Inactive [MECH] Backpack v2.2.0 (The Ultimate Inventory Expander!) [953]

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by Afforess, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Offline

Afforess

Backpack
    Because One is never enough!
    Preface:
    Backpack is the ultimate salvation in inventory management. Your standard minecraft inventory has 36 slots in it, just enough to be handy, but terrible for long journeys or mining expeditions to the other side of the map. Backpack nonatuples your existing inventory space. (For those of you not familiar with latin, that's 9x the space).
    How is this massive inventory boost possible? The mouse wheel. (Thanks to Edward Hand for the idea!) Sneaking while Scrolling through each of the quickslots switches you to a new inventory page. This gives you freedom to scroll through NINE different pages. Scrolling without sneaking allows you to scroll through your inventory like normal.

If you don't quite get it, I've made a short video demonstrating:
    FAQ:​
    Is there a way to change the number of pages? I only want certain users to have x amount of pages.
    Yes, see the next question down!
    Is there permission or group manager support!
    Nope! There is however a configuration file (aptly named "config.xml") that is created on the first run and allows you to customize the amount of extra inventory pages, and who gets to use them.
    Are your inventories saved between logins and server restarts?
    Yes. Backpack saves the inventories in the same file notch does, in the "player".dat file.
    Updating all those files must be slow/I heard that I/O operations are slow.
    They are. Backpack is multithreaded, so if you have more than 1 core, you won't notice any lag.
    This mod doesn't have anything to do with Minecarts, why the Minecart Mania dependency?
    Minecart Mania offers a useful interface for a lot of things I needed in writing Backpack, and 70% of the code is actually in MM. If you really hate Minecart Mania, you can just install core, and disable all of the features from it's configuration file.
    Dependencies:
    Commands:
    • /open <page number>
      • Opens a dialog with your current inventory, and the inventory from that page so you can easily swap items between pages. Quick slots are numbered 1-10, with 1 on the leftmost side.
    • /backpack
      • Toggles your backpack on or off.
    Permissions:
    (Permissions is optional, but will be used if installed)​
    • backpack.toggle
      • Allows the use of the /backpack command
    • backpack.open
      • Allows the use of the /open command
    • backpack.saveactionbar
      • Saves the action bar in-between pages
    • backpack.maxpages.# (where # is a number 1-9 [e.g backpack.maxpages.6])
      • The maximum pages allowed for the players
    Changelog:
    • Version 0.10
      • Initial Release!
    • Version 0.11
      • Swapped the role of sneaking around
    • Version 0.12
      • Player death is handled correctly
      • When your current inventory page is full, nearby items on the ground will be added to empty slots in other inventory pages.
    • Version 0.13
      • Added a first time login message. Only is triggered once for each player.
    • Version 0.14
      • Added customizable amount of inventory players, through XML.
    • Version 0.15-0.20
      • Bug Fixes
    • Version 0.21
      • Added /open command
    • Version 0.23
      • Reduced I/O operations from being continuous to once per minute
      • Fixed a bug which could cause player inventory pages to be lost if the server shut down in such a way that MM unloaded before the I/O operations finished.
    • Version 1.0
      • Fixed lag caused by I/O operations
      • Player Data now saves correctly, and will not become corrupt during server shutdowns
      • Improved Error Handling
      • Improved Console Log of Information for admins
    • Version 1.0a-1.0g
      • Bug fixes
    • Version 1.1
      • More robust inventory backups
      • /backpack command
    • Version 2.0
      • Supports MC 1.4
      • Action bar no longer switches with new inventory pages
      • Backpack saves with rest of inventory in player.dat file
      • Other plugins can access and correctly see a player's larger inventory w/o being Backpack Aware
    • Version 2.0.1
      • Backpack's work correctly after death
    • Version 2.0.2
      • Small Backpacks work correctly
    • Version 2.0.3
      • Players can choose to save the action bar or have separate action bars via the config
      • Bug fixes
    • Version 2.0.4
      • Improved Error Handling
    • Version 2.0.5
      • Fixed /open command crashing clients
    • Version 2.0.6
      • Fixed item duping on death
    • Version 2.0.7
      • Bug Fixes
    • Version 2.0.8
      • Permissions Support
      • Efficiency Changes
      • Bug Fixes
    • Version 2.0.9
      • Updated to MC 1.5
    • Version 2.1.0
      • Minor fixes/Cleanup
    • Version 2.2.0
      • New saving system
      • Lots of cleanup
      • Lots of bug fixes

2. Offline

Soul Reaper

I mean when you sneak the toolbar still remains unchanged, just your inventory slots change

3. Offline

Afforess

But then how would you get to the other inventory pages?
    --- merged: Feb 27, 2011 5:43 AM ---
    Really? I thought I handled that correctly. Off to test.

4. Offline

Soul Reaper

No clue, if it isn't possible then no worries >.>
    though I suppose commands may work, would be clunky though.

5. Offline

Afforess

The whole point of Backpack is to be simple and painless to use, using the shift and mouse wheel. If that's too annoying for a particular player, you can always set their inventory pages to "1" in the config, and be done with it.

6. Offline

Soul Reaper

True I might as well hehe.

However I did think of another way though not sure if its possible to implement. You can make it so the toolbar gets moved to the new one each time a player switches backpacks.

7. Offline

DeNarr

Ok, I will be mining, and I have a lot of cobblestone in my inventory. I will have some stacks of 64, some greater than 64, and some that are a single block of cobblestone. I left click the single cobblestone, and in the square I just picked the single stone up from is a stack of 64. I then place the single stone in an empty spot. I pick it back up, and there is yet another stack of 64 beneath it. This process will continue to repeat.

8. Offline

Afforess

By switching backpacks - do you mean opening the inventory screen?
    --- merged: Feb 27, 2011 6:29 AM ---
    Oh - a corrupted item. Throw it into lava.

The good news is that I think I solved the item dupe glitch. I'm testing it on my server right now.

9. Offline

Soul Reaper

I mean when you shift+mousewheel, but when opening works too.

10. Offline

Afforess

Version v0.19 is up. It should fix both the stacks exceeding 64 bug, and the duping bug. Thank you to everyone who gave detailed reports that helped me track them down.

If you find any more bugs, please give detailed steps on how to reproduce it so I can squash it.

11. Offline

morikubo

I have some issues
    //1: I have changed pages from 9 to 1 in config for 'default', and nothing changed, after reload, and after restart.
    =====resolved, i haved to delete users from /data
    2: My items from 1 page dessapear and i can't catch the moment it happens.

Also i use ctrl for duck.
    using 440

12. Offline

Afforess

2.) I've seen this happen on rare occasions too - it really bothers me, but I can't seem to reproduce it again.

13. Offline

morikubo

You understand that it is a major issue. I have roleplay serv, so inventory is vital.
    Is there any way for me to help you with that?

14. Offline

Afforess

Yes I do - I said it really bothers me. It's a HUGE issue. Even worse for the fact I can't seem to reporduce it.

If you can figure out how to make it happen predictably, tell me. I'm investigating into it myself.

15. Offline

Loose Nut

ok 0.19 installed and things are good on my end

16. Offline

morikubo

17. Offline

phaed

Meh. I'll just fork your plugin, remove the MM dependency, and re-release it for eveyone else who doesn't want to buy a car to use a cup holder.

18. Offline

DeNarr

This seems to fix my issues. I also noticed that the items that don't automatically get picked up and put into the secondary bags are the non-stackable items (specifically pork).

19. Offline

Loose Nut

A auto sorter would be nice
    /backpack1 tools weapons daimond metal torch
    /backpack2 wood stone brick glass wool
    /backpack3 food
    /backpack4 open (for whatever)
    /backpack5 loot ect

it might take a player a few minutes to set up
    but would be well worth it IMO

there are alot of items in MC but using something like "food"
    that alone covers 20 items

20. Offline

Juze

And I thought v0.13 or something was enough, I come back on the server and see all dupes, and need to restart a backup from 4 hours ago due that...

Now off to download v0.19.

21. Offline

zwarmapapa

What happends if someone dies? Will they drop all their items, or only the items from their current inventory?

22. Offline

Soul Reaper

Interesting enough no one on my server has found out a way to dupe >.>
    That would be neat, but then there would be many ways people would want to organize.

23. Offline

Afforess

Your analogy sucks because their both free. But Good luck with that. Wasn't lying about the 70%.
    --- merged: Feb 27, 2011 5:24 PM ---
    It will drop all the items in all of their inventory pages.
    --- merged: Feb 27, 2011 5:25 PM ---
    I want to get all the kinks worked out, but sorting items is definitely in the works.
    --- merged: Feb 27, 2011 5:26 PM ---
    It's already compatible, DeathChest just needs to be able to handle cases where the loot > 2 chests.

24. Offline

NathanWolf

YES. This.

Affores... I had planned to do this something like this already so I hesitate to call what I'd like to do "stealing".... but I'm totally stealing this UI for Wand. :D

I've been wanting to make Wand have it's own "spell inventory" for a while now, so you can use it without giving up your real inventory...

This is just great... do you mind if I take a gander at your source? :D

(assuming not, since it's shared and open and all...)

EDIT: Also, how are you faring with isSneaking()? Is that fixed? I had to disable my "secondary fire" system in Wand after 1.3... haven't tried it again since.

25. Offline

Afforess

Sure. Not as clean as I would like, but I prefer get it working first, clean it up later.
    --- merged: Feb 27, 2011 5:40 PM ---
    Manually checked it with notch's code.

26. Offline

NathanWolf

TYVM on both counts! I'm sure I would re-write it when integrating- it's obviously not quite the same thing as what I want to do, and I'm not a fan of copy+pasting my own code- I try to never do it with anyone else's :)

I think I've got a pretty good handle on what I want to do, but you've definitely given me some ideas. I just wish I had time to actually work on Wand :p

Also, think I'll go look at your sneaking code- if I can find where it's supposed to point, I imagine I can check in a pull request to actually fix Player.isSneaking :)

EDIT: Did this, modified CraftPlayer.isSneaking to call U instead of J- told me it wasn't accessible :p

Will look more later, I guess - maybe I just have a crufty branch.
    --- merged: Feb 27, 2011 6:20 PM ---
    BTW, inspiration aside, this is a great idea for a plugin- I might have to install it on my public server :D

27. Offline

Afforess

Now that this mod has been out and bug free (I think) for over a day -

initial impressions? Does it do what you expect? Have you found any bugs?

28. Offline

morikubo

How do i drag items between pages?
    Now i drop them on the ground.

29. Offline

Afforess

That or chests works - for the moment. A proper solution would be nice.

30. Offline

Loose Nut

I love it !
    it may be even more usefull than your minecart plugin
    and thats saying alot

31. Offline

Kostronor

Can you give Admins the option, to access other users second inventories?
    That would be very helpful!
    Thanks a lot for this nice plugin!