'Mentioned' - Chat Enhance Plugin

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by Chase817, Jul 8, 2011.

?

Idea?

1. Good

100.0%
  2. Bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Meh, ok...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Offline

Chase817

So, I was running a standard 7 mile run today, and right in the middle, an idea for a plugin hit me. It could be called Mentioned. What it does, is it will highlight any chat message in light blue (customizable?) if your name is mentioned in the message. So if someone said "Hey chase817, what's up?" that specific message would be highlighted for me, and only me. This could be helpful if you are building, and don't want to have to look down at the chat every time some other players are having a conversation unrelated to you. Nicknames can also be made, so messages mentioning you, but not your full name will be highlighted as well. There can also be groups, so you can say "Hey builders, meet over here," and all the members of the group "builders" will have that message highlighted.

The setup can be as follows: There can be a /mentioned command with subcommands. The commands might go like this-
    • /mentioned nick <desired nickname> So "Hi Chase" works as well as "Hi Chase817"
    • /mentioned nick off To turn off your nickname
    • /mentioned group add <group name> Admins can add groups
    • /mentioned group delete <group name> Admins can remove groups
    • /mentioned group <player> <group> Admins can add a player to a group
    • /mentioned group <player> none Admins can take players out of a group
    There also can be a config.txt file in a Mentioned folder that lists groups and nicks, and who has them, so you can edit groups and nicknames with more ease than one-by-one.

Thanks for reading!

2. Offline

badbh222

@Chase817 I'll take a look at this. but no promises.

@Chase817 Here's what I have so far:

• Customisable colours for individual players or groups, Eg. Light green for users and Light blue for groups.
    • Customisable nickname per player (Only one)
    • Groups of players (Only one group per player atm, working on it)
    • Most of the commands working
    • Typing @<player> will tag that player and his/her name will be highlighted in the colour you specify in the config
    • Typing #<group> will tag that group and highlighted in the colour you specify

Do you want the @ and # method? Do you want multiple groups for each player? Multiple nicknames per player?

Do you use iChat or any other chat plugin? If yes, this will most likely be incompatible... :confused:

Anything else you want to see?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2016
  3. Offline

Chase817

Everything you've done sounds amazing, and I don't use iChat so I will be ok. Thanks so much!

4. Offline

badbh222

@Chase817 I've been sidetracked from this while I am updating one of my other plugins, but I will get back on it ASAP. :D

5. Offline

Chase817

That's fine, its awesome that you're at least working on it anyway :D

6. Offline

badbh222

@Chase817 Progress is going good, got multi groups and multi nicknames working, but in doing so, need to rewrite the commands, thinking something like the following:

Code:
    /mentioned add nick <nick>
    /mentioned remove nick <nick>
    /mentioned add nick <player> <nick>
    /mentioned remove nick <player> <nick>
    /mentioned add group <group>
    /mentioned delete group <group>
    /mentioned join group <group>
    /mentioned leave group <group>
    /mentioned join group <player> <group>
    /mentioned leave group <player> <group>
    /mentioned reload
    /mentioned help

And the config file will look something like this:

Code:
        User highlight colour: '&a'
        Group highlight colour: '&b'
        Message colour: '&f'
    Users:
        badbh222:
            Nicknames: BadBoy, BB
            Groups: Admins, Dev
        Chase817:
            Nicknames: Chase
            Groups: Admins

And just as an example, when someone types "#Admins" in a message, it would show up like this for whoever is in the "Admins" group:

<Player> Hey #Admins I need some help!

I think changing the whole message to one colour is a bit much. Let me know what you think. :)

7. Offline

Chase817

That's awesome, everything seems to be there. Mybe there can be a setting in the config that allows you to specify if the tag or the whole message is highlighted, just so people can see what works best for them. But that's just an optional thing, because this plugin has tons of great functionality already. Thanks for working on this!

8. Offline

scrub88

would this support prefixes and suffixes?

9. Offline

badbh222

@scrub88 If you would like, do you want them to be loaded from like permissions or built into the config? Because the latter would be much easier. :D

10. Offline

scrub88

it would have to be for permissions :p most people get chat plugins for the group prefixes and stuff, well i did anyways :)

11. Offline

badbh222

scrub88 likes this.