Minecraft color glitch (fix)

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by iiMaXii, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

iiMaXii

A player on my server recently found a bug (or feature). You just type the paragraph symbol (§) followed by any of the colour-code characters (0-9 or a-f) and you'll write with coloured text. If you use other letters like "k" after the symbol you will get rapidly changing letters, which can be pretty annoying.

Anyway if your running a server you might not want your players to use coloured messages, the chat can easily get very messy. So I wrote a simple plugin to remove these things RegExChatFilter.

Someone must have known about this, please tell me if you do. It seems like this bug/feature has existed as long as Minecraft have.

Edit: A video is available here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/45944445/colour_glitch.mp4

2. I knew about this, I may be writing a Plugin soon that restricts coloured text to admins.

3. Offline

obnoxint

FUNKY LOL!

This is an open secret. Have you never noticed the randomly changing letters on the splash screen of your minecraft client before? Take a look at the splash.txt in your minecraft.jar and find "§k".
    There are keyboard shortcuts, too.

4. Offline

iiMaXii

I have, but it never occurred to me that this was working in the chat. What do you mean with keyboard shortcuts? :eek:

5. That doesn't exist as long as minecraft, cause in the past you couldn't write § in the chat.
    It exists since 1.1 I think.

MrBluebear3 likes this.
  6. Offline

obnoxint

I hope this doesn't sound like "smartassing", i just want to answer the question: A keyboard shortcut is a combination or series of keystrokes which let's you do things more quickly. STRG+SHIFT+ENTER on Windows in order to start an application with administrator privileges or the well known "three finger salute" are examples.

My fingers slipped accidentally when I was writing in chat and I think i hit the ALT-key and another one. Suddenly the text I typed from thereon appeared as lightblue.

They are undocumented (surprise!) and even the wiki doesn't know anything (bigger surprise!).

V10lator : I've noticed the "$kFUNKY LOL" before 1.1, as well. But I agree that it can't exist for too long. Since final release, maybe? Who knows? Mojang is very lazy when it comes to documentation.

7. Offline

iiMaXii

I know what a keyboard shortcut is. I meant what the combination was, my bad for asking the wrong question. But writing §1 is short enough, you really don't need a keyboard shortcut for that.

8. Offline

obnoxint

I really don't know, because it was just an accident. The ALT key was somehow involved I believe. And I was in fullscreen mode. On Windows and in windowed-mode the ALT causes the focus to be moved to system menu of the current window.

9. Offline

hatstand

Alt+0167 on the numpad gives §, but Shift+` works on a German keyboard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.