MachiDrop Developer Needed :)

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by BrandonHopkins, Apr 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

BrandonHopkins

[​IMG]

SO! Right to the point. I don't really have the time to be developing plugins and I have one plugin that I'd like to see updated and managed :)

So what I was wondering is if someone would want to take over the development of MachiDrop. Simply what would happen is it would still be under mine and your name (as "Manager, Author") you would update it and add features as you wanted as long as it stays with the base idea. I would manage the images and video content and give ideas/input.

If you're interested just reply. You should have at least a few decent plugins under your belt.

http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/machidrop/

Official Plugin Video

2. Offline

gomeow

What's the point of casting to Player on line 41 of MachiDrop?
    Also, you aren't casting safely.

3. Offline

skore87

gomeow you should note the method name since decompilers don't follow the same standards. For instance, MachiDrop.onCommand() starts on line 47 for me.

But for reference:
    Code:
        public boolean onCommand(CommandSender sender, Command cmd, String commandLabel, String args[]) {
            Player p = (Player)sender;
            if (p.hasPermission("machidrop.command.info") && cmd.getName().equalsIgnoreCase("machidrop")) {
                if (sender instanceof Player) {
                    p.sendMessage((new StringBuilder("MachiDrop Version ")).append(ChatColor.DARK_GREEN).append("1.3").append(ChatColor.WHITE).append(". Created by MachiDev.").toString());
                    return true;
                }
                p.sendMessage((new StringBuilder()).append(ChatColor.RED).append("No permission for the command.").toString());
            }
            return false;
        }

BrandonHopkins What he is saying is that right away you're casting sender into a Player object without first making sure that it is actually a Player object. A CommandSender object doesn't have to be a Player and can be the console or even a remote connection.

4. Offline

gomeow

skore87
    Obviously you're using the wrong decompiler :p

ShadowDog007 likes this.
  5. Offline

BrandonHopkins

@skore87 @gomeow I'm not the best developer. There is a reason I'm asking for someone to take for ;)

6. Offline

CubieX

Is this plugin still necessary, since normal tools can do the same with the "silktouch" enchantment?

7. Offline

skore87

I have a similar plugin from a while back that I haven't updated. Basically mine was for the purpose of gathering materials that weren't normally retrievable like glass. There are still many things that the enchantment you're mentioning wouldn't be capable of retrieving.

8. Offline

BrandonHopkins

Nevermind then :(

*curls in ball and cry*

9. Offline

stuntguy3000

10. Offline

breezeyboy

BrandonHopkins Ill like to help, I currently have 2 plugins... and working on one more

ClearLocks: Rewiriting and releasing new version soon
    Player lookup: Needs rewiriting.

11. Offline

gomeow

breezeyboy
    I almost died when I saw PlayerLookup, I rewrote it for you

breezeyboy likes this.
  12. Offline

devilquak

Lol, I think you need more to do :p

13. Offline

gomeow

devilquak
    What'd I miss?
    I could convert it to maven, but I don't think he'd be able to compile it

devilquak likes this.
  14. Offline

seemethere

gomeow likes this.
  15. Offline

breezeyboy

uhn?

Yep, Wouldn't beable to compile it.

Where? Github?

16. Offline

gomeow

17. Offline

breezeyboy

gomeow When I rewrite it do you want to help with the plugin on the like DBO page and stuff?

18. Offline

Zarius

Cool plugin and you've laid out the project page well. Have you seen OtherDrops though? Can do this and with full customisation of any block/tool/drops + messages/chance values/etc. - eg:

PHP:
      GRASS:
        - 
    toolshears
          drop
    grass

ICE
    :
        - 
    toolANY_HOE
          drop
    ice

GLOWSTONE
    :
        - 
    tooliron_pickaxe
          drop
    glowstone

SNOW_BLOCK
    :
        - 
    toolany_shovel
          drop
    snow_block

ANY_GLASS
    :
        - 
    toolgold_sword
          drop
    THIS

BEDROCK
    :
        - 
    actionleftclick
          tool
    gold_pickaxe
          drop
    bedrock

19. Offline

stuntguy3000

Let me rephrase:

My plugin is better than yours, and does all of what your trying to do. Stop wasting your time and download my plugin that is much better.

Download it: <link>

Here is how to do this:
    <code>

20. Offline

Zarius

stuntguy3000 - not quite :) I was in a rush so didn't really write as much as I wanted:

"Your plugin is cool however seems to be headed in the same direction as mine. I saw that you're considering custom drops sometime in the future. Here's an example of one way it could be/has been done. Both projects are GPL v3 so feel free to use part of my code under the licence if you feel it's useful."

Yes, there was a bit of "don't reinvent the wheel" in my post and I'd love to see efforts merged rather than duplicated but I also understand that everyone does things differently :)

BrandonHopkins - I wouldn't mind having a look/improving it somewhat as I do see a place for simpler/easier to approach plugins. As a GPL project though I found it odd I couldn't find the source code though - have you got a repository somewhere?

21. Offline

breezeyboy

Zarius Just use a decompiler...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.