[MECH] Glowstone Lanterns - Make glowstone lanterns, daytime glass & nighttime glowstone

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by Tim Visee, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Offline

Tim Visee

Glowstone Lanterns - Make glowstone lanterns, daytime glass & nighttime glowstone
    [​IMG]

The Glowstone Lanterns project page has been moved. Go to one of the two pages bellow to get to the Glowstone Lanterns project page, with the newest download available:
    You can view the original page in the spoiler bellow. It's highly recommended to visit one of the above sites, to view the up-to-date pages.
    Original Page (open)

With this plugin Glowstone Lanterns you can make lanterns, when it's going dark the glass of the lanterns will change in glowstone and when it's daytime it will change in glass again. The great thing is that you don't need to place a full lantern but only a glass/glowstone block, so you can use it for everyting. This plugin is very usefull for a large city to light it up, that looks really cool that the lanterns will change in glowstone! You can also place prebuilt lanterns, so that's really usefull if you want to plase a lot of lanterns in a little time.
    You can enable glowstone lanterns with /gl, when you place a glass or a glowstone block it is marked as a glowstone lanterns, this block will change to glowstone if it is night and to glass if it is daytime. If you use /gl l 1 you will enable prebuilt glowstone lanterns, if you place a glass or a glowstone block there will apear the prebuilt glowstone lantern you selected right there. There prebuilt lanterns are in external files, so you can make your own prebuilt lanterns and share them with other pelople.
    Note: When you haven't permissions on your server, the plugin is avaible for all the OP's

Official page (suggested): http://www.timvisee.com/projects/bukkit/glowstone-lanterns/
    Bukkit DEV: http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/glowstone-lanterns/

Video
    In this video you can see how the plugin works :) (Outdated Video)

Features:
    • Permissions support
    • Multi world support
    • Place prebuilt lanterns that are located in external files, you can make them and share them with other pelople
    • Posibility to create your own lanterns
    • Players can only destroy lanterns if he have permission
    • And a lot more!
    Upcomming Features:
    • Costum messages and color support
    • In-game prebuilt lanterns creator
    What are prebuilt lanterns?
    Prebuilt lanterns are a really usefull feature in Glowstone Lanterns. You could place a prebuilt lantern by enableling the prebuilt lantern mode and then by placing a glass block or any other lantern block as your usually do with the normal lantern blocks. When you done that a lantern will spawn, for example when you place a glass block a lantern will spawn with a wooden base, a wooden fence pole and a glass/glowstone lantern on it. You could also spawn other prebuilt lanterns which could be used to hang on the ceiling for example. They are just really usefull because they will automaticly create a lantern. So the basic thing why there are prebuilt lanterns are is because you could easily create any lantern you want by only placing a glass block.

Player Commands
    /gl, /glowstonelantern or /glowstonelanterns
    - Enable glowstone lanterns
    /gl lantern <lantern-id> or /gl l lantern <lantern-id>
    - Enable prebuilt glowstone lanterns
    /gl lantern or /gl l
    - Disable prebuild glowstone lanterns​
    /gl list lanterns or /gl list l
    - List the prebuilt lanterns​
    /gl help
    - View the help
    /gl info
    - View info (see if glowstone lanterns is enabled)
    /gl save
    - Save the glowstone lanterns list
    /gl reload
    - Reload the lanterns list
    /gl verion
    - View current running verion number

Download
    With the following links underneath you could download the Glowstone Lanterns plugin. With the first two links you could directly download the plugin. With the third link you'll go to the official download page where you could find all the download links and all the other versions of the plugin.
    Glowstone Lanterns 0.6 (hosted on dropbox.com)
    Glowstone Lanterns 0.6 (hosted on mediafire.com)
    All downloads and older versions (official download-page on timvisee.com)

Installation:
    1. Download the plugin
    2. Add the GlowstoneLanterns.jar file and the folder 'Glowstone Lanterns' from the downloaded .zip file to the /plugin folder of the minecraft server. Also add the included folder 'Glowstone Lanterns' to your plugins folder.
    3. Add the permissions if you have; (Look at the permissions paragraph underneeth)
    4. Start your game and use Glowstone Lanterns!

Permissions:
    Allow users to place glowstone lanterns; glowstonelanterns.gl
    Allow users to destroy glowstone lanterns; glowstonelanterns.destroyLanterns
    Allow users to use the info command; glowstonelanterns.info
    Allow users to use the reloadcommand; glowstonelanterns.reload
    Allow users to use the save command; glowstonelanterns.save

Bugs
    There are NO bugs found :D

Changelog:
    Changelog (open)

Version 0.6 (14-10-2012)
    • Delayed lantern changes
    • Auto generating config files
    • Updated bukkit api
    • Improved the permissions manager
    • Added PermissionsEx support
    • Added Essentials Group Manager support
    • Updated Default Permissions support
    • the pagages are now renamed to com.timvisee... (instead of me.timvisee...)
    Version 0.5
    • Rewrote whole plugin, plugin is a lot faster
    • Added new bukkit event system
    • New file save/load system, made it faster
    • Glowstone Lanterns wouldn't crash the server anymore!
    • Whole new prebuilt lanterns system which works A LOT better
    • Possibility to make ANY costum lantern!
    • Some prebuilt lanterns are added and removed
    • Added new config features
    • Added a help command to see all the commands (/gl help)
    • Added a reload command to reload the lanterns list (/gl reload)
    • Added a reload command permission node (glowstonelanterns.reload)
    • Changed version command result (/gl version)
    • Changed some chat messages
    • Better user interface in the chat
    • There are some other bugs fixed
    Version 0.3
    • New 'Save' command to save the current lanterns list (/gl save), this command has a permission line (glowstonelanterns.save)
    • Better costum prebuilt lanterns support (command lines supoortend, same as YAML with a # on a line as the first character)
    • Bug fixes!
    • There's also added an config file
    • Function to turn lanterns on when it's raining
    Version 0.2
    • Added the external prebuilt lantern files, so you can make your own prebuilt lanterns and share them with other pelople. Of course you can download lanterns from other pelople (or from this forum topic) and use them in-game
    Version 0.1
    • Plugin release
    • Player commands
    • Permissions
    • Multi world support
    • Prebuilt lanterns

How to make your own prebuilt lantern:
    How to make your own prebuilt lantern (open)

What are prebuilt lanterns?
    Prebuilt lanterns are a really usefull feature in Glowstone Lanterns. You could place a prebuilt lantern by enableling the prebuilt lantern mode and then by placing a glass block or any other lantern block as your usually do with the normal lantern blocks. When you done that a lantern will spawn, for example when you place a glass block a lantern will spawn with a wooden base, a wooden fence pole and a glass/glowstone lantern on it. You could also spawn other prebuilt lanterns which could be used to hang on the ceiling for example. They are just really usefull because they will automaticly create a lantern. So the basic thing why there are prebuilt lanterns are is because you could easily create any lantern you want by only placing a glass block.

The possibility of prebuilt lanterns
    You probably ask yourself what kind of prebuilt lanterns there are... There are a few build-in prebuilt lanterns, like 12 lanterns or so, which contains a lantern for the ceiling, a few lanterns to place on the ground, and even a fireplace lantern which turns on fire when its night. The possibilities are endless, you could easily create your own prebuilt lanterns and enlarge your lantern collection. You could also share your own prebuilt lanterns with other people so they could use your own created lantern.

How do they work?
    Prebuilt lanterns are saved in seperated files (for each lantern a file) inside the 'Prebuilt Lanterns' folder inside the Glowstone Lanterns folder of your server. You could easily add another file to add other lanterns. The name of the file equals to the name of the lantern in-game

How does the files work?
    Here I'm going to explain you how the prebuilt lantern files work so you could easily edit or make another lantern.
    In the lantern file there are different rows, every block of the lantern is on another row in the file. So if you have a lantern with contains 3 blocks your lantern file will probably have 3 rows.
    So the lanterns are saved in the file block by block. If the base block of your lantern is a wooden block you need to add a line that says that the bottom block is a wooden block, if your pole on top of it is a wooden fence you need to say that the block above that wooden block is a fence, and lastly if your lantern block above that pole is a glass block which turns into glowstone at night you need to add a line which says that that block is a lantern block which is glass when its day and glowstone when its night.
    Underneath here I'll explain how your really write this yourself.

How to make your own prebuilt lantern file
    Here you could see an example of the lantern I was talking about, a wooden base block, a wooden pole and a lantern block on top of it.
    On every line is another block of the lantern defined, every line does look a little bit like this;
    With this example I'm going to explain how every line work.
    The first three zero's seperated with commas is the location of the current block, the first zero is the coordinate X, the seccond Y and the last Z. Those coordinates are relative, that means that 0,0,0 is the place where the player plased the glass block to place the prebuilt lantern. When you change the seccond zero to 1 that block will be above the glass block which you could set as a wooden fence block.
    The false text will tell the plugin if the current block is a lantern block, if this is set to false as shown in the example it is a regulair block, if it is set to true it's a lantern block which does mean that this block will be changed to another type of material when its going to be night.
    There are 6 more zero's behind the false text. The first and the seccond zero could be used to set the block type. So if you want to place a wooden block you need to set the first zero to 5 because the block ID of a wooden block is 5.
    If you want to make a lantern block which changed when its night you need to set true/false to true at first which indicates that that block will be a lantern block. Then you could set in the first two zero's what kind of block that lantern block will be when it's day, the third and fourth zero are the block ID and the data value of the block how it will ook like when it's night and the last two are used for the block when it's raining. With a normal block which isn't a lantern you need to set those last four zero's to 0 since they arent used because it isn't a lantern block. I hope I explaind this feature a little bit clear since it's hard to explain.
    So underneath here you'll find a little other example which shows you the thing I explained you again.
    I hope this will make it a bit more clear.
    You could also add a line with nothing on it, just a blank line to seperate two groups of blocks for example. (this doesn't affect the lantern result, its just to make it easier to read the file yourself).
    And as last thing you could also add a line which starts with the following character #, then you could type anything you want behind it. This could be used to make a comment inside the file, for example you could make a line which tells someone who looks in the file that the lantern has been made by you. Because this line will start with a # character the plugin will know that this is a comment line so it doesn't affect the lantern result. Underneath here you could also see another example.
    So here you could see you could use a line with a # character as a comment line and that you could plase a blank line anywhere in the file. As I already said a lantern which contains 3 blocks should have a file with three lines, but now you know if you place a comment or a blank line in the file the file will contain more lines.
    So one last thing, EVERY feature of the file is seperated in lines, blocks, comment lines and blank lines, you couldn't make two blocks on a single line.

Create your first prebuilt lantern
    Now we are going to make your first prebuilt lantern. We will make a lantern which will look like this. A wooden base block, with a wooden fence pole on it. Then a lantern block on the pole which will be glass when it's day, glowstone when it's night and a jack'o'lantern when it's raining. And lastly a wooden slab on top of the lantern block. So this lantern will contain 4 blocks, three regulair blocks and 1 lantern block.
    Now open a simple text editor (notepad in windows, textedit on a mac) or any other program where you could type text in and start creating the file.
    On the first line you probably want a commant that the lantern has been made by you, for example a line like this
    Now make a blank line underneath this comment line. Then start making the blocks.
    The first block will be a wooden block (block ID = 5) on coordinate 0,0,0 since it should be on the place where the user placed the glass block, this isn't going to be a lantern block, just a regulair block so write a line like this;
    Then make the wooden pole on top of the base block (wooden fence ID = 85).
    Then make a lantern block which should be a glass block when its day, at night it should be a glowstone lantern and when it's raining a jack'o'lantern. The ID of a glass block is 20, a glowstone block 89 and a jack'o'lantern block 91. So write a line like this.
    and now the last block, the wooden slab on top of the lantern. The ID for this slab is 44 with a data value of 2, otherwise the slab will be a regulair stone slab. This is also an example for the data value usage. Now write that line like htis
    now the lantern is finished, and of course if you want to could also add some more blank lines and comment lines on the bottom, like a copyright line or something.
    Now how to save the file, open your window where you could save the file, in windows notepad you need to go to the file menu and then click Save As. Just navigate to your desktop or any other directory and name the file 'example.gllantern'. Make sure you give the file the file-extention '.gllantern' or else the plugin isn't able to open the lantern. Now just save it as 'example.gllantern' to any directory you want and close the text editor. Now navigate to the directory where you saved the file (probably your desktop as I suggested). There is your lantern file, now place that file you made in the 'Prebuilt Lanterns' folder inside the 'Glowstone Lanterns' folder inside your plugins folder of your plugin. When you done that you could start your server and start using your lantern. Please note that your lantern has been called 'example' since you saved the file with the name 'example.gllantern', if you save/rename the file to 'lantern.gllantern' the lantern will be called 'lantern'. Underneath here I will show you how to place the lantern you made.

How to place/use your lantern?
    Now you probably made your lantern and placed it into the prebuilt lanterns directory of the plugin, if you haven't placed the lantern you want to use into that folder you aren't able to use the lantern.
    When you are in-game and when you've started your server you could use the command '/gl list lanterns' to list all the available lanterns, so the lantern you added which is probably called 'example' should be in this list too, if it is you added your lantern succesfully.
    Now use the command '/gl l <name-of-lantern>' to enable the prebuilt lantern mode with a prebuilt lantern selected. So if your lantern is called example you need to use this command '/gl l example' to enable prebuilt lanterns mode with the example lantern selected. When you have selected and enabled the prebuilt lantern mode a message should popup that you enabled this mode.
    Now select a glass block or any other block which could be used to place a lantern block or a prebuilt lantern (configurable in the config file) and place it on the ground, and your own lantern magically appears! (if your lantern doesn't appear and an error pop's up in the console you know something is wrong with your lantern file, please read this text again and try it again). Now you could easily place your own lantern anywhere you want.

I hope you understand how everything works know, if you know how it works it;s one of the easiest things to do!
    If you still don't know how to use this, please contact me on the Glowstone Lanterns bukkit.org forum page or anywhere else so I could answer your question.
    Please also take a look at the build-in prebuilt lanterns because they could help you a lot!

Suggestions, Ideas and bugs
    If you have a suggestion or an idea, please tell me and maybe I will add it to the plugin!
    If you found any bug please tell me I will fix it as fast as I can.

Donate
    Please donate some money so I can buy some coffee to make better plugins, I really like it if you give a donation!
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Offline

Dodogong

Greetings!

Disregarding what GlowstoneLantern permission I put in my PermissionsBukkit's config.yml,
    your plugin refuses access to GlowstoneLantern-related commands for everyone but OPs.

Code:
                glowstonelanterns.gl: true
                glowstonelanterns.destroyLanterns: true
                glowstonelanterns.info: true
                glowstonelanterns.save: true
    Also, the command outputs are getting rather annoying.

Are there any solutions?

EDIT: The console tells me "No permissions, defaulting to OP's

3. Offline

DocMartens

Hi well at first your plug is really cool, but ist keeps crashing my server
    Do u know whats wrong?

4. Install the SuperpermsBridge. Unfortunately this is the only method to get the permissions working i know :(

5. Offline

Tim Visee

Hmm, really strange, it works fine on my server, im trying to update this plugin tomorrow to add the function to disable the messages.. (a recomment 0.4 version I mean)

Hmm strange, I'll check this tommorrow because im gonna try to update this plugin tomorrow

I probably know what happend, I think the plugin hasn't permission support for the bukkit permissions system yet, im also going to try to add this tomorrow when Im gonna update the plugin (I'm going to try to update the plugin tomorrow, im not sure). I think there currently isn't any solution to fix this, sorry :(

No, @Sneaky420 also got this error, and I and other still don't know whats wrong, I rewrote the whole plugin 2 times and it still happend, it probably isnt a but inside the plugin but another plugin that causes problems with this plugin, probably spout, bukkit contrib or something like that, do you use this kind of plugins? Oh and could you send me your whole plugin list (just post it inside this forum thread, thats fine)

Ah yes, thats a possible way, oh btw, im going to try to add bukkit permissions support to the plugin tomorrow.. :)

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2016
  6. If you do, make sure to include an option that prevents the usage of the Bridge ;)
    And Bukkit Permission support is really easy, if you need any help feel free to ask :)

7. Offline

DocMartens

Craftbook, Essentials, MinecartMania, MinecartManiaCore, Permissions, SimpleAlias, and Worldedit
    That's all

8. Offline

Tim Visee

Thanks for this reply :)

If it is one of the plugins (I think it is) its probably essentials :(. There's currently no way to fix this :mad:

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

9. Offline

jespertheend

Mine kept crashing too, these are my plugin's:

10. Offline

Tim Visee

D: :(, could you send me the error message, that would be really helpfull

11. Offline

DocMartens

Hmm, that's bad. Well then we will have to wait untill this prob. can get fixed. Or I'll try to turn Essentials off and test it, I will post tomorrow what happend.

12. Offline

Tim Visee

Ok, thanks, the test would be really helpfull!

13. Offline

jespertheend

That's the problem, it just crashes. The I have to start up my computer again. Because everytime I try to startup the server again I get this error:

But I do not get any errors when it crashes.

14. Offline

Dodogong

Thanks Tim!
    I appritiate your quick feedback.
    And I'm looking forward to the update.

And thank you too.
    I will look into it.

15. Offline

Tim Visee

Yes that probably works, test that out..!

16. Offline

Sneaky420

Hmm seems others are having issues like me... But I checked out "timeblock" and it is doing the same thing and looking at this list:

Craftbook, Essentials, MinecartMania, MinecartManiaCore, Permissions, SimpleAlias, and Worldedit
    from the other player, the only one that matches what I use is Worldedit.

17. Offline

Tim Visee

Timeblock gives the same errors, I heard this from other people who are using Glowstone Lanterns and got errors, so also because this im really sure its another plugin. And yes, on my server everything works fine, and I didnt use Essentials, spout or something like that so I think this are the plugins who cause the errors.. but, I need to find a way to check when this error happend..

18. Offline

DocMartens

Well I took of Essentials and the server still crashed.

Tim Visee likes this.
  19. Offline

Tim Visee

Hmm strange! But thats really helpfull, thanks.

20. Offline

diannetea

I don't think it is Essentials, I'm running Essentials (along with a ton of others) and have no issues with this plugin whatsoever.

These are all the plugins that I use:

Show Spoiler
    2011-10-18 20:45:04 [INFO] Plugins: AutoRepair, BananaBackup, ClayGen, CraftBukkitUpToDate, CreeperHeal, EfficiencyExpert, Essentials, Glowstone Lanterns, iConomy, InventorySort, LagMeter, MiningTNT, MobBounty, MobLoot, MyWarp, PermissionsEx, PlugMan, PorteCoulissante, RetractableBridge, SecretPassage, TKeepGrowing, WeatherRestrictions, Permissions, BookWorm, DeathControl, DynaMark, mcMMO, OtherDrops, Register

Tim Visee likes this.
  21. Offline

Massimo1993

tnks nice plugin

Tim Visee likes this.
  22. Offline

Tim Visee

Thanks for this reply, thats really helpfull

23. I found a bug:

Somtimes when give the glowstons no light when they swith between glass and glowstone! (picture)
    Another bug is that somtimes glass not switch to glowstone and the other way round!
    Can you help me/us?

24. Offline

Tim Visee

Yes there currenly isn't a fix for this, but I know what happend. The server doesn't trigger the chunk so that you need to reload that chunk, if you reconnect it should be fixed, if not that chunk wasn't loaded on the time change. I'm going to check again how to fix this problem.

25. Offline

cr4sher619

As soon as I reload the server removes the already set glowstone Laterns

26. Offline

OracleOfTime

could you add redstone support so you can turn them on and off with switches?

Tim Visee likes this.
  27. Offline

Tim Visee

Hmm, I will try to add this feature later, I think this is a option for prebuild lanterns..

Really strange, does the console sais something strainge, like that a file isn't found?
    How do you shutdown your server, using the /stop command? (probably needed)

28. Offline

OracleOfTime

Cool. Thanks man

Tim Visee likes this.
  29. Offline

AdriBec

Hi !
    First, sorry if that has been already asked, but 11 pages, to much for someone like me :p
    So, maybe you could add to the config file an option for changing the block during day (default glass) and the block during night (default glowstone). Yes it is Halloween, and it might be cool if we can replace the glowstone by jack o lanterns ^^

But great plugin, thank you !

Tim Visee likes this.
  30. Offline

Redlac31

Hello, I've been using this plugin for a while, and I noticed that it changes the world time to day only a few seconds into night...
    Day lasts the normal time, though... It's just night gets interrupted, and on a survival server, that really messes things up...

Tim Visee likes this.
  31. Offline

Tim Visee

Yes Im
    Yes this is asked before :p
    Yes im adding this, I was bussy with school but now I'm back again. But there isn't currently any option to fix this for now.

Sorry, I didn't understand, I'm Dutch, could you explain it a little bit better?