet=true
    debug=false
    listen_hostname_port=20000
    password=
    auth_off=false
    log=
    banned=
    info=false
    dimension=
    staticlocalhost=true
    disable_flood=false

craftproxylitegui.txt

cache_size=1000
    connect_hostname= <server ip here>
    listen_port=14411
    connect_port=20000

server.properties:

#Minecraft server properties
    #Tue May 03 14:16:30 CEST 2011
    level-name=s1ck
    disalloweditems=
    allow-flight=false
    server-port=14411
    group-txt-location=groups.txt
    reservelist.txt-location=reservelist.txt
    hellworld=false
    level-seed=1499515019
    natural-animals=
    server-ip= <serverip here>
    save-interval=900
    natural-spawn-rate=2
    auto-heal=false
    white-list=false
    spawn-animals=true
    online-mode=false
    auto-download-updates=true
    pvp=false
    show-unknown-command=true
    admintxtlocation=ops.txt
    server-name=Minecraftserver by Mc-Host.de
    natural-wateranimals=Squid
    max-players=6
    spawn-monsters=true
    spawn-protection=16
    motd=HI @

31. Offline

Raphfrk

Hmm, is the server running on a distant server?

I wonder if there is a problem with uploading the new hashes.