Minecraft modding API

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by Qentus, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Qentus

So, I am a minecraft server admin and I just heard about a release date of Minecraft MOD API.

What will happen to Bukkit?
    What will happen to Bukkit plugins?
    Will there be any bridge for bukkit plugins not rewrited for MOD API?

Thanks for answers

2. Offline

chakyl

Well first of all, there is no release date. Everything that has been said so far is based on rumors and speculation.
    Second of all, when the API is released, it probably won't be very good, and Bukkit will still be developed until the API is somewhat decent.

3. Offline

minecrafterwork I steal plugins as my own

4. Offline

TnT

5. Offline

rustymetal

jtjj222 likes this.
  6. Offline

Noxis

According to what EvilSeph mentioned at MINECON, Bukkit will cease to exist after the API has been released.

7. Offline

TnT

More specifically, the Mojang API has the goal of making all existing API's unnecessary, as they want to have all features current API's provide built into Minecraft.
    As I said, we will have to see what the API looks like before we get ahead of ourselves.

rustymetal likes this.
  8. Offline

Shadowwolf97

Wait what? Why would they do that? :x
    Seems a bit unnecessary to replace Bukkit with a Mod API...
    Bukkit has been working on APIs since it started. while Minecraft Server requires mods.
    Bukkit is alot further than the Mod API could ever be in my opinion. Mod API would allow for alot of conflicting errors and things.. While plugins is a simple, I can either contact the owner or tweak it just a tad to make it compatible. Im sorry, But I think Mods should stay Single Player and on Vanilla Servers.. I think Bukkit Plugins will be twice as better as any Mod API could be. Not to mention if they make a Mod API simple enough for common people to understand.. it will get to a point where only stupid mods and basic knock offs are produced. And also in game mod downloading? Do they expect the mod owners to have to go through and redo their entire mode with the API, and THEN submit like you do on Bukkit Dev? Seems like more work than fun to me? Atleast with Bukkit dev its relatively quick. But with hundreds of people submitting cheesy 'new block' mods, its pointless..
    Just my Two Cents I guess.
    I wish Mojang would just leave the Mod API alone..

9. Offline

rustymetal

Sorry but you are so incorrect. One of the main reasons bukkit experiences problems is because the way it interacts with the vanilla gamecode. You have it the wrong way, Mod API mods will be twice better then bukkit ones. The mod API will enable many options that bukkit currently doesn't support.

Bukkit is a great community, and they have worked very hard. Without them there would not be a Mod API. Yes, bukkit will cease to exist because essentially the Mod API will be bukkit, without the bukkit limitations.

Look at it this way, bukkit api showed mojang what we want from the game. The majority of the time when you do something the 2ed time around, it's better then the first.

chakyl likes this.
  10. Offline

Shadowwolf97

I just don't think a few members from mojang can put in HALF the effort theses guys here put into this. They are constantly pushing new dev versions to rule out all of the bugs. I guess you are right though. Mod API is bukkit. I just hope the Bukkit Dev team will be able to help with the ModAPI or have some say in it or something.

11. Offline

c0mp

Um, 'a few members from Mojang' ARE the guys that have put the effort into Bukkit. Four of the lead Bukkit developers, including EvilSeph, were hired by Mojang to write the Mod API and other awesome stuff, I'm sure. Check out the announcement post from earlier this year for more information on that.

12. Offline

Shadowwolf97

I mean, I know they will make it GREAT and simple to use.. I would just prefer Bukkit over ModAPI..

13. Offline

rustymetal

To that, I would ask why? From a technical standpoint, the mod api is far superior to bukkit.

I think you, and many people feel this way because of the substantial change to modding community that is going to happen.. As with the fact its basically a complete wipe of the current mods. This feels like a bad thing in the short-term. Long term it's going to be amazing.

While its going to be the largest change minecraft has ever seen; it's the right direction. We are going to lose some mods, and the transition period is going to be hell for users and devs. After we have the mod api and the mod developers have time to re-write the mods. The game is going to change dramatically.

As a developer, this is the most exciting thing that could happen to minecraft.
    As a player, I am not looking forward to the small apocalypse that is going to be coming.

4am, tanveergt5 and Shadowwolf97 like this.
  14. Offline

Shadowwolf97

I guess I didnt really think of it like this.
    I know it is a dramatic change. I just cant imagine minecraft without bukkit xD
    It will be a huge change. I just hope Mojang makes a huge first impression ^.^

15. Offline

tanveergt5

I just hope the whole bukkit team moves onto working on the new API not just a few guys I mean like everyone, well who ever wants to...
    It will be FANTASTIC when it comes out I cant wait, but i hope Hawkeye etc is all ported...

16. Offline

ase34

I have a question: Will there be server-only mods that the client has not to download? So mods wich are similar to the Bukkit plugins, and for example use the chat and commands?

17. Offline

makskay

According to the recent panel on the state of the API, all API-based mods will run on the server side exclusively as of the initial API release. The API won't support client-side modding right out of the gate, but will be updated to do so later on.

18. Offline

Milkywayz

I feel that running a simply survival server like I do will become less appealing to players once some really fun / cool plugins are released for the new api. While I don't think many people will be ditching their communities to find "more exciting" ones, it will just make me have to cater more to what they want whether it skews the survival experience or not. Atleast with the limitations of bukkit, I can say to those who want this things that it's not possible, now I have to just tell them it would just change the concept of the server and I don't want to do that.

Overall though it's obviously a good thing, can't wait to get coding for the new API. It's a good thing I don't have any plugins which will need an entire rewrite other than a modified implementation.

19. Offline

chaseoes

Quite possibly the thing I'm looking forward to the most from an API is custom GUI's. I'm not interested in adding new blocks/mobs/etc. Popup notifications, buttons, sounds, etc. however would be amazing.

However it's useless to me if we can't force players to install mods - at least the ability to give them the option to download them, and the ability to check which ones they have installed so we can kick them if they haven't installed them.

20. Offline

CevinWa

Would there be a Key api :D Like you press a key on your keyboard and something like the things i written in bukkit api happens? This going to be awsome can't wait to convert my plugins to the modAPI :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.