Inactive [MECH/FUN] Portal Gel v1.3.2 - Bring in the Portal 2 gel effects [1.3.1-R1.0]

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by LittleGruz, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Offline

LittleGruz

Portal Gel - Bring in the Portal 2 gel effects
    Version 1.3.2:

Add a little Aperture Science to your Minecraft server with this mod which allows players to "bounce" on the Repulsion Gel and accelerate on the Propulsion Gel.

Features:
    • Causes the player to "bounce" when landing on a blue wool block.
    • Causes the player accelerate in the direction they are looking at when over an orange wool block.
    • Boots which prevent any fall damage.
    • Able to have both normal and gel blocks.
    How to use:
    • To place a gel block:
      • Type the command: /gelplacement on
      • This will cause every blue or orange wool block be a gel block.
      • Once done placing the gel, type the command: /gelplacement off
    • Repulsion Gel:
      • Place a blue wool block down where you intend to land.
      • Jump onto it from (at least) a height of 1-11 blocks.
      • Find a safe place to land after the bounce (e.g. not lava).
    • Propulsion Gel:
      • Place orange blocks where you want to accelerate.
      • Walk over it.
      • Zoom!
    • Portal boots:
      • Wear iron boots.
      • Enable or disable their effect with the command: /portalboots <on|off>
    NOTE: Falling onto the gel from any height above 11 blocks will result in being launched only 11 blocks back into the air. But due to the bug mention below, some heights don't seem to work (e.g. 12 and 17 blocks high)

OTHER NOTE: Repulsion gel does not work in creative mode.

View the BukkitDev page here.
    Download the plugin on this page, or the permissions restricted version here.
    Or check out the site here.
    Or download the source code here.

Demo video enclosed in the spoiler
    Instruction video (open)

For those of you who speak Polish, the lovely user Fre0n100 has created a video for you.
    Polish video (open)

Everyone should check out this fantastic video by James and his door challenged friend, Matthew.
    Aww yeah (open)

Seaborgium has made another great instructional video for my plugins!
    Borg of the sea (open)

Enjoy my mods? Donate! Dislike my mods? Donate!

Known bugs:
    • Some falling distances larger than 11 blocks don't seem to launch the player back into the air.
    Future plans:
    • Increase the working repulsion gel range if necessary.
    Changelog:
    Version 1.3.2:
    • Updated to use the new event handling/listener system
    Past versions (open)
    Version 1.3.1:
    • Fixed PlayerInterect event bug.
    Version 1.3:
    • New way to make gel blocks
    • Now possible to have normal blue/orange wool and gel blocks on the same server/world
    Version 1.2:
    • Added portal boots and an associated enable/disable command
    Version 1.1.1:
    • Changed the entire way the Repulsion Gel finds the distance fallen.
    Version 1.1:
    • Added the Propulsion Gel.
    Version 1.0:
    • Released into the wild.

Look at me still talking when there's Science to do

2. Offline

Cubear

Well, the only other thing I can think of that I'd really like to see is multiworld support.

You could theoretically just make it "active" if it's placed on top of a certain other block type? i know it'd take longer for people to place if it needed to be wool atop glass or glowstone or whichever you might choose, but the time investment and the potential "rarity" of whatever underlying material could make boosters and bounce pads more "valuable" in survival play.

3. Offline

LittleGruz

Hey cool, didn't think of that one. Good idea, I think I might end up implementing that.
    Also, what do you mean by multiworld support? Does this mod not work in the nether? Or do you mean restrict access to only certain worlds?

4. Offline

Cubear

I do mean that it would be nice if I could choose if it were enabled or not depending on world. My server is running a creative/survival split, with different maps. We're trying to keep the survival world relatively close to vanilla minecraft, keeping the amount of active mods to a minimum.

5. Offline

LittleGruz

I've created a poll over on the Portal Gel BukkitDev page which I would really appreciate some feedback on since it will be a pretty significant feature. If you don't have an account and wish to comment, just bung the comment here.
    A much more awesome solution has been made in the forums over there

6. Offline

Spydr

i can't delete blue and orange wool after placing it with this mod on.

7. Offline

LittleGruz

Really? I'm able to remove wool in normal and creative modes with the most recent version. Where you in the spawn area?
    Has anyone else had this problem?

8. Offline

Spydr

i was testing alone, and i was no where near (miles away from) spawn. i restarted my server and everything. when in creative i get no cracks of damage but i get continuous bits flying off. in survival i get normal breaking but an immediate block replace. i bet this is because of another plugin now that i check my server console... hmmmm... i think it's day jobs not allowing it, i'll talk to my tech guy on this (he helps with all the complicated stuff on this server).

ok, it was day jobs. but i'm really having issues getting blue wool to bounce me. i did it once or twice. i made a stair case of blue wool of varying levels of height. it is not a bouncy stair case like i hoped. also is it intentional that you can only bounce on blue wool in survival mode?

9. Offline

LittleGruz

No, it was not intentional. It seems the Bukkit method getFallDistance() doesn't work in creative mode.
    Can you provide any information on the blue wool issues?

10. Offline

Spydr

what info do you need? i made a pit (very deep one square "tube" down) with a blue wool on the bottom, and bounced right out. wool about 3-4 blocks down, and i bounce. one block down, no bounce. jump on a block, no bounce.

HA HA HA! i fixed it. it works better when you use blue WOOl not lapis lazuli blocks. :p

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2016
  11. woooo that's awesome i'm just trying now... as i can see i can go higer with the propulsion gel than the repulsion one because the propulsion gel pushes you into the direction you're looking (interesting)

this is a personal reqüest: can you made some protection boots? (like iron or diamond ones)

12. Offline

LittleGruz

Do you mean boots which will protect the user from falling damage only when on the gels or from falling damage in general?
    Actually, I should probably prevent the user from being damaged on the propulsion gel anyway...

13. i'm using the propulsion gel to make funnels allowing players to jump high and then land to the repulsion gel (they are doing it too).. but trying to do it i was killed several times falling from the sky when jumping with repulsion gel...

this is the video i've just made for you showing falling damages:

the general falling damage it's not important but with the gels are a bit annoying (because you're allways jumping and "flying)

14. Offline

LittleGruz

Neat! That video has some great implementations of the propulsion gel.
    A lot of that looks like normal falling damage, like walking off the tree, so the protection boots (heh, or helmet) would probably have to protect the wearer from all falling damage.
    Unless of course there are other ideas?

joachim-vampire likes this.
  15. Offline

LittleGruz

New versions!
    Version 1.2 introduced portal boots which prevent any damage caused by falling. They can be set by wearing iron boots and executing the command '/portalboots on'

Version 1.3 introduced the ability to have normal blue and orange blocks co-existing with the Repulsion and Propulsion Gels on the same map.
    If you wish to place a gel block, type '/gelplacement on' then place the blue and orange wool you want to be gel.
    If you have already placed the blocks you want to be gel. Just type '/gelplacement on' and then left click the wool block.

16. Offline

flashkill

The blue gel isn't working, i tried blue wool light blue cyan and even lapis but it just isn't bouncy. Is this broken?

17. Offline

LittleGruz

Did you try the using the new commands from the post right above yours?

18. Offline

Dannycheck

It doesn't work's.
    When i use the /gelplacement on or /portalboots on
    comes. This Commant does not Exist

19. Offline

LittleGruz

Do you have the most recent version?

EDIT: Due to the poor notification system for bukkitDev, I've only just found comments about a big bug for a specific situation with the commands which I'm working on the solution now for. Trying to recreate the bugs first but not succeeding yet.

EDIT: Link is here: http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/portal-gel/forum/28653-bugs/

20. Offline

j_selby

Where's My CAKE? :D

21. Offline

LittleGruz

I think I left your cake somewhere nearby. Check in the spoiler.
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    Oh no! It's spoiled!

22. Offline

j_selby

NOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Awesome plugin - by the way.

23. Offline

cambrann

Is there any permissions? i was looking and didnt see any, if there isnt, you should add some, like who can make the gel.

24. Offline

LittleGruz

Is there actually any problems with everyone being able to make gel? I don't currently see the need for it to be restricted. I'm curious to know why you think there should be restrictions to gel placement or boot activation.

25. Offline

cambrann

My idea was not allowing everyone to have it, and make an arena type area with obstacles using the gel. And I also don't want gel everywhere on my server.

26. Offline

LittleGruz

Fair enough. I'll create a separate branch with permissions when I get around to branching the main repo in Github. Which will be after I finished Cave Story...

27. Offline

cambrann

Okay. Thanks!

28. Offline

LittleGruz

Ops only version is now available

29. Offline

cambrann

Thanks so much!

30. Offline

jimmyy4

The portal 2 gels are based off of
    Tag: The power of paint

31. Offline

tommy3579

my cmd keeps getting flooded with errors, please help!