Solved Meta from Item in mainhand

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by CraftCreeper6, Aug 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

CraftCreeper6

Hello, just a question that's probably got an easy solution, for the life of me I can't figure it out.

Code:
    player.getInventory().getItemInMainHand().getItemMeta().getDisplayName()
    The code has no value. It simply does not return a value. I tried printing it with player.sendMessage, sout etc... No avail.

Code:
    System.out.println(player.getInventory().getItemInMainHand().getItemMeta().getDisplayName());
    That code does not print a line in the console, at all. Absolutely no trace of it whatsoever, and no errors.

I tried checking if the item had itemmeta and it did, and I also tried to use getLocalizedName() but that didn't work either.

Probably a more reasonable solution is how do I get the exact name of the item. Which method as extension of getItemMeta() is the correct value?

Any help is appreciated.

2. Offline

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

3. Offline

CraftCreeper6

@timtower
    That's what my assumption was.

As a test line of code (just make everything as dumbed down as possible):
    Code:
    player.sendMessage(this.prefix + ChatColor.BLUE + "" + ChatColor.BOLD + builder + ChatColor.RESET + "" + ChatColor.BLUE + "added to " + player.getInventory().getItemInMainHand().getItemMeta().getDisplayName());
    The builder string and added to get printed, but the display name does not.

And when using System.out, nothing is displayed in the console (not even null)

4. Offline

@CraftCreeper6 And if you set the displayname first?
    The displayname is always a custom name, you won't get the minecraft name from it.

5. Offline

CraftCreeper6

@timtower
    Does work if I use an anvil, but that wouldn't explain why getLocalizedName doesn't work either.

6. Offline

Same story after a look at the docs, needs to be set first.

7. Offline

CraftCreeper6

@timtower
    Okay - that works.

Now there's just the issue of what to set the display name to. Is there any way to get the name as displayed in Minecraft?

8. Offline

I don't know, might be the case that you remove it if you set it to null again.
    But the name displayed in Minecraft itself is client side.

9. Offline

CraftCreeper6

@timtower
    Could potentially get the enum value as a string and use replace with some word capitalization; for anyone looking at a solution to this.

10. Offline

CraftCreeper6 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.